1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Looking for a car light

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by TOPOS, May 16, 2016.

1. pantagana23

pantagana23 Loaded Pockets

Hello,
    Not to make another thread with the same title, I would to steal this thread a bit, as I'm looking for a car light also

Anyway, what I'm looking for is decent runtime at max (my idea would be max on 120+ lumens, and lasting for at least 6+ hours on this). 3 or 4 AAA power would be optimum, as they're not bulky, but can last a while; easily replacable on any gas station also. The less modes the better. I don't need 1000 lumens to light up under my hood, or strobe for that matter. Only high, or high-low mode would be sufficient.
    Baterry drain in off is unacceptable, as this would be sitting in car for a long time before use.

Started looking at Maglite XL50, however, saw on amazon reports that the tailcap switch dies in 3 weeks or so; also battery drain in off mode.

Coast has some 3xAAA options, but same problem as with Maglite.

So, want to find a light with above mentioned characteristics, but a quality one, which I could keep for the next 10 years in my car. And in case of trouble, that the parts would be easily replacable.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TOPOS likes this.
  2. TOPOS

TOPOS Loaded Pockets

have you considered a headlamp? there are lots of 2 aaa or 3aaa options with only one or two modes and a very long battery life. They're also perfect for looking under your hood like you mentioned

3. pantagana23

Headlamps don't appeal me much, would like a standard lamp more.
    Under 3 aaa batteries wouldn't do for me, because I want over 6 hours on 120+.
    When I saw Maglite XL50 initially, I was in love. I need something alike, but with more quality put into it

4. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

Don't be fooled by slimy marketing tactics and gaming of ANSI rules... here's the output/runtime graph of that 6+ hours XL50

[​IMG]

3xAAA is a terrible battery config - it's the cheap way to reach the LED forward voltage (instead of using a boost driver), and more costly to the user. AAA batteries have less than 1/2 the energy of a AA, yet cost nearly the same, and are not as readily available.

As a general rule, on a standard Eneloop AA you can only expect ~200 (real) lumen-hours per cell from an efficient light, less on alkalines, more on expensive lithium primaries (L91s). You are asking for 720 lumen hours (6x120), and so would need a 3-4 AA "beer can" type light.

Personally, I suggest a mechanical clicky (no parasitic drain) 1 or 2 AA multi-mode light, and use lower modes for runtime, with brief use of higher modes. With the exception of night time bicycling (movement at speed), 99% of my flashlight usage is <20 lms - to maintain my night vision, general comfort (less light/dark contrast), and crazy long battery life. If needed for conspicuity, use a light with a slow steady warning blinky which is more noticeable, and battery efficient.

I'd suggest an Eagletac D25A or 2A.

5. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

What about a rechargeable one? Jetbeam C8 is about £35.

6. pantagana23

Interesting observations. You seem up to game on flashlights.

Where did you find this report anyway?

What would you say on Nitecore EA41, Fenix LD41, or Thrunite TN4A?

Both claim 14-15 hours on my desired illumination; they are a bit bulky, but their autonomy seems excellent.
    Haven't read reviews so far, will do later

7. turbo6

turbo6 Loaded Pockets

My friend has an LD41, I have an E41. Both excellent lights, top notch build quality and efficient run times.

8. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

I used to be a flashaholic, and used to test lights and batts with a lux meter, ammeter and for runtime - I hate :censored: marketing claims. Just google for "maglite xl50 review" and that review/graph will come up, led-resources did it. It's an old review, lumens are up now with updated LEDs, but quite sure the graph will look the same.

Of those, Fenix has the best reputation... I don't own any of those lights, but they're likely electronic clickies, so if you don't want parasitic drain, you better check if a half twist will mechanically lock it out... parasitic drain should take years, decades even, but when an electronic clicky goes bad, they can drastically accelerate drain. All those companies exaggerate some, and you likely need the 2450 mah Eneloop Pros to approach those runtimes (don't expect to get that runtime on Alkalines).

I'm personally not a fan of big, high lumen lights... when you need to cover up to ~1000 lumens, you forfeit good low-end mode spacing.... and I'd much rather have a good range of low modes since I use lights mostly for close task work (where bright modes are outright painful).

9. USMC1911er

USMC1911er Loaded Pockets

I am not sure on the 6 hr run time but this is the set-up I use and have been very happy with. I carry Surefires, HDS, and many other nice flashlights but I try not to abandon them in my car in the middle of Houston. This thing stays plugged in to my charger port at all times so I don't have to worry about needing a flashlight and the battery being dead. This was $20 at a gun show and I have been very satisfied with it. It came with the splitter also.
    [​IMG]

10. 343KD

343KD Loaded Pockets

I see where you already bought a light(s)
    The first thing I thought of when I read the topic was a rechargeable Streamlight. Many fire/police/ems units will either wire a charger into their vehicle or use a splitter like the poster above.
    Good option for an always-ready light.

11. Telstar

Telstar Loaded Pockets

I also love the Olight S1 and have one in each vehicle. Its just a hair out of your price range but its well worth it and its probably where I would start as a budget light.

12. Fragarach

Fragarach Loaded Pockets

For a low lunen long lasting car light.. have you considered a lantern ? Something like the energiser pop up lantern ? Supposedly 150 lumen and run for half a week constantly on 4xAA...
    Then add something in the 2x 18650 group with a decent size head for when you need a search light... say a javelot or x2 shooter..

13. pantagana23

I think i found the near perfect in-car flashlight for my needs.
    Check this one:
    Nightstick NSP-2422B
    Magnets and dual light makes it perfect to look under the hood, inside truck or repair flat tyre.
    Very simple use, no unnecessary thngs.
    3x AA power supply
    Priced 25$

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also, its ATEX approved brother XPP-5422GM with even better worktime, but 10 lumens less.
    Priced
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think my search is done.

14. Weej

Weej Loaded Pockets

I use the this guy at work ^^
    Awesome light. The magnets and clip makes it handy as heck, and the flood light on the side has come in handy way too many times to count. Never really thought about putting it in my car, but now that I think of it, it's going in my glove compartment when I get home.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

15. Particleman

Particleman Loaded Pockets

This is a hundred dollars & it can jump your car as long as the battery isn't completely dead.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]