1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Long sleeve shirt for the sun

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by cubegleamer, Jul 3, 2012.

1. cubegleamer

cubegleamer Loaded Pockets

I was out in my yard doing some weeding yesterday and I had an allergic reaction to something. I need to get a long sleeve shirt that I can use for doing yardwork in the sun. I'm hoping that gloves and the long sleeves will stop me from brushing up against whatever made me itchy. What do you recommend? I need something that's not going to be too hot. I live in Florida and just the thought off wearing a long sleeved shirt in the summer makes me sweat. I've seen some guys wearing boating/fishing shirts that are vented in the back... help me out here.

2. evolutionglitch
    • In Omnia Paratus

evolutionglitch Loaded Pockets

3. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

I wear long sleeves all summer long, you only think you will be hotter, in fact the opposite is true. Past a certain temperature, the military requires you to roll down your sleeves and most desert cultures are covered head to toe. I stops your sweat from evaporating too quickly. this will actually keep you cooler. Plus it stops you from becoming a human toasted marsh mellow. I also grow my beard in the summer and shave it off in the winter, so maybe you shouldn't take advice from me.

Brisket, kd7dvd and Pilgrimm like this.
  4. Pilgrimm

Pilgrimm Loaded Pockets

I have a handful of these and love them, http://www.rei.com/product/794446/rei-sahara-tech-long-sleeve-shirt-mens, very lightweight and the sleeves roll up and you can button them up to make it a short sleeve short as well. Plus its collared and looks decent.

I also have a couple of these too, basically same design however made by Colombia and love these too, http://www.rei.com/product/827486/columbia-silver-ridge-shirt-men

Even how hot its been lately, 90+, you can catch me wearing them with the sleeves rolled up. Great ventilation, and if you by chance were to sweat through, they dry amazingly fast.

5. rickinFL

rickinFL Loaded Pockets

fellow floridian here. Columbia skiff guide. Recommended by my dermatologist who is also a fisherman.

Vader9900 likes this.
  6. cubegleamer

Thanks for the input, guys. @T.H.Cone - I can understand the long sleeves in the desert but does the same thing work in a high humidity situation? I have no problem with the sweat evaporating too quickly here in FL.

7. cubegleamer

Rick, That shirt is 100% polyester. Doesn't it trap the heat in? I thought cotton or linnen would be the coolest.

8. rickinFL

rickinFL Loaded Pockets

9. Vader9900
    • In Omnia Paratus

Vader9900 Loaded Pockets

I also live in FLA, any of the Columbia Fly Fishing shirts will work well. I have a mess of them.

10. cubegleamer

Ok, I'm sold on those shirts. i just ordered a white one for $11.03 from the shirtsinbulk.com website. I also found these on the Columbia Sportswear site. They look like the perfect shirt for dirt bike trail riding. I'm going to pick up one of these up too once I decide on a color.

11. goosefacer
    • In Omnia Paratus

goosefacer EDC Junkie!!!!!

Bass Pro has lightweight, vented fishing shirts for like $25. I also like Nike Pro Combat baseball shirts.

12. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

Cubegleamer, I'm no scientist, but I'm out in the weather everyday in all conditions. I don't think summer in Fl is all that difrerent than a hazy, hot, and humid day in NJ. When it is really humid, you will sweat through several shirts. I sweat through my bibs too. You get used to being damp after awhile. This can all be minimized with synthetic materials, but I'm supplied cotton work gear, so...

Things could always be worse; I have to wear FR (flame resistant) overalls over Carhartt bibs and long sleeves 60% of the time and FR does not breath whatsoever. Good times! If I know ahead of time that FR is required I'll go with shorts and a T-shirt. Doesn't help much but you have more freedom of movement. Plus, since shorts and Ts are not really allowed you have to be pretty darn sure you are going to be in FR ALL day otherwise management puts on their frowns.

And the other thing is I never deal with the general public, so I can be wet, dirty, and smelly and no one cares. Hopefully you have a nicer job in that regard. Even with all that being said, I still think long sleeves are the way to go in most instances.

13. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'm not sure how much they protect from the sun but I love wearing my old paintball jerseys in the summer. They are breathable sports type fabric, very comfy.

14. Fabregas485
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fabregas485 Loaded Pockets

What works in the winter, works in the summer.

15. themadplumbarian

themadplumbarian Loaded Pockets

I wear a over shirt, they make them very thin, and yet also very thick! I think I got mine from Wally world, the neat thing about them is they have a loop on the outside of the sleeve, and a tab with button on the inside, so when you roll your sleeve up, you loop it over and fasten it, so they won't roll down! I'll normally wear mine all summer, I'll get burnt very quickly and I find it cooler to keep the sun off of me rather then direct sunlight. JR

16. KeyeEl

KeyeEl EDC Junkie!!!!!

The UnderArmour "Heat Gear" shirts work pretty good. They are a lightweight, soft & stretchy material.

17. gremlin078

gremlin078 Loaded Pockets

Columbia sports wear fishing shirt or other hi tech fabric type. Same idea as stated by all the others, can be had at Sams for about 20.00

18. Yetitrician

Yetitrician Loaded Pockets

+1 for Columbia upf shirts and pants. I wear them on the yard all the tome to protect myself from the heat. You don't look like a sweaty mess in the either when its 108 outside

Sent from my Thunderbolt

19. Brisket

Brisket Loaded Pockets

The Columbia PFG Tamiami series are super lightweight and breathable, but not as rugged as the Bahama or Blood & Guts series. There are similar offerings from Under Armour, Royal Robbins, Cloudveil, Simms, ExOfficio, REI, Patagonia, Mountain Hardwear & Redington. The Royal Robbins, Simms, Under Armour, Patagonia and ExOfficio shirts are about as nice as they come in this type of shirt and are my favorites but they are also more expensive. The Natural Gear shirts sold at Sams Club for $20 are comfortable and cheap but I have experienced fraying on the inside collars on every one. Bass Pro and Cabelas have similar store branded shirts but I haven't had any experience with them.

20. catfishdan
    • In Omnia Paratus

catfishdan Loaded Pockets

Long sleeve cotton seersucker shirts are great of you can find them. The seersucker texture keeps it from sticking to your skin and let's the air circulate. I wear mine for hiking and biking when it's really hot out.