1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

LM Squirt PS4 tested

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by plaguem, Sep 18, 2013.

1. plaguem

plaguem Loaded Pockets

I did a search a while ago for stories involving real life use for the PS4 but I couldn't find any. Thought I'd share this story.

I carry a PS4 and a small flashlight on a suspension clip as part of my EDC. I've always used the PS4 for trivial things thus far, like clipping my nails, filing things here and there, opening packets and stuff like that. Never anything hardcore, at least not for the pliers. I've been itching for a real opportunity to use it and that finally came earlier this week.

I was driving a long and I got a puncture. I heard an odd knocking with each rotation of the wheels. I stopped the car and I saw this.

[​IMG]

My first thought was, “oh great now I need to take the car to the shop to get it fixed. what a bother”. Anyway after thinking of it for a while, I thought I’d try to fix it myself. I’ve seen it done often enough. I just never bought the tools and figured it won’t happen often enough to me to justify getting it. I didn’t have any pliers on me either, I thought, when I realized that I had my PS4 with me. Cool finally I can put the pliers through some real life test!

So I drove to find what I needed and I found this. Not a bad feat, seeing that it was already 10pm at that time.

[​IMG]

I then drove to the nearest petrol station and started to jack the car up and remove the tyre.

[​IMG]

When I had a closer look at the bolt that had perforated my tyre, I got a tinge of doubt whether or not the PS4 was up to the task of yanking that out. I went ahead anyway, deciding to use a grab and twist motion, instead of yanking it from the top.

[​IMG]

The PS4 gripped the bolt, but not very securely. I had to grip it quite hard. A full sized pair of pliers was definitely better suited for this. I hunkered down on the PS4 and applied all the pressure necessary to finish the job. After a few twists and pulls, the bolt came out.

[​IMG]

Here’s the picture of the infernal bolt that caused the damage. I also took a closer look at the PS4 for damage, or hinge play and I was very pleased to find no damage to any part of the pliers or the hinge at all. :) Such a great tool to have on a keychain!

[​IMG]

Anyway I fixed the tyre without issue after that. Pumped the tyre up, and start humming the Macgyver theme song, with my wife harmonizing in the background. :) Thanks to my PS4, I didn’t have to go home for a tool box or my full sized LM wave or anything like that. :)

Great tool! Go buy one if you haven’t already!

Oh and nevermind that I later found a pair of regular pliers in my car's toolbag. Where's the fun in using that eh? :D

Last edited by plaguem, Sep 18, 2013
  2. Joost Heijnen
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Joost Heijnen EDC Junkie!!!!!

Cool story.. I'm amused by the way you wrote it.. Thanks for a good laugh..

plaguem likes this.
  3. metropolicity

metropolicity Loaded Pockets

This makes me feel so good about carrying a MT all the time. All warm and fuzzy.

Thanks for sharing, keep on 'Guyvering!

SAKplumber and plaguem like this.
  4. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

always keep a LM on me. All the time. Unless im being intimate or showering etc.
    love my PS4, but quit carrying it a bit back due to keeping my Wave on my belt, but at times when I cant belt carry (formal), I put the PS4 back into action.

plaguem likes this.
  5. metropolicity

metropolicity Loaded Pockets

Intimate...like when you are breaking in another new MT? ;)

warchild likes this.
  6. Slipjoint

Slipjoint Loaded Pockets

I've used my tire patch kit at least 6 or 7 times to repair a flat and get moving again. I keep a small air compressor in my vehicles as well, to refill the emptied tire. This setup has saved me lots of time, trouble, and money by allowing me to fix my tires in the spot. I've also used it to help strangers out a few times.

pacrawshaw and T.H.Cone like this.
  7. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

Hey, you spelled tire wrong.:rofl:

Seriously, though, that's awesome that you solved the problem by yourself. We should all strive to be that self-reliant. What's the quote... ah, yes,found it-

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly (and, dare I say, fix a flat). Specialization is for insects."
    — Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

As for the PS4, I personally think it doesn't get the respect it deserves. When I can't bring myself to lug around a full size MT, the PS4 disappears into my 5th pocket. Realistically, for most people, most of the time, it is really all the MT you need.

plaguem and SAKplumber like this.
  8. Varmitslayer

Varmitslayer Loaded Pockets

I actually found myself in a similar situation on Tuesday. I had ran over deer and a piece of bone was lodged in my tire, luckily I had a similar tire repair kit and a Leatherman Wingman. Only took me about 15 minutes and I was back on the road.

9. plaguem

plaguem Loaded Pockets

Joost, metropolicity, itshardtoknow, thank you for the kind comments. Oh and Metropolicity, it was actually your incredible mods with the Squirt series that first brought that leatherman range to my EDC consciousness!

you keep a small air compressor in your car??? whoaa.. now that's being ready! i was contemplating whether or not to put my bicycle pump in my car, but using that would take ages to inflate a car tyre. can you share which model of air compressor that is?

Oh that's how our formal colonial masters (the british!) use to spell it. lol. I guess some things just stick. :D

Great quote! Made me laugh out loud, and I'm in the office now!

T.H.Cone likes this.
  10. Slipjoint

Slipjoint Loaded Pockets

I don't recall the brand, but I doubt it's still made in any case. I got it about 15 years ago and stuff like that changes continually. It came as a kit with a bottle of "Green Slime" tire sealant, and it's roughly the size of a cigar box. It cost maybe $25 or $30 bucks. I think I got it at Walmart or somewhere similar.

I'd imagine you can get a new one for under $40 if you look around a bit. Make sure you put some earplugs in your tire-changing kit cause those little compressors are LOUD!

patrat likes this.
  11. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

I'm only here for the laughs.:D

12. patrat

patrat Loaded Pockets

I have used my P4 for disassembly and repair of a clothes washing machine, took the case fully off.

Now that I have a PS4 it is becoming my go-to only tool and knife for lightweight backpacking. Its hard to leave my modded Wave at home, but the PS4 does everything I need in the backcountry (within a fire ban area, anyway). It has knife and scissors for camp cutting tasks, pliers provide pot holding and splinter pulling, and the file is sufficient for light gear deburring. The drivers and pliers cover all the gadgets I bring.

13. patrat

patrat Loaded Pockets

My Porsche 944 had an air compressor that fit inside the hollow of the spare tire. Standard equipment, because the spare tire was stowed deflated and had a special collapsing sidewall.

That was a 1987 model, and it still worked when I sold the car in 2011.