1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Longshot, but does anyone know?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Finnigan, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Finnigan

Finnigan Loaded Pockets

I know this is a longshot, but I have a watch that chimes on the hour, AND half hour. Does anyone know of a watch that chimes the bells of a ship's watch? I'd really like one.

For reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship's_bell

2. photomic

photomic Loaded Pockets

a wristwatch? or a clock?

Clocks there are many around...
    but wristwatches I'm afraid there are none around :(

3. Phaeton

Phaeton Empty Pockets

I do not know of any either vintage or contemporary. Ships bells would be a very intricate complication and there really would not be much, if any, demand for it. In the days when ships bells were a necessary method of keeping time for the crew, no sailor would be able to afford any watch, let alone such an expensive complication. Also, watches of the day would not be rugged enough to stand up to the sailor's working and living environment.

There are many clocks available, both vintage and contemporary, from affordable to very expensive.

Mark

4. Finnigan

Finnigan Loaded Pockets

Thanks guys. yes, I've seen the clocks. I was actually thinking more along the lines of a digital watch. I figured it would be awefully difficult in a mechanical watch, but I figured it is just a matter of a bit of programming for a digital. I thought maybe some had been made for modern day sailors.

5. Phaeton

Phaeton Empty Pockets

It would be relatively easy to do in a digital watch. Of course, rather than a bell, you would have that lovely digital beep every half hour. Ycch!

Modern sailors tell time the same way we all do-with a watch. Ships bells represent tradition and if used are symbolic.

Mark

6. Finnigan

Finnigan Loaded Pockets

I just think it is handy. I keep a digital watch on my belt (I don't like them on my wrist) and it beeps every half hour. Ithought it would be great if it actually gave me an indication of the time as well, and the ships bell is a great method (you never get more than 8 bells, so no 12 beep long string annoying a room full of people at lunchtime)

Ah well. I wonder if I can build my own. :shrug: