1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Looking for a good mid layer.

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by nitevision, Sep 23, 2014.

1. nitevision

nitevision Loaded Pockets

Hi all,
    As the title states, I am looking for a good mid layer to stick between my base layer and water-resistant jacket. So far I've looked at both the TAD Ranger series, Arc'teryx Naga and Jack Wolfskin Blizzard but would like to explore other options before committing a chunk of cash on one. (As an aside, I've also looked at Westcomb but cannot find any good EU purchase options)

Some further info:
    1. Use: Will mainly be using it for everyday walking, hiking and biking. I should be able to use it independently of the water resistant outer jacket.
    2. Weather conditions: Cold, rainy and wet Northern European climate. I will definitely be moving around in the rain with this one. Not sure if it HAS to be water resistant but it is definitely a bonus.
    3. Temp range: I'd be using it in the range of around -5 to +15 degrees Celsius. If temps drop lower I guess I'll just layer more.
    Would like to hear what you guys have in mind, thanks in advance.
    Edit: Forgot the Jack Wolfskin offering.

Last edited by nitevision, Sep 23, 2014
  2. comeonbabylightmyfire

comeonbabylightmyfire Loaded Pockets

If you're in Europe you might want to look at Berghaus. I still have two polar-tec fleece jackets that I bought in 1992 and they're as good now as they were then.

Their quarter zipped, micro fleeces are good for active wear in temperatures above zero centigrade, very light and take up little room when compressed.

3. herman30

herman30 Loaded Pockets

I personally would in that case go with a wool sweater (some of the military surplus, I self have a swiss one) or a thin fleece jacket.

F-Bobby likes this.
  4. F-Bobby

F-Bobby EDC Junkie

I've got a Columbia Fleece that has the wind blocking parts and solid insulation that I use for that kinda stuff as long as it's not raining. I've got a Condor Summit for when it is raining out.

5. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

I'm a big fan of the ultra-light Primaloft "sweaters" and vests for their warmth, lightweight and stuff-sack compressibility. Patagonia's Micro Puff and Nano Puff series, at about 16 and 12 oz respectively, are a great example, but most manufacturers have their own versions. Down versions are even better but probably not advisable in wet weather.

amdmaxx likes this.
  6. amdmaxx

amdmaxx Loaded Pockets

outdoorgearlab.com/clothing-mens