1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

looking for a AAA pen light

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by chico13, Feb 23, 2011.

1. chico13

chico13 Loaded Pockets

hay peeps, yeah I was looking for a good AAA pen light with like 100 lumens and looking to spend like $30.00 tail cliky preferid.

2. Sniperx7

Sniperx7 Loaded Pockets

The best one i know of is the Preon II by 4sevens. I'm not sure what the new s2 ratings are, but i have the R5 version that hits 160 lumens max for about 40 or 50 minutes. It is around $10 more than you specify tho. Look it up :thumbsup:

3. PeaceOfMind

PeaceOfMind Loaded Pockets

Seconding the 4Sevens Preon II, it's the best pen-format light out there right now in my opinion. Latest LED emitters, insanely bright for AAA's and available in a variety of colours.

4. AKferociousduck

AKferociousduck Empty Pockets

4Sevens Preon II is a beast of a pen light! I don't think your going to find it for thirty dollars though, however it's in the $40 dollar range.

5. OutdoorAdventureMD

OutdoorAdventureMD Empty Pockets

I also agree with the 4Sevens Preon II. It is the best pen light I have owned and you can get it in a few different colors.

6. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

I have the Fenix Penlight and I'm quite happy with it.

Do you guys have anything negative to report about the 4Sevens Preon II at all?

7. pelotonjon

pelotonjon Loaded Pockets

I really like the Preon II. If I was playing devil's advocate, I would say that sometimes the clicky can activate in your pants pocket. It can be easily remedied by purchasing a twisty cap if you get really worried about it.

8. BASR

BASR Loaded Pockets

Another vote for the Preon II. Amazing light for the money and size. Perfect for EDC...

9. popedandy

popedandy Loaded Pockets

Another vote for the Preon 2. Superb light. I originally consider the Fenix LD05, then realized that the 4Sevens was the same price and offered more for the money. You also mentioned wanting 100 lumens. As far as I know, the Preon2 and the LD05 are the only two penlights that will give you 100 lumens.

I had the same problem with the light accidentally activating as pelotonjon, then I realized all I had to do was loosen the head to keep it from turning on accidentally. Which reminds me - you can turn the Preon 2 on and off with the clickie tailcap or you can leave the click switch turned on and just twist the head to turn the light on and off.

10. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

I find that the Preon 2 clickie switch has more stiction due to the rubber cap underneath the metal switch cover than just about any light I have I owned. I still like the light a lot, but it is a source of constant annoyance. I know that 4Sevens made two versions of the metal cover (a rounded version and squared off version). It's quite possible that this problem exists more with one version than the other.

ATB,
    Sam

11. chico13

chico13 Loaded Pockets

a that seems like a pretty good light but do you guys know if they have a single mode or memory clicky

12. chico13

chico13 Loaded Pockets

oh never mind that kinda answers my Question

13. legoman0721

legoman0721 Loaded Pockets

I might as well throw in another vote for the Preon 2. The Preon 1 is a little below your max output, but at 70 lumens for the R5 it's pretty bright. It's also a bit cheaper. Both are absolutely excellent lights.

14. PeaceOfMind

PeaceOfMind Loaded Pockets

It has three brightness levels (low, medium, high). If the light is off for a little bit, it will always come on next time in the Low mode (no memory). You cycle through Low -> Medium -> High by turning it off and back on quickly, either by "soft" pressing the reverse clicky, or clicking it off and back on quickly or by quickly loosening and then re-tightening the head.

There are also Strobe, Beacon and SOS modes accessible by cycling through low -> medium -> high twice fast to get to the set pf special modes.

15. defloyd

defloyd Loaded Pockets

Check out the Eagletac PN20A2, 2 modes, 100 on high, 22 on low, has a forward clickie, mode changing is done by either having the head tight (high) or loosened (low). Never owned this light before, but I did own a Preon II and ended up returning it as it often came on in my pockets (shirt and pants) and switched it self to high a few times and got quite hot. Personally, I think loosening the head to prevent this from happening totally defeats the purpose of having a pen light, to me a pen light should be quick and simple extraction and activation.

16. chriztt

chriztt Loaded Pockets

Preon 2. Its my edc light ans I could not be happier. Its the item thats used the most in my edc.

17. Roger

Roger Loaded Pockets

I have both the PreonII and the PN20A2. While both have their strenghts and weaknesses I think that the OP might want to lean more towards the PN20. Not really single mode, but as long as you don't twist the head it will always turn on in the mode you left it.
    It's also on sale over at PTS for $39....I may have to grab me another one!

18. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

19. swrdply400mrelay

swrdply400mrelay Loaded Pockets

Fenix LD05 or Preon 2 - I love the latter and carry it in my coat pocket.

20. AcesQ

AcesQ Loaded Pockets

The Fenix LD05 should be a good choice for you. Quarks have couple of pen lights too, you should check it out.