1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Looking for a flashlight / power bank combo that uses USB-C

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by benbergman, Nov 9, 2018.

1. benbergman

benbergman Empty Pockets

I'm looking for a pocket flashlight that can double as a power bank. My phone uses USB-C, so I'm looking for something USB-C based. Thanks to the dual direction of USB-C, this should in theory allow the power bank to just have one USB connector for power in and out. I'm not too picky about the flashlight side, though a low and high setting would be nice. Bonus points if the powerbank has an integrated USB-C cable so I can avoid having to carry one of those in my pocket too. Something with swappable 18650s would be an added bonus so I can leave a couple charged spare cells in my bag.

So far in my searching I've found power bank flashlights, and USB-C power banks, but I have yet to find a combo unit.

2. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I'm sure you've thought this through, but I'll add maybe $0.005 to the discussion...

Murphy's Law just about guarantees that by using a light source as a power bank, when you REALLY need that light source you'll find you've already depleted it and just plumb didn't get around to recharging it yet... Murphy's never wrong. Really. He told me so! ;)

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

ZMZ67 likes this.
  3. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

my two cents.. have a look at the thrunite c2 powerbank. you can take out the 18650 battery. so you can swap batteries when they are broken and the unit doubles as a battery charger.

I understand a flashlight would be nice in it, but maybe add a little USB chip LED light like this: https://de.aliexpress.com/item/Mini-USB-Power-LED-Wei-es-Licht-ultra-low-power-2835-chips-0-2-Watt-Tasche/32859674077.html

you can also check ebay for those solar/powerbank/flashlight combinations. Probably you can find one that even works as a mobile speaker.

4. benbergman

benbergman Empty Pockets

That is a fair point moshe. For me, I occasionally need a flashlight and I occasionally need a spare battery. Ideally I would carry one of each in my pockets at all times, but there is only so much I can carry comfortably. I already carry a spare battery in my backpack, but don't always have the backpack within easy reach. I figure if I make a point of charging the thing each day it has been used and leaning on the spare in my backpack as a backup I should be okay.

There is definitely the chance I'll forget to recharge it, but the same goes for just using a normal flashlight (either not changing batteries early enough or not charging it). I guess having it serve multiple purposes ups to odds, but the chance is always there.

And thanks for the suggestion flux. I'm hoping for USB-C to better match my devices, but it is good to see that some of these power banks have replaceable batteries. I'm considering just getting a battery bank that checks most of the boxes and modifying it to add the light on myself. A simple plug-in light unit would make that pretty easy.