1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Looking for a EDC flashlight, is Nitecore EC25 a good choice?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by cjtroxtell, Oct 2, 2013.

1. cjtroxtell

cjtroxtell Empty Pockets

Been looking for a EDC light that will have some nice light output whether I need to light up a HVAC panel that I can't see in, under a house, attic, a dark corridor or light up my back yard. I saw the Nitecore EC25 and took a liking to it, I was thinking about it with a Orbitronics 3400mah 18650. Any opinions?

2. Nice

Nice Loaded Pockets

The EC25 is a good light, but for edc it is a little too big. If you want to stick to 18650s I suggest the Olight S20 L2 Baton. It is a great great light!

3. Renegade Style

Renegade Style Loaded Pockets

Darkvim SK-C30
    a very light keychain flashlight with one AAA battery and 200 lumen.

4. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

IMHO consider the Fenix E25, use 2 AA. Batteries are inexpensive and found every where. The E25 is a little bigger than a the Nitecore EC25, but not by much.
    • High - 187 Maximum Lumens - Run Time 2 hr. 20 min.

• Mid - 90 Lumens - Run Time 6 hr. 15 min.

• Low - 27 Lumens - Run Time 26 Hr.
    • While not as powerful as the Nitecore. The Fenix E25 throws a clean spot with spill for the first few yards/meters.

5. jerit

jerit Loaded Pockets

If you're working on panels, crawling around in attics, under house, and in other dark places, (sounds like Halloween haunted house activity), you really do need to look at the Fenix HP25. You can read fine print on low (4 lumens), or light up your backyard and part of your neighbors on turbo (180 lumens). It has dual emitters, so you can use it on flood or spot. You can remove the unit from the headband and edc it when you're no crawling around in those dark places. Alas, it runs on 4xAAs and not 18650s. Get yourself 4 2900 Ah rechargeable NiMh AAs and never look back...

6. derfyled

derfyled Loaded Pockets

200 lumens from a single AAA is impossible. The only way you could reach these numbers would be with a lithium-Ion (4,2 volts). Even high end lights don't reach these values. Chinese manufacturer increase these numbers for marketing purpose. The real value is probably around 60-80 lumens.

The brightest AAA light right now puts out about 120-140 lumens and that's with a top bined XP-G2. There is simply not enough power in an AAA to reach 200 lumens with today's emitter and the heat generated by such brightness has to be thermally controlled for a maximum of about 1 minute. There is not enough material in a standard AAA light to act as a proper heatsink.

Even the XP-G2 Preon is rated at 70 lumens...

Last edited by derfyled, Oct 23, 2013
  7. Blitzwing
    • In Omnia Paratus

Blitzwing Loaded Pockets

I have the ec25 and love it.. It's a powerhouse.. 860 lumens on turbo and it Lights up everything.. Easy controls, rugged and the cool thing is if you drop it in the dark the switch is lit and flashes blue to locate it.. It also serves as a low battery indicator and if you loosen then tighten the tail cap it will flash a code equal to the current battery voltage.

It's my vote

8. Renegade Style

yes that`s correct, i just quoted the advertising, actually the Darkvim is a little less brighter, than the Thrunite Tis, which has 60 lumens.
    But as a EDC lamp it is usefull, cause it is small.

9. derfyled

derfyled Loaded Pockets

The price seems very good for an handy little flashlight. I just wish it had a second lower level for battery economy. Overall, it seems like a descent little EDC light with a very nice look.

10. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

Ack... Companies that exaggerate badly see no $$ from me just on principle.

11. Renegade Style

I found the Thrunite Ti an Ti2, they have this second lower level. the Darkvim is only good for searching the keylock at the door or when no other light is available.