1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Looking for a Bombproof rain shell

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by Arfropubes, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Arfropubes

Arfropubes Empty Pockets

Does anyone have a recommendation for a top shelf rain shell ?

The one i used to have was gortex but it seems it has disappeared and now need to get a new rain jacket and was wondering what you would suggest.

prefer something either made in the USA or Europe.

2. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

Arc'Teryx makes select models in Vancouver, Canada. Off the top of my head I believe the Alpha LT and Alpha SV are made in Canada. I have the Theta SV (a similar jacket with a longer cut and different pocket placements) and it is not made in Canada but it is very well-made, definitely top of the line.

Westcomb makes all of their models in Vancouver, Canada. They are a competitor to Arc'Teryx, being founded by some of their former employees. Reportedly quality is very high on them as well. Their use of eVent is great: eVent is a much more breathable fabric than Gore Tex, although by some accounts Gore Tex (which Arc'T uses) is more durable.

These are the only ones I could think of right now. I'll come back and mention others if I can think of more.

3. doktorziplok

doktorziplok Loaded Pockets

TAD spectre. pricey but worth it.

4. shmook

shmook Loaded Pockets

I got a north face shell in a high end UK store in the lake district. It was a factory second because 1cm of stitching was slightly out...

Sholuld have been £60, got it for £10 new. Look out for deals!

5. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

If cost is no objection, you could try Beyond. Besides fleeces and soft shells, they do also have a Goretex hard shell model. I don't have any of their products and no idea how good they are, just figured I'd add a bit of variety to the usual suggestions.

6. OpKey

OpKey Loaded Pockets

Yeah, I'd have to send you in TAD's direction if you're talking "top shelf". They are pricey but they are really top shelf. When they throw up products on the site, even if they are upwards of $300+, they are usually sold out within a minute.

7. Arfropubes

Arfropubes Empty Pockets

I have never met a northface product which i have liked, in my opinion they are way overpriced. my complaints with them are low quality build, zippers which fail and break , material which is cheap and shows wear far too quickly windproof products which do not breath , etc.

I blame it all on being made in asia thats why I really only want to buy made in North america and europe .

as to TAD I know there bags are made in the states but I have read that the majority of their other production is done in off shore someplace. and the fact that their webstore is empty most of the time I believe is just good marketing..

of course price matters but kinda think that there are a few items a person buys based solely on quality.

8. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

Yes, TAD produces their shells overseas, but not for profit reasons. There simply is no manufacturing facility in North America that can produce the seams that they use, this is the rare instance where to produce them in the US would actually lower their quality.

9. curlyfry562

curlyfry562 Loaded Pockets

+1 on TAD for top shelf hardshell

10. Neo9710

Neo9710 Loaded Pockets

I have heard nothing but great stuff about TAD gear. I am actually trying to buy their new Hoodie but without patches which isnt out yet. But, they have a huge following. Some of their stuff is high demand and they run out quick.

Arc'Teryx is GREAT stuff - built to last with a price tag to match it. If your rough and tough on your stuff and want something to last...they are the ones to get. YKK zippers..taped seams..etc..

11. barney

barney Loaded Pockets

No personal experience other than their pants (which are awesome), but perhaps the swrve milwaukee hoodie? Not really sure if the brand fits the general aesthetic of the forum but the jeans and softshell trousers I've gotten from them have been amazing.

12. Max Archer

Max Archer Loaded Pockets

I've been really impressed with my Marmot Precip. I've worn mine a ton, not just during last year's La Nina rains but as a windbreaker over a fleece on many occasions. It's been worn with two camera straps, a backpack, a media vest and an equipment belt system over it when working, and still looks brand new. I can't really come up with anything to complain about. I'm not sure where they're made, though.

13. jtice

jtice Loaded Pockets

I have a Cabelas Guidewear system, its been great, much tougher than other rain jackets I have used, has a nice zip out fleece liner also that can be worn as a separate jacket.
    I think they are on sale now also, I paid :censored: near $300.

14. Six String

Six String Loaded Pockets

I have a Patagonia Torrentshell. Love it! That and Arctyrx pants keep me dry in these wet Seattle winters.

15. 5534

5534 Loaded Pockets

Google search for a company called "KEELA" they are based in Scotland Uk and make some good kit. I've been using one of there jackets for over a year now - the heavyest weight one the do ( which apparently they supply to mountain rescue teams ) and before buying couldn't find a bad review about them. Prices are excelent to

16. mcmc

mcmc Loaded Pockets

Any other experiences with Westcomb? Would like something in eVent

17. cap6888
    • In Omnia Paratus

cap6888 Loaded Pockets

LL Bean makes nice stuff. They have Gore Tex and something called Tek 2. Great quality stuff, And you can't beat their warranty.

18. Explosif

Explosif Loaded Pockets

Have you tried any Paramo gear? It's not exactly cheap but I really rate it. There's a whole range of systems and you can combine to create exactly what you need. It's designed by the bloke who invented Nikwax etc if that rings anybells.

They don't do "water proof" the idea behind it is that the garments are highly durable, highly breathable and the waterproofing comes from proofing on the fabric which can be restored using the nikwax range of wash in products.

I'm a big convert, I wear a paramo fleece and a very light windproof paramo jacket at work. Together there are really breathable, really comfortable and I've been comfy working in all day rain. In very heavy rain my light windproof jacket will get wet but I can't say that it has really affected me (still kept warm and happy!).

I've tried a range of gear at work, and this stuff has been the pick of the bunch. To top it off the lightweight jacket over the fleece is £75 new, so I wasn't too worried amount damaging it at work - I've crawled over sharp broken concrete, caught it on branches, got it filthy dirty and it still works brilliantly. Stick it in the washing machine, reproof it and it's good to go.

19. Explosif

Explosif Loaded Pockets

20. DimGR

DimGR Loaded Pockets

Rothco softshell