1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

LockPicking

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Hunter Don, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Hunter Don

Hunter Don Loaded Pockets

I'm wondering what the community here has to recommend to a beginning picker. What is your go to set or your EDC set?

I did take a quick search and the first 5 threads i looked at simply said lock pick in it somewhere, not really what I'm looking for, hence a new thread, apologies if there are way too many on this subject already. I'm happy to follow some links to something informative.

#1 Hunter Don, Mar 8, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2018
    ArkansasFan30 likes this.
  2. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I have six sets of picks/rakes, auto jigglers, and bump keys. I've never once gotten the bump keys to work so I'll probably list those and the bump hammer on eBay in my next "purge."

I've bought picks from ITS Tactical and Hard Case Survival which actually supplies a lot of venders like SERE Pick. I started practicing the skill around spring 2016 off and on and went to OnPoint Tactical's Urban Escape and Evasion course and learned some picking from THE Kevin Reeve (a very likeable dude). I was just messaging someone yesterday that my skill level seems to have plateaued. I'm no better or consistent than I was in September.

In Kevin's course you get a steel set of what I'd call actual picks. I also bought a folding set from him as well as the auto jigglers. He also gives you a set of S&W cuffs and some other things to play/practice with. I like the folding picks, but I don't like the tension wrench.

If I would suggest one $35-40 starter set I'd recommend a set of Bogota rakes. Get titanium! The standard set or Minis are fine. The Nanos are really hard and not terribly more "covert" than the Minis. They are carried easily in the wallet.

I'd look at Hard Case Survival. I've bought many things from that site with fairly prompt and low cost shipping delivering quality merchandise. If you really get into picking, lock bypassing, shimming, and some things both ITS Tactical and Blackscout Survival have some great, great videos. Blackscout actually makes some really cool E&E types of vids although he ("Jack") comes across as a bit conceited. Bryan at ITS is fairly anal, but the whole ITS team seems pretty goofy. ITS has pricey shipping but keeps gear in stock. Blackscout has tremendous mark up costs. I purchased a few things from him early on before I discovered his venders.

I've never had success making a pick out of a safety pin, but I've tried exactly twice. I don't understand how people would do it with a hairpin. I've made a few sets successfully with paper clips and keep the first set I crafted well in my desk drawer at the office. I use them to open my file cabinets. Shimming cuffs is super, super easy. Picking them with some things including a hair pin is also super easy, but when double locked it's more difficult but doable. Forget shimming when double locked.

You can also look into Quick Sticks and EZ Decoders although they have a rather limited application. I've got two sets of each but have never bought the EZ decoder trainer lock or come across "real" one since I've had the tools (almost two years now).

My go to is the Bogota Mini rakes in titanium. I've used them the most, EDC them in my wallet lost one set actually but replaced, and have a second set in one of my kits. I actually first trained on some long popsicle stick type rakes. All of my "kits" be they go bags, EDC bag, chest rig, chase bag, etc have some type of picks. IDK why. It's just cool to me.

#2 ArkansasFan30, Mar 8, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2018
    Hunter Don likes this.
  3. Hunter Don

I made my first paperclip picks and opened my desk drawer with it in less than seconds.
    I’ve been watching the lock lab videos, I’ve also been subscribed to ITS and Blackscout for awhile. I did order a PXS-14 starter set referenced by lock-lab as a good set, but still wanted to see whats out there that I could have missed. i've been eyeing Sparrow for pick sets, they have quite a selection of good stuff. I thought i had seen someone here making Ti stuff. I was wondering if that person ever made pick sets. or anyone that makes them on the board (not necessarily Ti). I'm not sure i can make my own any more advanced than the paperclip tension & rake, but i do need to replace my wipers, and will likely try something. If anyone has anything extra they want to get rid of, please let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 Hunter Don, Mar 9, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  4. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

I’ve got a SouthOrd set which is good for a beginner. You’ll figure out which picks you’re better with as time goes on and may want to build your own at that point.

Hunter Don likes this.
  5. Hunter Don

i figured i would find the picks i like as well.

6. Hunter Don

I got my set of picks, the set was missing a single pick, I’d call it a half moon I guess. Still not sure I even need it. I pretty much use maybe 3 of the picks so far, just on some cheap master locks. I do have an old 5-pin unknown brand house lock that I haven’t been able to open yet. Two of the other old house locks were quite easy to open. Anyway I basically use the ‘worm’ ‘short hook’ and ‘city rake’
    The master locks I’m playing with are 4-pin. I believe model 141. I have 3 of them. I’ve been SPPing those repeatedly.
    Looking at other pick sets I’m still not sure what else I would need. I’m probably going to get another PXS14 set for myself since I gave the first set to my son. Aside from that I’m thinking a titanium bogota rake set. I do like sparrow products too

7. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

If you don't mind me asking, why would you want titanium picks? As far as picks go steel is a far better material for these so unless you plan to colour them and hang em around your neck or if you pick a lot of locks in acidic environments (or pirate treasure chests on the bottom of the ocean perhaps) you would be better off with regular good ol steel.

8. Daveho

Daveho Loaded Pockets

I use a mix of southord and sparrows picks.
    You don’t need or want anything fancy you just want good well smoothed basic pics.

9. Hunter Don

i just thought Ti would be cool for a EDC set, but only second hand for cheap, I certainly don't want to pay the retail price on them, they aren't worth near that to me at this time.
    OTOH, opening pirate treasures at bottom of ocean sounds fun.
    now if i could have exactly the picks i like made in Ti for a decent price i Might

10. Hunter Don

i like sparrows lines of picks
    I'm looking for a decent case, with slots, rather than the southard wallet that they simply lay in, no real organizing or keeping them in place. i think the sparrow tuxedo case is more to my liking, but still would like to see something that has more individual slots, maybe slots that 2 or 3 picks could slide in.

11. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Coolness factor should never be a main consideration for a tool. Sure with everything else being equal you might as well pick the one you like best buy things are not equal here. Titanium is a bad material for a pick, ti alloys can work but those are not cool titanium that are just steel with some added titanium for marketing purposes. If you just want functioning picks get a decent steel set.

12. Hunter Don

I get ya, cool is an add on over function. the typical ti set is a bogota triple peak and single peak, both with tension tools on opposite end. So it is functional, not ‘just’ for the cool factor. If I were to choose just 2 picks it would be triple peak and short hook, which a single peak could work, plus a tension of course.

ArkansasFan30 and charlie fox like this.
  13. ArkansasFan30

My wallet set is the dual tipped (tension wrench on one end, rake on the other) triple peak, single peak Bogotas. It's my most used set and for that reason my most efficient set. I don't really like my steel, picks as much.

14. Hunter Don

And that’s kinda what I was thinking also, a wallet type set, the bogota rakes are nice, come in 3 sizes nano small normal and happen to be available in Ti

15. ArkansasFan30

I have the Ti set between the nano and full size. I had some nanos once. I've also liked playing around with these although will probably be getting rid of them:

http://serepick.com/products/bogota-pi-toolset.html

16. Hunter Don

ArkansasFan30 likes this.
  17. ArkansasFan30

PM sent. The nanos would fit behind a pouch. The minis might. There are also a flat set like the minis. A variety of handcuff keys and shims would also fit behind (or inside) a patch. That's actually a known hide site. I even bought a "hollow" patch from some site.

18. ArkansasFan30

Here's a nice little lock bypass tool I was just playing around with on my house's doors. [​IMG]

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

19. Hunter Don

I was looking at the mini from sparrows

20. ArkansasFan30

I'd like this one to be a couple of inches shorter with a lanyard hold in the end so that would probably serve you well. I've seen a model sold in a fireman supply catalog that had a sleeve of similar material as the handle that slid over the other end.

I'm admittedly sheepish about trying it out in public settings. There are a couple of doors at the office I want to experiment with but never remember to take it with me.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk