1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Looking for a budget Bushcraft knife

Discussion in 'Knives' started by CSM-101, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

and will be I'm sure!

AK Adventurer and ManVsLawn like this.
  2. Stuart Mantel

Stuart Mantel Loaded Pockets

Blind Horse is no more.:bye: They dissolved the company and any knife you find will not be cheap.

Ben Rubinstein, A.B., CSM-101 and 2 others like this.
  3. MTFatboy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

MTFatboy Loaded Pockets

The Puma SGB line runs less than thirty bucks--traditional hunters in German 440A (good enough for the money) with micarta handles and leather sheaths. There are several nice drop point patterns; I think the mule deer, the whitetail, and the wolverine models would make wonderful bushcraft knives. They are everything I love about the Buck vanguard at half the price and probably with better edge retention. EDIT the Deadwood is a good-looking pattern too. EDIT AGAIN they have ballistic nylon sheathes, stag and leather run more.

A.B. and CSM-101 like this.
  4. Here Comes The BOOM

Here Comes The BOOM EDC Junkie!!!!!

Oh crap, I'd forgotten about that. Thanks for the correction!

Stuart Mantel likes this.
  5. CSM-101
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

CSM-101 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Well, Dad decided he wanted a poncho and liner more than he wanted a knife right now, however this
    just meant that I had a good idea of what to buy him for Christmas. :) I went ahead and ordered a
    Condor Bushlore and it came in today, and it looks like a pretty nice knife. It's not super sharp out of the
    box, and I'm not crazy about the large 'El Salvador' stamp on the blade, but I think he'll like it.

Daywalker and No Agenda like this.
  6. Cheeser
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cheeser Hey Bub!

That sounds like the same knife I have. Good luck I hope yours is better with staying sharp lol

Daywalker and CSM-101 like this.
  7. MTFatboy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

MTFatboy Loaded Pockets

I'd like those Condors a lot if they were 1095 at Rockwell 57 or better. That softer 1075 should take more abuse without snapping than an equivalent in 1095, but won't match the edge performance. It's still a stout little design, though, and one doesn't often find perfection on a budget. And I can't fault your dad's wisdom in opting for a woobie! I own 2 poncho liners and 0 Condor Bushlores myself. I'm just glad you got him something and I can discard my obsession with this thread :help:

Cheeser and CSM-101 like this.
  8. pathwinder14

pathwinder14 Loaded Pockets

What???!!! No one has mentioned an Old Hickory 7 inch butcher? :censored:? Has everyone lost their minds? $10.00 Great knife. Full tang, High carbon 1095 steel. Great bush crafting knife. Note - Not a survival knife but a good bush crafting knife. Granted I wouldn't be upset if that was the knife in my survival gear.

9. Stuart Mantel

Stuart Mantel Loaded Pockets

I will disagree on the survival knife comment. I think it would perform well in most situations where a general use/abuse blade is needed. I have a 6 inch in my kitchen and it's a joy to use.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

CSM-101 and Ben Rubinstein like this.
  10. jonny8642

jonny8642 Loaded Pockets

honestly the Mora Companion heavy duty is a good starter bushcraft knife but you need to take a file or dremel to the spine for it to work on a ferro rod. Now the Mora Bushcraft Black that is a great knife for the money and it can do, usually they can be had for about $55 with just the knife and sheath. Granted it doesn't have the old school feel with leather stack handles and leather sheath. But I've beat the hell out of both my companion HD and Bushcraft black and they keep on ticking from batoning to gutting fish.

11. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

Mora... Seriously. Budget but great.

CSM-101, jonny8642 and Daywalker like this.
  12. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

Not true about the mora. Get a classic with a birch handle. They are available with leather sheaths. Trust me, for bushcraft on a budget you can not beat them

Actually you can beat them. And hard, with a stick... ;)

13. FeeSimpleAbsolute

FeeSimpleAbsolute Loaded Pockets

I didn't know that, cool. I've only seen the rubber handles and plastic sheaths. I like the one I have, but a birch handle would be cool. I'll have to take a look.

CSM-101, A.B. and Ben Rubinstein like this.
  14. dimeotane

dimeotane Loaded Pockets

What's always kept me from adding a Mora to my set of gear is that it's not full tang. I opted for a Gerber Prodigy instead and have been very happy with it. It's a lighter lower cost version of the LMT II infantry knife.

CSM-101 likes this.
  15. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Brings back an OOOOLLLLDD memory! I used to keep one of these in my tool box. Stout enough for doing some prying; also used it for trimming the odd length of hose or ragged gasket! Back in the brief time when I took care of an old (65 Buick with a funky V6 myself...

16. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

Let me tell you this. Normally I use a Mora for work. I am in construction. So I use it hard. I lost it though. But I have cross batonned through a 3 inch tree limb with a hammer that was in the way of the scaffold I was building. No problem. Our ancestors didn't use full tang swords and some of them still survived. I prefer full tang obviously, but don't be too worried about a rat tail.

17. BklynBoy

BklynBoy Loaded Pockets

How about a Grohman Canadian hunting knife for $100. can't get more traditional than that

CSM-101, Ben Rubinstein and A.B. like this.
  18. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

You mean the Canadian belt knife? Never held one in hand, but the design looks great. Although I'm a bit concerned about the thin handle or is that just because of the pictures? How does it handle? I might buy one.

CSM-101 and BklynBoy like this.
  19. BklynBoy

BklynBoy Loaded Pockets

I do not own one but have handled one and it felt great in the hand

CSM-101 and A.B. like this.
  20. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

Might give one a try then. Really like traditional knives.

CSM-101 likes this.