1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

LockPicking

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Hunter Don, Mar 8, 2018.

1. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

I make mine. I've use anything from hacksaw or jig saw blades, the metal inserts of windshield wipers, to steel banding. You can get a basic set of patterns off a google search and mod them to your liking.

loneslinger and Craig Grabowsky like this.
  2. TransportJockey

TransportJockey Loaded Pockets

I carry one of those in my work bag. Great for bypassing doors on calls if needed.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

ArkansasFan30 likes this.
  3. Hunter Don

Hunter Don Loaded Pockets

Well just an update
    I have a decent assortment of picks and even some various locks to practice on.
    This is pretty fun and challenging

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. streak

streak Loaded Pockets

I was told that using street sweeper bristles work well to make your own. I got tired of following the truck around looking for broken pieces. I managed to get hold of two complete sweeper heads with many hundreds of bristles. So I have made a bunch of picks and have tons of bristles left over!

5. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

Talk about improv! I've never even seen street sweeper bristles and seldom see a street sweeper, lol.

neo71665 likes this.
  6. streak

streak Loaded Pockets

Here are a few I made using the bristles. Paracord and heatshrink handles.

[​IMG]

7. callforfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

callforfire Loaded Pockets

Got away from it for a while, then my interest was re-ignited a couple years ago. I favor a light touch and mostly use thinner picks without handles. However I've recently encountered locks requiring more heavy handed approach, prompting me to shop for stronger picks. Knowing which picks I like most, I shop individual picks over sets these days unless something catches my eye.
    [​IMG]

I'm also trying to find a decent dimple set. I've got a cheap import, and the southord dimple picks. Aside from the quality difference they work about the same, requiring some modification to fit the dimple locks I have.

loneslinger likes this.
  8. Hunter Don

Hunter Don Loaded Pockets

I’ve been moving along with picking, haven’t made any of my own yet, but looks like I’m gonna have to start. I’m now getting into the more advanced locks having secondary security features. My milestones up to now have been American 1100, Schlage Everest, Best sfic, medeco biaxial, biaxial was the hardest by far. now working on primus, can’t get very far with it with those side pins, ordered some dimple picks

9. Craig Grabowsky

Craig Grabowsky Loaded Pockets

Recently a couple kids locked themselves in a room in the church. I went out in the parking lot and picked up a street sweeper cast off. I used my multi-tool to break it in two and file a couple of notches in one piece while Z-bending the other. I got them out in a couple of minutes.

Adam Ng and Moshe ben David like this.
  10. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

welcome to arkansas, lol

All the sweepers I've seen in this state use plastic bristles that aint any good for lock picking.

11. Kilotango

Kilotango Empty Pockets

oh awesome, fellow lockpick enthusiasts are here too. howdy!

i've been into locksport the last 4 years now, i actually keep a set in my backpack that i use at work everyday.

i started off with a basic southord kit, then i bought some individual peterson and southord max picks, that i now keep in the set. i would recommend the southord stuff to start out with, they are pretty good for beginners.

[​IMG]

loneslinger likes this.
  12. loneslinger
    • Sponsor - Home Craftsman

loneslinger Loaded Pockets

This is my set right now.

[​IMG]DSC06075

The small bypass tool on the left goes ever on my keyring. Even though small, the carabiner+lanyard allow for a god hold. The round end can be used to set free shopping carts.
    The lckpicking set itself I keep at work, where I can practice and even actually use it sometimes.

13. callforfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

[​IMG]
    Finally grabbed one of these from sparrows and it has replaced my rubik's cube for boredom relief. It took a few hours to pick through all four positions out of the box. It comes with a tin of some very cruel security pins, and as it is currently configured, the first position remains fairly easy pickings while the fourth is frustrating enough to inspire bouts of warped and twisted rage. I do highly recommend it.

14. Naturally-aspirated

Naturally-aspirated Loaded Pockets

Hey mate,
    I too recently started practising lock picking, chose to go for the sparrows leather tuxedo set, my father also gave me a few hpc ones aswell you can see!
    Overall it's not a bad set, a bit thin in the hands though!
    [​IMG]

15. DavieWavie

DavieWavie Loaded Pockets

Madbob’s picks are really well made, they come hand polished and give great feedback. I have the ghost set, ergonomic and jackknife. I have a stash of southord and homemade ones but always go straight to the madbob one

16. callforfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

I'd like to have been able to agree with you, but madbob burned me bad. They appear to have a strong following only because they delete anything negative whenever possible. Zero customer service and so far it appears they don't even make picks, but rather order from a supplier and finish them inhouse. Which would be fine if they were honest about it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

17. Serena

Serena EDC Junkie

If you carry this stuff in The Netherlands you'll get arrested. You're not allowed to carry burglary tools.

So my question? Why carry this? Genuinely interested…

18. ghuns

ghuns Loaded Pockets

When I was a kid, I used to spend most of the summer with my grandma and grandpa in Ohio. Grandma worked 1st shift at a sewing factory, grandpa worked 2nd shift as a machinist. They had 20 acres with 3 large ponds. You could fish until you tired of catching fish.

When I got tired of catching fish, or if the weather was bad, grandpa didn't know what to do with me. I was a bit of a handful.

So one rainy day, he pulled out a big box of padlocks without any keys. He pulled out an el-cheapo padlock and a pick he'd made from an power hacksaw blade and he popped it open in seconds. I was amazed. He then showed me how to feel the tumblers with the teeth of the pick. Showed me a disassembled lock cylinder so I could see what I was feeling.

I sat for hours going through that box-o-locks until I'd opened them all.

When grandpa retired, I too was working as a machinist and he gave me his old Kennedy toolbox. It was locked and I asked for the key. He gave me these...

[​IMG]

The top center one is the one I've used the most. Guys were always forgetting their toolbox keys in the shop, locking desk drawers and losing keys. That one pick opens them all.

19. keycutter

keycutter Loaded Pockets

In the United States the laws very quite a bit from state to state. If you are just carrying them for an emergency situation like I would assume a good portion of us here are you most likely wouldn’t get into trouble. There is also a whole world of people that compete and practice the speed in which a lock can be defeated, locksport. Others just like the challenge, a puzzle if you will. I’m sure there is a number of other things and opinions I’m leaving out or not representing. I am a licensed locksmith so I am fortunate to not have any troubles with having them. I carry a few in my wallet for emergencies. I also just enjoy defeating a lock. I find it quite satisfying.

ran23 and callforfire like this.
  20. Serena

Serena EDC Junkie

Locksmith, that's a different story. Never heard that there was a sport in lockpicking. Funny!!!

keycutter likes this.