1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

LM Wave or LM Charge TTI or LM Surge?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by PPCApache, Sep 15, 2013.

?

Leatherman Wave or Charge TTi or Surge?

1. Leatherman Wave

36.0%
  2. Leatherman Charge TTi

42.0%
  3. Leatherman Surge

22.0%
  1. PPCApache
    • In Omnia Paratus

PPCApache Banned

Since I got my LM Rebar and LM Micra set for Father's Day, I have been very surprised how much I use both MT, so much so I have decided for my birthday in December to get a more heavy duty Leatherman, now the choices are below and some of the reasons.

LM Wave - Seems to be the most popular based on a number of members with one who swear by it, the one hand blade use is a huge plus. 17 tools, it has Scissors! I use double side tape a lot, (Will fit the Skinth OG sheath I have ordered from Eric for my ReBar), Weight increase from my ReBar to Wave is 1.8 oz - Not an issue carried in Skinth sheath.

LM Charge TTI - Similar to the Wave but better materials, more expensive, however still within probable budget. 19 tools, better looking Scissors than the Wave (Will fit the Skinth OG sheath I have ordered from Eric for my ReBar) Weight increase from my ReBar to Charge TTi is 1.5 oz - Not an issue carried in Skinth sheath. Actually like the size and weight of the Charge TTi just looks so nice, have been leaning towards this one over the last few weeks of looking at Reviews and the like on YouTube and here on this site.

LM Surge - Love the super size, would have to order another Skinth as the Surge won't fit the OG case would need to go for the plus (This will make Eric happy). Still with in budget in fact cheaper than the Charge TTi plus a new Skinth case . 21 tools, Awesome heavy duty Scissors! Weight increase from my ReBar to Surge is 5.8 oz, increased length = 0.5". Could be a bit of a problem even if carried in a Skinth sheath, possibly not a really a EDC MT???

What I would love is some great feed back from you guys who have either used (or owned) all three to see what you would recommend.

My work load currently has increased for installing displays, taking phones off and back onto store displays, Getting into cabinets, opening boxes of products . I may soon be doing loads more installs as the lead Tech Support / Installer for the State so was thinking about the Surge mainly due to the heavy duty side as I could see it being used a lot but I then keep looking at the Charge TTi. ..AAAAHHHHH...:banghead:

I am also looking at getting my father in law one, he current looks after the Waikato University maintenance team as the Manager so is very hands on around work and at home, I thought the surge would be ideal as is more heavy duty, giving him loads of options.

Thanks in advance for you support and advice. ..

Last edited by PPCApache, Sep 15, 2013
    Nick4305 likes this.
  2. Misha77

Misha77 Loaded Pockets

+ wave

U can't go wrong with any of this tools.
    Take a paper and make a list of thing u will probably do with Ur new MT and then look carefully all 3 of them. One will pop out...

But be carefully about this man.
    This is like u need to choose between 3 great looking sisters...:hug:
    The good thing is that at the end u will have same mother and father in law... lol

pelicularities and BubbaFett like this.
  3. PPCApache
    • In Omnia Paratus

PPCApache Banned

Just had a look at The Late Boy Scout's review on Leatherman Scissors, now based on this I am now really liking the Surge, if I would pick one tool that I currently use the most it is the Micra's Scissors to cut display signs, double sided tape, Cardboard, paper and more. do I want to take two MT's out for EDC, not really would rather have one tool... If Anyone has a Surge what do you think of the Scissors? What is the toughest thing you have cut?

Also with the weight how does the Surge feel in a Skinth Sheath (if you have one)?

4. Alfin_lee

Alfin_lee Loaded Pockets

Vote for Charge Tti.
    Have one and never felt me down

5. Sphero

Sphero Loaded Pockets

Last edited by Sphero, Sep 15, 2013
    Nick4305 likes this.
  6. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

ill read the above comments later, but i say wave
    i have a surge, its awesome....but its HUGE!
    the wave isnt huge, has a great selection of tools, and has OHO

7. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

The Wave and Charge TTi are basically the same tool with what amount to small differences. While the Charge S30v blade holds an edge longer than the Wave's 420HC, I don't find a significant advantage in that for the way I use them. Also, I find the pliers jaw-mounted crimper totally useless. The cutting hook is nice to have, I've used it a few times, but if it were not present I wouldn't miss it. What makes the Charge worth it to me is the Ti handles, much more comfortable than the sharp-edged slippery SS finish on the Wave (lucking into a great price on the TTi was also a factor, I was actually shopping for a Wave :D.) Even though I know several tradesmen who swear by their Waves, I would spend the extra for a tool I expect to use often. The only thing I would fault on the Wave/Charge is lack of an awl, an implement I use often enough that lack of one is usually a deal breaker for me. I would have passed on the Charge for that reason if it were not for another bit of luck in finding an awl mod offered by a forumite at the same time the Charge came up for sale.

The Surge scissors are probably the heaviest duty on Leatherman multi-tools, but are not as wieldy for fine purposes. Although they seem less robust than the Surge scissors, those on the Wave/Charge actually perform very well on a variety of materials. I had a Surge for a while, liked it, thought I could handle the extra weight, but in the end could not. For the weight, I do better with a small tool kit.

Last edited by znapschatz, Sep 15, 2013
    MrOG and Gryffin like this.
  8. Th4rg0r

Th4rg0r Loaded Pockets

I only have a black surge, a little big in comparison, but reason I got it is also cos it's biggish and easier to hold. Don't use the scissors much though. Carries in the free pouch on my belt.

Think it's a perfect MT if you use one all the time. (Okay, not if you use the wire cutters all the time)

9. BubbaFett
    • In Omnia Paratus

BubbaFett Loaded Pockets

I recommend getting a range of sizes. I have a Sidekick, Charge, and Surge.

For my needs Surge is too big to carry on my person, it rides in my bag if I feel I might need it. Usually carry Sidekick or Charge or both with one in a bag depending on the situation.

Not sure where Rebar falls on size but if its larger, either Wave or Charge should make a nice medium.

Leatherman's website has a good comparison tool, or you can check out this thread here: http://edcforums.com/threads/leathermans-lets-compare-sizes-pics.110632/

Hope this helps.

10. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

Out of those and with your needs I would choose the TTi. I have both the Wave and the TTi and as stated above they are similar, they seem like a good choice for your needs and the TTi is in my opinion superior to the Wave.

The Surge is great but its huge.

11. Rockwell Torrey

Rockwell Torrey Loaded Pockets

I don't get to vote. This is my LM of choice.

[​IMG]Uploaded with ImageShack.com

Strange thought of the week: Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason.

znapschatz and ran23 like this.
  12. Yetitrician

Yetitrician Loaded Pockets

If weight is a concern here are my tools on a scale y.m.m.v.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You stated you wanted a heaver duty tool I would recommend the surge over all, followed closely behind the supertool 300. I also recommend waiting until the new version of the surge is released with the heavier pliers.

I recommend the wave as the benchmark leatherman. It is, in my opinion, the best leatherman for someone new to multitools to step off from.

If you have any other specific questions about these tools just ask.

13. kembativz

kembativz Loaded Pockets

I'd have to go for the charge tti. It hasn't left my pocket since I bought it. Like a wave, but so much more comfortable to use and better quality.

14. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

Hmmm... The Charge scissors are exactly the same as the Wave scissors, not sure why you think they're different.

The Surge is a much bigger, heavier tool than the other two. It's popular with people who use their multitools daily in their line of work, as it's weight is easier to justify when you're using it several times a day; for regular suburban EDC, the Wave/Charge are a more reasonable size.

Also, the saw/file mount on the Surge isn't quite as handy as you'd think; the base itself is pretty big, which limits you to very short saw blades, at least if you want to keep the blade on the tool. If you're willing to carry extra blades separately, and install them as needed, you can use larger ones.

The Wave/Charge actually have longer files, because they don't waste space on a removable mount. The Surge scissors are big, but the smaller Wave/Charge scissors are crazy sharp, and IMHO actually cut better, especially in tough materials that can bind up the Surge scissors.

As for the Charge vs. the Wave, it's more of a matter of taste I think. The thicker titanium scales of the Charge are a bit more comfortable, but the Wave is actually a tad lighter; if you really need the crimper, the Charge has it, the Wave doesn't. Other than that, I guess it comes down to, are you willing to way the price differential for better knife blade steel? The 420HC blade on the Wave isn't exactly crap, but yeah, the Charge's S30V will hold an edge longer. How much is that worth to you?

powerring likes this.
  15. prowannabe

prowannabe Loaded Pockets

I have a Surge, Kick, and Micra. Surge goes with me everyday. Scissors are great.

PPCApache likes this.
  16. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

Is it? Leatherman.com lists the Wave at 241 grams (8.5 oz) and the Charge TTi at 232 grams (8.2 oz), a similar difference can be seen in Yetitricians post above. It is possible that the new Charge design accounts for the .2 oz difference between Yetitrician post and LMs stated weight.

The original Wave was a bit lighter than both the New Wave and the Charge Ti/xTi/TTi but the new one isn't as far as I can tell. On the other hand the old wave didn't have locking interior tools or bit drivers.

17. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

In the past I have noted some discrepancies between Leatherman's weight specs and my particular samples. I had a Surge once, 12.5 oz. according to the Leatherman site, that weighed 11.8 oz. on my scale (calibrated to a postal scale known to be accurate). There were a couple of others too, a Juice and a Charge TTi. Most of the ones I weighed were as published, though. I've sometimes wondered if different batches varied from the published specs because of differences in materials or manufacturing techniques, or maybe posted before the item was actually made.

18. Severino Simeone

Severino Simeone Empty Pockets

Hi All
    I have a new Leatherman Charge TTI and was reecntly using the pliers when I heard and "felt" a small "click". Then I immedialtey noticed that one of the handles does not lock out anymore - any ideas on how to fix?????
    I am in Oman and using the post to do a remote fix is a real pain.
    Cheers
    Severino

19. Zeta

Zeta Loaded Pockets

I love my LM Wave. I've had it for years and it's been very durable. I want to get the new version with the beltclip. Can't go wrong with the Wave.

20. wasteland_wanderer

wasteland_wanderer Loaded Pockets

Ive been tossing around pretty much the same question for a while now, and Ive come to the conclusion of the charge tti for myself. I'm pretty much just waiting and watching for any sort of deals and discounts so i can (slightly) justify the cost.

PPCApache likes this.