1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Looking for a Formal Friendly Bag

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Bear76, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Bear76

Bear76 Loaded Pockets

Hey All,
    It's another one of those threads seeking help by crowdsourcing suggestions. I've been googling like crazy but I just can't decide what I need to fit the bill. I am looking for a bag that would look normal enough to carry even when going out to relatively upscale places with the wife. I've been carrying my gear in a Lunada and was happy for a while but it has started to fall apart which is disappointing. I think I am done with Maxpedition honestly.

I carry an iPad, small medkit, charger cables, extra battery about the size of 1.5 card decks, a multitool, and a few other things that would fit in a maxped edc pouch, and my Glock 26. I'm leaning towards building a custom Timbuk2 so I can tone down the insane colors but I'm unsure which size would be best.

Seriously appreciation for any and all suggestions. Money isn't really an object if you know of a truly great fit.

2. Municipal_Jedi

Municipal_Jedi Loaded Pockets

You could check out the Saddleback line of bags, they are very classy and wouldn't look out of place in near any environment.

If you really like the Timbuk2 stuff the great thing is they are widely distributed and you can probably find a local store that has them in stock; this allows you to physically handle the bag to determine the size that fits your needs.

sungame likes this.
  3. chrisr

chrisr Loaded Pockets

Not sure how "upscale" your bag needs to be, but Levenger has some good quality leather bags that might work for you. I think leather in general looks dressier than anything in cloth, Cordura, and the like.

sungame likes this.
  4. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

If you have a lot of money to spend, you cannot go wrong with a stylish leather bag when it comes to classy and formal friendly bags.

The Saddlebacks look great! If you want something more modern with just a touch of color, check out Italian leather company mywalit. Don't let the bright colors on the front page scare you off, most of their bags can be had in more toned down brown, black and grey color schemes.

5. patrat

patrat Loaded Pockets

Leather briefcase could be nice, also consider maybe an old school hard side briefcase, like samsonite.

6. CanvasNBrass

CanvasNBrass Loaded Pockets

I vote for Levenger as well. God. I love that company. The last bastion of gentleman office supplies!

keeper likes this.
  7. lekvar

lekvar Loaded Pockets

The rule of thumb I was taught is brown leather is the go-to for men's formal: Belt, shoes, watch strap, bag, etc. Not exclusively, of course, but the starting point. Canvas and nylon are great fabrics for bags, light and durable, but definitely informal. They are outside my pay scale, but Saddleback bags are universally loved by the internets, for what it's worth.

I've found some good-looking bags at modernmanbags.com (good lord do I hate that name) but I can't find any impartial reviews of their products. Can anyone here comment as to the quality and build? I find their price point is suspiciously low.

8. Bear76

Bear76 Loaded Pockets

Awesome! Thanks so much for the replies. Will definitely give it a look and see if I can find something that will fit. I love leather myself but was a bit concerned about the stiffness for hauling around all day long. I assume it would soften up a bit with use. I never let my EDC bag get more than a few feet away so where I go it goes.

9. chrisr

chrisr Loaded Pockets

I have a leather messenger bag that is convertible to a backpack when needed- it has softened up some- but not so much that it has lost its shape. I was inspired by the Levenger version but found another company that made a similar model for half the price. That leaves more money for gadgets to fill the bag. :bounce:

10. nbmaine2007

nbmaine2007 Loaded Pockets

Timbuk2 for sure. Leather bags don't do it for me.

11. Warfusion
    • In Omnia Paratus

Warfusion Loaded Pockets

I always suggest the bag of holding great bag strong made of canvas So you can change it's color and looks good casual and professional. Can be a backpack, messenger, or soft briefcase.

Sent from my Android toothbrush!

TomWelch likes this.
  12. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

If you’re into leather, AFAIK Aunts & Uncles make some nice bags.

13. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

TomWelch likes this.
  14. jim from california

jim from california Loaded Pockets

15. Bear76

Bear76 Loaded Pockets

Ahh man so many options. I really appreciate all the suggestions. I actually went by modernmanbags and despite the horrible name I found a couple of bags I liked in waxed canvas. Not quite as formal as leather but way more formal than my current Maxped array which I will probably sell soon.

16. Blaker55

Blaker55 Loaded Pockets

Could check out some of the bags by Tom Bihn. Supposedly made in USA and they have quite a cult following. I had an Ego Briefcase from them that I gave to my son-in-law. He's been using it for a couple of years and loves it.

17. keeper
    • In Omnia Paratus

keeper Loaded Pockets

check out vintage Coach briefcase on ebay. Amazing quality, and if you look around good prices

lekvar likes this.