1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Longbow's Things I Learned in America Thread. The EDChallenge...

Discussion in 'Show us pics of your EDC!' started by Longbow_06, Nov 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longbow_06

Longbow_06 Banned

Okay, so here's the story. GA decided that it could no longer afford to house folks with mental health issues, long term, so it closed down the facilities around the state. Such as Milledgville, close to Atl. The streets were suddenly flooded with folks, who had no where to go, or live, if family was not interested in taking them in. Crime started to climb, and in some cases, the crimes were pretty severe.
    The guys were arrested, and went through the justice system, which did not know how to handle these guys, as the prisons were not set up for treatment of severe mental health problems.
    The state got sued by the ADA. The State lost the case, and there was suddenly an opening for companies to contract in, and aid some of these guys with getting back on their feet.
    Columbus, GA has renovated a lot of the older, abandoned hotels, to give these guys shelter, but what has happened there, is the old hotels have now become drug warrens, open to crime and... Well... Crime.
    So the other option is to look at it another way. Take the guys, find them employment quickly, put them in touch with local resources, get them stable on the job site, with intensive supports. Once there, immediately look at the needs and requirements, and how to train the guys to become self sufficient. Basically give them options that will be resourceful, rather than self harming due to a lack of understanding.
    Working with the the local LEO and .Gov resources, educate the community on how to handle the situations that develop.
    Instead of arresting the guy, because you don't understand whats going on, call in resources such as ACT Teams, and GCAL teams, to respond to a developing crisis, before the crisis goes critical.

Actually.. It can be quite challenging at times... And frustrating.

But the rewards are ten fold. To see how far some of the guys have come, is pretty amazing. From having nothing, to gaining stable employment, to building stable relationships, moving into their own homes, starting families.

2. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

That's fantastic.

sent from a device with a keyboard that hates me

3. Longbow_06

Longbow_06 Banned

Sometimes... Sometimes not. A couple of years back we had a guy "executed" on his girlfriends doorstep.
    Sometimes it can be real frustrating.

4. Colin J Reed

Colin J Reed Loaded Pockets

No worries!

5. Colin J Reed

Longbow_06, that job sounds intense, and I love that you see so much hope in people that are so often marginalized or shoved into an ill-fitting box. The world needs more people like you, my friend.

6. Longbow_06

Longbow_06 Banned

Radley, S_Serpent, Nekolf and 13 others like this.
  7. Longbow_06

Longbow_06 Banned

Hey Colin, here you go... The "Spanish Dollar", or "8 Reales" or "Paso De Ocho".
    This one's from 1791. I love to research the history of... stuff :)

Last edited by Longbow_06, Feb 2, 2016
    Radley, S_Serpent, Nekolf and 17 others like this.
  8. Colin J Reed

Very cool! Every time I read Pieces of Eight, I hear it in the voice of a parrot from some old video game :D

9. Longbow_06

Longbow_06 Banned

10. Longbow_06

Longbow_06 Banned

Thanks, Colin. I had actually not seen one before, but they're quite numerous and out there in fine condition.
    There were literally millions of these minted throughout the Spanish colonies. The Morgan Dollar was based on the 8 Reales, and the U.S. Dollar sign, $, actually stems from the reverse of the Spanish Dollar, with the scroll around the pillar motive.
    Cheeser These were actually the first coins of New South Wales, in Australia :D

11. Cheeser
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cheeser Hey Bub!

That is interesting, I didn't know that. I know a lot of trade was initially done here with promisory notes similar to the English pound notes of the time. But there was a lot of bartering rather than actual buying and selling

12. Longbow_06

Longbow_06 Banned

Yup. The governor of NSW had an issue with silver coinage leaving the province, so purchase 40,000 8 Reales coins.
    The centers were punched out, and both center and outer ring were revalued, above the price of the original coin.
    Therefore keeping the newly stamped coins within the NSW province.

13. Longbow_06

Longbow_06 Banned

Thanks to you too moostapha !!

How's the job going ??

14. CalicoSalsa

CalicoSalsa Uber Prepared

Been trying to catch up, looks like I missed a lot of good conversation in your thread!

15. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

Good. Really good. This week has been slow, but we're on track for the month. I'm really enjoying talking about guns all day. And, a couple of our guys have inroads to some amazing training that I might have free time to do in a little while.

I kind of forgot how much of retail was cleaning. And how gross people are.

Certain parts of the industry are a bit shocking, but it's no different from any other sales job.

One thing....because of the nature of selling guns, if we decide to walk a sale because the person just wigs us out, management will 100% back us up.

The shop is around atlantic station. If you don't know about it, it's a planned community just west of Midtown Atlanta. It's a really weird place that looks fantastic but is kind of really really seedy. So, we apparently get things like girls coming in asking for something really specific and then knowing absolutely nothing about it or people with super bloodshot eyes who can't string together a sentence...its not at all common, but it happens. I actually had someone hand me a parole ID as proof that she was old enough to handle pistols.

Management is 100% confident in our judgement of just throwing someone out for making us think it's a straw purchase or that they shouldn't be handling guns for basically any reason. They're (we're) one of the really good shops.

It's also a pretty high end shop. As an example, we have more than one lwrc AR on the wall, and we've had glock 17 and 19 MOS models available since before they were announced at shot show, as well as selections of finishes for 42s and 43s, and a wall full of Daniel Defense ARs. Pretty much everything remotely "nice" that I've heard of people having problems finding...we have it in stock and on display, with the exception of a couple of popular choices of SD ammo in 9mm.

One sort of down side....it's going to end up costing me money. The fact that some of the industry discounts are so good and the fact that there is literally zero stigma attached to carrying a rifle means that my ddm4v11 will probably go back to its role as a pure competition gun and I'll wind up carrying a suppressed mk18 4 days a week. It won't be super soon, but there will be a day when I order 2 suppressors.

And before you (or anyone) asks, not that you would put me in that position, part of the industry discount program is that I can't sell or get rid of anything. It's entirely so we can sell things with personal opinions attached. But apart from my back, I'm thinking seriously about sticking with this for a while partially because my collection is going to be awesome.

sent from a device with a keyboard that hates me

16. Longbow_06

Longbow_06 Banned

Well, I'm glad you're having fun !!

I'm not exactly sure what I'm allowed to post anymore, as the alerts went out yesterday. Some posts got culled, some did not.

S_Serpent, Nekolf, vegassprky and 9 others like this.
  17. MarriedTheMedic

MarriedTheMedic EDC Junkie

If you post something that gets removed, you'll know then that it was the wrong thing to post. :giggle:

18. BobsBargains

BobsBargains Banned

Nothing off topic. No chit chat, well wishing, birthday wishes, congratulations, shenanigans, fun stuff basically. Only EDC and EDC related posts. :rolleyes_revamped:

S_Serpent, Nekolf, vegassprky and 4 others like this.
  19. Longbow_06

Longbow_06 Banned

What about Bowel Movements ? Bowel movements okay ?

Okay then... Here goes...
    Early serial numbered HK45c.
    All German. This was one of the demonstration pieces shipped over to the Columbus plant, here in GA. After about serial number 1900 or so, you'll find that they have German slides on American manufactured frames, here ion the US. Even later serial numbers are all American construction, here in GA.
    Any differences in accuracy of function ? Not at all !!

Downside to HK's... Detail stripping requires four hands, and needle nose fingers...
    Oh... And magazine cost... Thats a bugger.

20. Longbow_06

Longbow_06 Banned

Where's my new friends, eng1nerd and Jarhead Greasemonkey... This one's for you Fellas :bounce:
    You both know you really, really, really, Want One !! :frantic:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.