1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Looking for a good budget knife

Discussion in 'Knives' started by geekandwife, Oct 26, 2014.

1. jon1all

jon1all Loaded Pockets

I agree with those who've offered up the Rat 1 & 2 folders... Ontario makes an amazingly good knife. But they do tend to be $5-$10 over your stated budget (but totally worth spending the few extra bucks for). That said... if you just can't go a little higher, the Ontario Utilitac II (which can be had for $23.16 right now on Amazon Prime)... might be the answer to your question. I have one and it's probably the single best built knife I've ever seen in this price range. It is a 3.5" blade... so if that's too long for you then save an extra $5-$10 and get the Rat 2 (also have... also awesome for the price). But pound for pound the Utilitac II is very hard to beat. An amazing knfie for the money.

All that said... if you can go into around the $40 range, you can buy a Cold Steel Mini Recon 1 Clip Point for about $40 these days on eBay (I got mine for $37 w/ free shipping a few months ago). For some reason nowadays the clip points are less expensive than the spear point or tanto blade shapes in the Mini Recon (these seem to run more in the $50+ range). Anyway, the Mini Recon 1 is an awesome knife for the money. Indestructible Tri-Ad Lock, great ergos... very decent AUS8A steel. Give 'em a look. Love mine!!!

2. CatsTide

CatsTide Loaded Pockets

Bang for the buck I'd say the Kershaw Cryo. Hard to beat for 23 bucks. I'd step it up for a few more bucks and go for the blackwash.

[​IMG]

GatorMedic likes this.
  3. Jorjor

Jorjor Empty Pockets

$ 33 Liner lock, took off the pocket clip because I like to just drop it in my pocket. Kershaw Strobe.[​IMG]

CardsNation and Adahn like this.
  4. buckkiller

buckkiller Loaded Pockets

+1 on the cryo....I liked it so much I ordered 2, BW $28.00 for my sons bday and a G10 for me $35.00. (Amazon) free shipping

[​IMG]

GatorMedic and CatsTide like this.
  5. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

So what's this to be called?
    Frame lock? Liner lock? Underground framelock?
    Btw, nice knife, I guess I'd make full scales for it, looking a bit strange around the pivot.
    How's the steel on it?

6. Hertz33

Hertz33 EDC Junkie!!!

The term is "subframe lock". The steel is a 8cr13mov like almost all China made kershaws.

Sent from my vivo Xplay using Tapatalk 2

Adahn likes this.
  7. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

I was checking the specs, sadly the knife is too big for my tastes and I have enough 8Cr13MoV blades already, better to invest a bit more in VG10 at least, maybe a Dragonfly in Dec, or a Delica, not sure, yet...

8. Dedrich

Dedrich Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

My entire collection is budget knives.

SAK classic
    chums knife
    Sanrenmu B4-762 Stainless Steel Folding Knife blade length 56mm
    Sanrenmu GR5-605 Folding Pocket Knife
    Spyderco Robyn stainless steel serrated
    Spyderco Robyn
    Spyderco Ambitious
    Sanrenmu 7063AUC-LI Stainless Steel Folding Knife 65mm blade / w/ clip / axis lock
    Kershaw half ton
    Kershaw Scallion
    Tac Force TF-686GY Assisted Opening Folding Knife 3.5-Inch Closed
    SAK Alox Farmer
    Gerber Dime

The one not pictured is GANZO G706-2 Dual Blades Stainless Steel Folding Knife black which I don't love b/c it's super hard to open. I suppose I could do something to fix it, or but instead just opted to buy more knives.

The Kershaw half ton is <$15 and it's awesome.

Disclaimer: I know nothing about steel and other refinements. I'm a newb as compared to most here, and I live in a city so none of these get much use beyond opening boxes that contain other knives. Sometimes I will slice cucumbers and tomatoes with these... ;)

Last edited by Dedrich, Nov 11, 2014
    K3X, Adahn, Water-Rat and 1 other person like this.
  9. GEARHEAD_ENG

GEARHEAD_ENG Loaded Pockets

So Geekandwife, what did you think of the Kershaw OD-2?

10. geekandwife

geekandwife Loaded Pockets

I like it. I love how quick it opens. It seems to hold a nice edge, but there is just one small thing that drives me crazy. It is a tip up knife so I cannot carry it it as I have carried most knives though the years. So now I carry it 5th pocket and it's so light I forget it is even there.

Water-Rat likes this.