1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Lock Pick Kit

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by mta5888, Dec 26, 2010.

1. mta5888

mta5888 Loaded Pockets

Can anyone recommend a lock pick kit they think is good? maybe something in the $25 to $45 price range?

2. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

AFAIK lockpicking kits are seen as "burglary tools" in the eyes of the law if you aren't a licensed locksmith.

3. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

They are all good if you are good at picking locks. They all suck if you are not. If you are a beginner, get a good manual and a pick-gun. That will make it easier to start.

4. lpd10574

lpd10574 Loaded Pockets

Any good books or videos anyone can recommend to someone who wants to learn to lock pick? I am an leo, and they are legal here to own, so no issues there. I had a guy the other night while I was checking on one of the hotel desk clerks in my area, ask for some bolt cutters to cut the locks off of his trailer. Seems he put two big locks on his trailer doors and all of his traveling gear was locked up. This is in NC and he had left the lock keys in Michigan and didn't realize it until he stopped for the night at the hotel. I would have loved to help him, and the bolt cutters were powerless against the locks he had.

5. Rpuppet
    • In Omnia Paratus

Rpuppet Loaded Pockets

The MIT guide to lockpicking can be found online. http://www.lysator.liu.se/mit-guide/MITLockGuide.pdf

As for lock pick kits, it's pretty easy to make your own. Hacksaw blades and the spring steel from windshield wipers are good raw materials to start with.

Lock picking can be fun, but in an emergency it will be faster and easier to go around a lock.

6. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

The Open Organization of Lockpickers (hey, I am not making this up) has a website with good info: http://toool.us/ The group also has some downloads that are useful. Bearing the aforementioned legalities in mind, picking locks can be an interesting skill since you have to have a solid understanding of the different types of locks and their construction (especially how a pin tumbler lock works). Good luck.

7. mta5888

mta5888 Loaded Pockets

http://connect.waag.org/toool/

Got some good info and links on this site.

Not really I mean there legal here and it's all about context. Sure if my LEO spots me going through a gate unauthorized but if I get hit on a quick street search cause I'm opening carrying or something, nothing they can do.

8. awad

awad Loaded Pockets

a bogata rake always comes in handy and isn't as conspicuous as a full on set of picks.

9. _STL_15_

_STL_15_ Loaded Pockets

I just carry a snake rake pick and a tension bar in my edc bag. You dont need a pouch of picks to get most jobs done. Honestly you can open most pad locks with shims of aluminum. But there just tools that you only need every once in a while but is a great skill to learn.

10. BASR

BASR Loaded Pockets

11. burnd4life

burnd4life Loaded Pockets

I carry a Dyno KWIK Pick in my E.D.C, it has saved me from being locked out of the house a few times.

12. mta5888

mta5888 Loaded Pockets

Thanks all those are really a couple good options that I like and am going to explore!

13. Tradecraft

Tradecraft Banned

I recommend just get a basic lockpicking kit to learn the basics. Once you have the basics down then I would move to a pick-gun. There are tons of online resources available for free.

If you are in Law Enforcement there are some really good schools available. One thing you will learn as you go is that most locks are NOT very secure at all and can be penetrated with relative ease. That goes for about 99% of all home locks!

14. soli

soli Loaded Pockets

Last edited by soli, Jan 26, 2013
  15. dennisgibson

dennisgibson Empty Pockets

16. G.T.

G.T. Loaded Pockets

17. mta5888

mta5888 Loaded Pockets

18. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

Error, posted on wrong thread.

19. lpd10574

lpd10574 Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the suggestions, I will definitely look into these.

20. lpd10574

lpd10574 Loaded Pockets

You are right about that at least here in NC. Possession of burglary tools, from a charging aspect is usually only used in a contextual event. When law enforcement believes the person is actually breaking into something and they are found with the tools to do the break-in on them. Take this specific charge for example.

Preparation to commit breaking and entering G.S. 14-56.4(b) states that the person did possess a motor vehicle master key, manipulative key, or other motor vehicle lock-picking device,with the intent to commit a felony, larceny, or unauthorized use of a motor propelled conveyance.

So having it isn't illegal, its what they determine your useage of it is going to be, that could potentially be problematic.