1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Looking for a 1" diffuser

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by xyz, Feb 22, 2011.

1. xyz

xyz Loaded Pockets

I am looking for a diffuser with a 1" inside diameter. My primary everyday carry flashlight has a very prominent hotspot and the lowest setting isn't very low at all. I also carry a Photon Freedom with a covert LED and which has a super low setting, but it is a pain to toggle between the two. Also, after prolonged use the hotspot tends to give me tunnel vision. Another reason I am looking for a diffuser is to protect the bezel which has very thin crenelations and offer some anti-roll assistance as the current host I am using is overall cylindrical without many flat areas.

I have searched and discovered that the Surefire F04 and the Mini Maglite filter should fit. There is also the Surefire FM54, but it is ridiculously expensive. Also, plastic bottle caps seem to fit but don't offer much protection as well as other performance issues. I like everything else about the light including its output and its versatility, and therefore I am looking for an addition as a solution rather than switching lights or parts.

Does any one have either of the aforementioned diffusers/filters or know of any others that are durable?

The flashlight in question (NEX head + Aleph pak + McTC tail):
    [​IMG]

2. cm_mtb

cm_mtb Loaded Pockets

What's wrong with the F04? I have one, and it works very well.

3. PeaceOfMind

PeaceOfMind Loaded Pockets

I definitely see no reason why you shouldn't go with the F04.

4. n0k1a

n0k1a Empty Pockets

+1 on the F04. I carry one on my SF E1B all the time, and it's great.

5. mossyoak

mossyoak Loaded Pockets

the surefire F04 can not be beat.

6. GRIFFINHAWKS

GRIFFINHAWKS Banned

You could try this ? >> http://edcforums.com/showthread.php/79637-A-simple-but-useful-Flashlight-Mod-..?p=979075&viewfull=1#post979075
    I'm not very clear with what your asking for ..

BE WELL .. GH

7. xyz

xyz Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I ordered the F04 this past weekend. I chose the F04 because in addition to acting as a diffuser it also provides protection to the bezel and acts as an anti-roll device. Also the lens is removeable. I might post a follow-up if I receive it before the thread is buried, but a beamshot comparison was already posted before. I will also still try out the film canister suggestion for a candle-mode diffuser, as it would prove useful when there is no surface such as a roof for the light to reflect off of. FWIW, in my search I found a couple diffusers which fit 1" diameter lights without modification:
    • Surefire F04 and FM54
    • OLIGHT DT20
    • Part from Maglite Accessory Pack (AM2A016)
    • DX "Portable Beam Soft Diffuser" (SKU 24123)