1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Looking for a fair and unbias recent (2017) opinion on Maxpedition

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Byfrost, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Byfrost

Byfrost Loaded Pockets

Hey guys

I know, the Maxpedition is a controversial brand here. I’ve read the entire thread on this:

https://www.edcforums.com/threads/maxpedition.54279/

and some Reddit discussion here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/BuyItForLife/comments/5kxmmg/maxpedition_just_dont/

https://www.reddit.com/r/EDC/comments/2p5yxb/maxpedition_rant/

However, I did notice occasionally a good review on their customer service pops up. I am looking at their flagship Falcon 2 backpack, (there was a buy 2 for the price of 1 cyber Monday deal, which I missed it intentionally as I have read plenty of bad reviews on the brand).

I was hoping to “give Maxpedition a chance” and treat all the above as “juvenile business mistakes” made by a young and small company.

Does anyone here have any recent experience with Maxpedition in 2017? Have they improved as a whole, or still as "bad" as before? Are their legacy products still as "bad"? I have read reviews that stitching gave way, buckle broke, refusal to honor warranty and many other reasons.. Should I give Maxpedition a chance or is Maxpedition is still a brand to avoid at all cost?

#1 Byfrost, Dec 6, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  2. Pendragon

Pendragon Empty Pockets

I have a Maxpedition Fatboy Jumbo that I bought in 2009, IIRC. I have dragged that thing through hell and back in the field. It's dusty. That's it. The grab handle has like one or two loose stitches, which, after 8 years, I am completely fine with. I have had that thing on mountains, in swamps, and in thorny thickets, rain or shine, day in-day out. It has never failed me. One of the best purchases I ever made.

3. Jay-uk

Jay-uk Loaded Pockets

I have stacks of maxpedition stuff bags , pouches etc
    For me the older stuff was better made the newer stuff the stitching isn't as firm and solid ,also the newer stuff material seems to attract dog fur and fluff.

Overall it's pretty tough but hazard 4 and 5.11 , vanquest seem to be better value such higher quality .
    Just me view

Byfrost likes this.
  4. Byfrost

Byfrost Loaded Pockets

I have a 5.11 Rush 12 and a Vanquest EDCM Slim organiser. I like Vanquest too but they do not have a backpack like Rush 12 / Maxped Falcon 2. Also, I don't really like the design of Vanquest bags generally, not to my tastes. However I do prefer vanquest pocket organizer over Maxped ones.

5. Jay-uk

Jay-uk Loaded Pockets

If your thinking of Rush style have you seen first tactical stuff? Looks good

6. Byfrost

Byfrost Loaded Pockets

Saw it, nothing caught my eye. Would prefer 5.11 Rush 12.

Jay-uk likes this.
  7. Caleb

Caleb Loaded Pockets

As far as I'm concerned there is a bit of a stigma attached to the name, however I have a Kodiak Gear Slinger that has been absolutely thrashed as a tool kit for 7 years and it has held up well. It's got a hole worn through one of the corners, which would have happened to any piece of gear used the way it has, and it has a cut on the top where an open box cutter got it. It's got some cosmetic stitching flaws, but nothing that is coming undone.

Most of my gear is Mystery Ranch and some Spec-Ops stuff, and while I wouldn't put Maxped anywhere near those in quality or "ethics", I would trust their gear to basically hold up through hard use. I probably won't be buying any more Maxped stuff since the prices are still fairly inflated for what it is but I would still rate it above anything 5.11 that I've handled. For Maxped prices you can get Mystery Ranch Clark Field gear, which is worlds better, with immaculate quality and customer service.

My opinion is a bit biased because of all the monkey business in the past. I didn't go to the links you posted but I remember most of it and there's been recent nonsense that I don't care for as well. I sure wouldn't judge anyone for having the gear but nowadays there's just so many good options that it's silly to get hung up on one brand.

Byfrost likes this.
  8. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I picked up one of the FliegerDuffel? a while back on a clearance sale and it has been a beast for me.
    Not slick and smooth like most other bags but that is sort of the deal with all Maxped. stuff from what I can tell too.

I have checked it on airlines and dragged it through all kinds of ugly travel stuffed with clothes and over stuffed with tools and it show no signs of wear at all!
    All of the small organizers I have are also flawless and most are not that easy to get closed considering how much I stuff them too.

I would not be deterred in buying more as long as the price was right.

surefire7 likes this.
  9. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

Considering how many no-name, thread-for-thread clones have been made of their products, I would guess they've received whatever perceived karma was headed their way. In other words, I wouldn't feel bad at all for buying their products. I still use a Kodiak as my main EDC and just can't seem to find a bag anywhere that checks all the boxes that my Kodiak does (although the Vertx Commuter sling is close). It's extremely tough, has almost perfect organization, looks cool (although, I'm starting to head in the less tactical/more discreet direction), and I dig the ergos of the single sling design as long as I don't overload it. I was seriously thinking about going for their holiday BOGO sale and just putting one on eBay to recover some of the costs, but I need to spend money on other things at the moment.

Byfrost likes this.
  10. Byfrost

Byfrost Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the input guys, yes, I agree that there are better options at similar prices no doubt. Sometimes, you are just attracted to that one product that particular brand offers. As for Maxped having a stigma, I guess this topic is kinda "taboo" to discuss considering what they have done in the past. If you do enough research, the 3 links I posted on my first post in this thread is just the tip of the iceberg of their past "poor" business ethics and services.

Here is another one:

https://kitup.military.com/2014/01/maxpedition-pulls-knife-line-dispute.html

When I purchase something, I try my best to purchase that product from a company with proper business ethics, as well as with good reputable customer service and a brand that stand behind their products no questions asked. A backpack, like a good watch, is something that I personally have sentimental value when I use it over time. I am the person that I want to be sure my hard earn money goes into the right pockets and supporting the company.

Hence, I have started this thread in hopes of Maxpedition have improved and learned their lesson from the past 7 years or so. If Maxpedition have genuinely changed for the better and shown improvement in every aspect (Quality of products, customer service standards, warranty issues etc...). I don't mind giving them a chance by purchasing an item or two.

11. landwire
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

For years, I avoided purchasing stuff from them because of their actions here on the forum. People make mistakes, grow up and hopefully mature a little bit. Other than stories of slipping quality control, I haven't heard anything overly negative in awhile so I checked them out. Turns out that my taste has moved on and I don't care for the way their stuff looks now. I'm not an operator. I don't like my bag suggesting that I am carrying or that I have stuff worth taking.

12. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I bought a "preowned" Falcon II, some Tac Ties, a Bottle Holder, and I believe one of the pocket organizers in 2012 off of Ebay. A fellow had purchased them before deciding, likely as I did, that the bag and bottle holder was too stiff to be of ergonomic use. I packed mine as a GHB and left alone for four years (although I did check on the content). I sold it around New Years 2017 on Ebay to a European gent.

I never "liked" the stuff, but I didn't dislike it either. Regarding the new items, they don't produce anything I want or need. I've purchased several other Maxpedition items over the years (more organizers, web dominators, an EDC Versipack, universal holster), all off of Amazon, and I've never had a problem with the products. I've never had any direct interaction with the company.

I used a Vanquest Trident 20 as an EDC bag through late 2015 until spring 2017 swapping it out for a Goruck GR1 26L which I deemed too big and cut back substantially on unnecessary EDC items. I now use a Goruck Bullet 10L bag for EDC and must say it's almost ideal with some room to spare. I ended up selling my Vanquest bag and organizer somewhere on Ebay.

13. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

I've edced a Sitka for years now. Tough, checks most of my boxes. I've modified it knowing it would void their warranty, but also knowing it's close to bulletproof as is. I had it a year without mods as a shakedown for any necessary claim. And to learn what I liked and didn't like. then modded on the view that it had shown it's inherent quality in my sample and would hold up even with my modifications. I cut out the unpadded handle on the long side. It was just in the wrong place and kept flopping into the path of the zippers. Cut off the Velcro field for morale patches. I did the unpardonable and trimmed off logos too. After I know it will do what I want reliably, I don't worry about the warranty and do what I want with it.

14. steeps

steeps Loaded Pockets

Have you got some loadout pictures of your Bullet you could post? I’m always looking for ways to
    lessen my load.

15. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

Sure! Hoping not to hijack the thread here...

Exterior to interior views. The smaller Multicam pouch that shows up is a little survival pouch I don't "EDC" but take on road trips and when away from home. We happen to be going out of town this weekend to check out some Christmas sites so I included it. I have a contentious relationship with that trauma kit. The Altoids tin is a med kit (Rx & OTC) with BandAids and Dermabond. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I don't make very good shots. All of my vacation pictures are blurry or crooked, lol.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Myrddraal likes this.
  16. joejep

joejep Loaded Pockets

Have more Maxped bags than I would like to admit, but have slowed down due to a few factors.

1). They always seem smaller than what their specs suggest due to access design flaws/tight openings/weirdly shaped zipper design.

2). They are chunky and stiff, especially the AGR bags. Other brands opt for looser/softer materials that give, move, and allow for easier packing and movement. -but are less durable.

3). Older gen bags seemed to break in and become old friends. The new AGR bags’ zippers take forever to loosen up and still require two hands due to bends and corners that are hard to negotiate.

4). The new pouches are bigger than the space available in the bigger bags that carry them. When you throw a CCW in the back pocket and it pushes into the storage area leaving insufficient room for other items.

5). Maxped.com deals always seem to entice me to expand my purchases to buy stuff I don’t ever use, and the freebies are items they couldn’t sell otherwise. Be careful.

A few positives.

1). Quality throughout. Just buy up a size and open your wallet.

2). My experience with customer service has been good. My returns have gone well, and concerns have always been resolved. Buy through Amazon prime for easier returns and usually some of the best prices.