1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Looking For A Cheap & Cool EDC Storage Solution? Read On...

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by lowes48, Nov 17, 2010.

1. lowes48

lowes48 Loaded Pockets

Hey Guys,

I thought I would post my latest mod and see if it might inspire some craftiness from my interweb brethren… Anyway, here goes…

This “Bedside Valet Storage Containment System” started life as a lowly cigar box but has now made my day-to-day ritual a bit easier. I have been piling my EDC stuff on the end of the kitchen counter for the entire 5 years we have lived in our current house, and everything has been going fine until recently. For the past month or so I have noticed that I lose a bit more real estate each day to foreign invaders such as baby clothes/toys, magazines, laptops, etc, which all seem to crowd on or near my precious claim at the end of the bar. I consider myself to be a reasonably intelligent man, so I know there will be no end to the overcrowding and someone will have to surrender. My lovely wife and Mother-In-Law, (who is literally our “Nanny” during the day while we are at work) are the co-conspirators, so I know I won’t win. I have acknowledged defeat and have set up shop somewhere else; I decided the nightstand on my side of the bed would be a good spot where I shouldn’t get any pressure, so on with the show!

I had been eyeing the impressive custom valet trays made by mr2blue and other notable storage options that range from plastic tackle boxes and Pelican cases to Gerstner machinist tool boxes! I did see where some guys stated they simply used an old cigar box and I thought that was an excellent idea and cheap as well! So I found a favorite box and started work! A quick trip to Wally World netted me some colored craft foam and felt. The foam would be used for the bottom of the box to cushion anything dropped into it and the felt would be used on the bottom of the box to keep it from potentially scratching the nightstand and to also give it some purchase so it wouldn’t slide around. The foam and felt come in several colors, so the box could be lined with your favorite color or colors easily. I thought about a few color schemes for the foam and felt but ultimately decided to go with LEATHER! Being a part time strap maker, I had some really nice hide in stock that suited the box well IMO. I did use a piece of foam for the bottom of the box as planned, but as you can see it was covered with leather along with the sides which will further protect my stuff from bumps and bruises while being loaded into the box.

The box proved to be a bit of a bear in that it has concave sides and it was hard to precisely measure how much I needed for each segment. From the pics you can tell the final cuts were a bit rough, but I like it and it actually works better than I expected! I might make another one for myself or more in general if anyone is interested, so this one will be considered Prototype #1. Hopefully future iterations will turn out with a more finished look. Thanks for checking it out! Anyone else have a similar project to show? I would be interested to see what you guys can come up with!

And just in case anyone wants to know what is usually in my pockets every day, see below…

1. Watch – 44mm Marina Militare. This usually changes at least weekly but the box provides excellent storage for the one watch I’m currently wearing at any given time. I brushed the CG with a ScotchBrite pad in preparation of this one turning into a destro 219 homage. My new dial from Jackson should be here soon! And isn’t that an awesome strap?
    2. Keys – Nothing on the ring except the keyless entry fob to my truck, ignition key and house key. I hate having to carry a lot of keys…
    3. Flashlight – Ultrafire 1-AAA Cell. Got this from dealextreme and it is a bright lil’ sucka! Best $12.00 I spent on myself last Xmas!
    4. Knife – Benchmade Benchmite. Awesome EDC blade for general duty IMO. Not for heavy duty applications, but it suits my needs well and was cheap relative to the cost of other knives I have in my collection. It has been modified with internals (different spring), from a cheap knock-off so it opens automatically when the button is pushed now! I do carry other blades for different purposes when needed as well, but for EDC at the office this is my go-to.
    5. Pen – Fisher Space Pen. EVERYONE NEEDS ONE OF THESE IN THEIR POCKET AT ALL TIMES! Nothing further to add…
    6. Lip Balm – Carmex. Good stuff!
    7. Wallet – Coach Card Holder. All the wallet I have needed for over 3 years now. Well made and hardly noticeable in my pocket.
    8. Cash – Usually deficient in this EDC category…
    9. Phone – Old iPhone 3G with pimpish Osir carbon fiber cover. She has been a pretty good phone but I’m hoping Mr. Claus will upgrade me to the iPhone 4!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Polygeist

Polygeist Loaded Pockets

Looks like it turned out well! Good job! I like the idea.

If you would be willing to, I might be interested in having you make me one. Send me a PM with details like price and sizing.

3. Eagle Scout
    • In Omnia Paratus

Eagle Scout Loaded Pockets

Nice work. Your gear must all smell good!

4. shadyscott999

shadyscott999 Loaded Pockets

5. kingcole

kingcole Loaded Pockets

That is a FANTASTIC idea. Headed to the local cigar shop after work tomorrow! Thanks for the idea!

6. Russ Prechtl

Russ Prechtl EDC Junkie!!!!!

Nicely done! Great job with this. The liner is a neat idea!

I'm making something like this out of Mahogany. It will have a drawer on the front for the EDC Items and a charging rack on top for cell phones. The chargers will plug into a terminal strip hidden in an inside compartment.

7. MontaukTrl

MontaukTrl Loaded Pockets

I know you can also get Felt with adhesive on one side at places like Hobby Lobby and Michaels. The local tobacco shops sells really nice boxes for about a dollar a piece and my father uses them for a fountain pen collection and he uses the adhesive felt to line them.

8. Architect5

Architect5 Empty Pockets

Great job on the storage box. I have been admiring the edc things you have. Where can I get one of those watch bands?

9. lowes48

lowes48 Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the comments guys! And I sent you a PM Architect5 about where to get one of my straps... I make them!

10. Architect5

Architect5 Empty Pockets

Thanks for getting back to me, I sent you an email. Apparently I do not have enough posts to send a PM.

11. xtal

xtal Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the suggestion. I have a couple of cigar boxes that will now be dutifully lined.

12. tsacain

tsacain Loaded Pockets

I use cigar boxes for storing my collection of knives. So far I have 3 of them. But for my edc dump I have this big carved wood bowl in the shape of a leaf that I got from the thrift store for $.50. I dump everything in there and once a week or so shred the receipts and put the change in a bucket.

13. Foxfire

Foxfire Loaded Pockets

Nice job on the EDC box. Looks great.

14. miller4546

miller4546 Loaded Pockets

i actually line them and make duck call holder out of mine cigar boxes.

15. pathalogical

pathalogical Loaded Pockets

That's a great idea ! I would consider putting the watch in a cloth-type pouch. If someone moves the box, the contents may contact the watch face and possibly scratch it.