1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Looking for a floody 1x CR123 light.

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by hiljentaa, Dec 22, 2012.

1. hiljentaa

hiljentaa Loaded Pockets

Hey guys,

Currently I am using a Fenix E11 1x AA light for work carry. It does its job at being a cheap light that I don't worry too much about, but I am looking for something 'better'. The Fenix is too spotty for my taste, and the two modes are quite similar in perceived brightness.

So, I've been considering the 1x CR123 platform.

The thing that appeals to me about 1x CR123 lights is that they can be pretty short. I'm hoping to get something short enough to fit in the fifth pocket in my jeans, or with a pocket clip.

I'm hoping you guys can point me in the direction of a ~$40 light that is mostly flood, and one hand operable! Like I mentioned before, I'd like something short enough to fit in the fifth pocket, or with a pocket clip. I'd love to find something not black, but that's not a deal breaker at all.

I haven't really delved into my search too deep, but so far I came across these three options:

Olight i1 Stainless:

[​IMG]

Nitecore SENS CR123:

[​IMG]

Fenix E15:
    [​IMG]

Now, I'm not sure which of those are floody and which are spotty. (Flashlight specs are like reading Vietnamese to me!) I have also heard that the E15 doesn't have a lot of threading on the head making it prone to come unglued when in the off position. So, I'm looking for your suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by hiljentaa, Dec 22, 2012
  2. defuse kit

defuse kit Loaded Pockets

If you want to stick with AA, the zebra light H502W is pretty floody. Short, angled, pretty cool. It'll be my next light :)

stax and Blerv like this.
  3. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

The XML lights are going to be more floody than XPG (and those are more floody than XP-E or XR-E). Given the same size reflector at least.

You might look up shots of the Foursevens MiNi 123 with the XML. Forgot what the new name is. The Zebralight SC52 is more floody than the SC51 and uses AA or 14500 for 280 (rated) to over 500 lumens. The 502 is cool as mentioned above, also AA, with no hot spot. Ie: crazy flood.

4. AB.AlexB

AB.AlexB Loaded Pockets

Get something with an XPG then mod it to a Nichia 219.

5. hiljentaa

hiljentaa Loaded Pockets

Cheers, thanks with the emitter deciphering help! Looks like the Foursevens you spoke of is called the ML-X.

https://www.foursevens.com/product_info.php?products_id=2863

That and the Olight i1 both have the XML emitter, so those sound like good options so far. Would love to hear more, though!

6. CrazyHighVoltage

CrazyHighVoltage Loaded Pockets

if u want a floody light i would recomend a light with an xml emitter such as the olight i1
    also check out the eagletac d25c mini /d25c clicky
    the olight s10 and sunwayman with v11r/m11r/c10r

and are u going to use rechargebles or primary's
    do u use ur light a long time continuasly on high?
    if not just geth olight i1 and put in a 16340 lion because it will put out 440lumens but will get hot pretty quick
    good luck

CrazyHighVoltage

7. hiljentaa

hiljentaa Loaded Pockets

Not really interested in modding, to be honest. Just want something plug and play.

Is the Nichia 219 emitter quite floody? If so, do you know of any stock 219 1x 123 lights?

8. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

My use of "floody" regarding the XML isn't super accurate. It's still a decent thrower due to the extra lumens over the XPG, just a bigger hotspot and more pronounced spill. Googling for beamshots on the various lights should help as well :).

The Nichia 219 is more or less a competitor to the Cree XPG. It's smaller than the XML and given the same reflector will be more narrow focused.

A basic rule I use is head diameter vs led. It's crude but the larger the die and smaller the head the larger the hotspot; the bigger the head and smaller the die the more focused. Of course, there are far more details but that should get ya closer than just guessing :).

Ps: on this same basic rule check out the AAA XPG beamshots. Due to the tiny reflectors they are almost all flood. Preon2, Eiger, etc.

9. hiljentaa

hiljentaa Loaded Pockets

Hmm, the Sunwayman M11R is appealing, but the price is a bit higher than what I was looking to spend.

The Eagletac D25C also looks like another nice option.

Probably will start off with non-rechargables.

This light's primary use will be for inspecting my vehicle in the mornings. It doesn't get used continuously for very long - usually about 20-30 minutes at most, but it gets switched on and off several times during that time period.

Thanks for the tip on the Li-Ions, I will look into that.

Last edited by hiljentaa, Dec 22, 2012
  10. hiljentaa

hiljentaa Loaded Pockets

Well guys, I think I'm just going to get the Olight i1 for now to see how I like the CR123 platform.

That was my first instinct, and after some more research it looks like it will be the best option considering my current budget and planned usage.

Plus, it matches all of my other stainless gear.:p

11. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

That right there ^

It is a little more than you want to spend and not 123 but WOW!! I have the cool white and the 502d I like the cool.

[​IMG]
    mumbo H502 size by mumbojumboo, on Flickr

stax, KAMM and defuse kit like this.
  12. CrazyHighVoltage

hiljentaa likes this.
  13. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

Not sure if you've already made your purchase, but I'd put a ThruNite T21 on your short list too. From their E-Bay store, the $25 shipped price is hard to beat.

http://stores.ebay.com/Thrunite-Flashlight

I'm strictly a AA/14500 person and have some of the mini lights recommended above but in they're AA versions - 47s MiniAA, D25A clicky, SC52, and more - and I will say that one of my favorites and best value lights is the ThruNite T10. The T20 and T21 seem to be of the same design. (Not crazy about the Ti though)

14. hiljentaa

hiljentaa Loaded Pockets

15. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

The clip on the i1 i2 and i3 is so nice, and the UI is just flawless on those lights, i edc the i2 every day, and love it.

16. hiljentaa

hiljentaa Loaded Pockets

The clip is the main reason I bought the i3 initially, which also pointed me in the direction of the i1.

It's amazing how few flashlights have well made integrated clips. Particularly AAA lights, since they are sized so perfectly for pocket carry.

17. Sniperx7

Sniperx7 Loaded Pockets

The thrunite neutron (link) series is regarded as rather floody.

sx7

18. ico

ico Loaded Pockets

Any light with a normal reflector would be relatively floody than your E11 because IIRC, it uses an optic that is somehow alike to surefire that provides a very throwy beam. If you can go at stores that let customers test some lights i think you would already appreciate most of the lights with a normal reflector on. The zebralight H502 is a pure flood light so it is normally preferred for close up tasks as it will give you a very short throw.
    If you like to use CR123s, the fenix E15 would suit you. 4sevens also has a mini cr123 light that has 3 main modes and 3 other hidden modes. It is now under foursevens and sorry if i cant rememer its new name.

Mumbojumboo likes this.
  19. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

Often a SMO reflector will throw further but with a ugly beam. The E11 likely owes its performance to the XRE; a LED that has a very intense surface brightness.

20. CrazyHighVoltage

i know u will like it:D
    and wat are the chances u orderd both of those lights :frantic:

CrazyHighVoltage