1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

LM Sheaths: Leather or Nylon (and why?)

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by STHFNGLD, May 25, 2008.

?

which lm sheath: nylon or leather?

1. Leather

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Nylon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Clead

Clead Loaded Pockets

Sorry to revive a dead thread...
    I hated the leather sheath for my Surge. A friend tried to give me his when he bought a nylon sheath and I wouldn't even take it off his hands, lol. I love the little side pockets on the nylon case. I've got a Zebra F301 compact pen in one side and my Ti micro prybar in the other side. Add to that the several other T-shank blades I carry behind my LM against the back, and it's quite a kit. :)

2. XeroTheHero

XeroTheHero Loaded Pockets

I've carried both, most of the time it was my Wave in a leather sheath. Having carried both, I think I would prefer nylon. It carries a little easier and is more comfortable. I had the same problem as one of the other posters with the leather sort of digging in.

3. PetaBread

PetaBread Empty Pockets

I prefer a leather sheath for my Juice S2.

It has a clip and its strong :-X

P.S. If it wasn't Made in China i'd probably like it more :rolleyes:

4. NeonLights

NeonLights Loaded Pockets

I generally prefer buying my Leathermen with the leather sheaths and then using one of my nylon sheaths I've bought separately when I want horizontal belt carry or other flexibility that a nylon sheath offers. Unfortunately the leather LM sheaths have been dropping in quality over the years. The Mexican made leather sheath that came with my Core I picked up a month or two ago was the worst yet, the rivets on the bottom catch the Core and it is a real chore to get it all the way down in the sheath. I do really like the hybrid type sheath that came on my Charge Ti with the three nylon/elastic pockets. I keep a bit kit in one, a Zebra pen in one, and an Arc AAA in the other.

5. phaserrifle

phaserrifle Loaded Pockets

I use leather for mine. however the leather sheaths have changed somewhat. the one on my dads old leatherman (origional PST I think) is made of leather with a massive thickness, that has worn in very well, and actualy achieves to not look taty, just well worn in. the sheath on my new core on the other hand, is somewhat less heavily built, and I have a feeling it may start to break around the snap in the next year or so, although i could be wrong. also the wear on it looks awful.

does anyone know if the old style sheaths are still available from somewhere, in sizes suitable to fit the more recent designs?

6. ajacobs

ajacobs Loaded Pockets

I hate both the flat nylon - like the nylon for the core and mini tool and the nylon and leather with the elastic sides. I wouldn't use either.

I love the very slim leather ones with like the original pst came in with the rivets in the back. The only one I know of you still get if for is the core.

I also like the leather with the stitched edge like was available with the wave.

For older tools like the supertools that are 4.5 inch and the wave I use a tad gear or eagle nylon preferable becuase I have had such bad experience with tad's service.

7. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

You can still buy riveted leather belt sheaths directly from SOG. They may fit Leatherman tools.

They sell nylon sheaths, too.

8. _STL_15_

_STL_15_ Loaded Pockets

Nylon all the way. I have a LM sheath that also has a ring on the side for a flashlight.

9. b@man

b@man Loaded Pockets

nylon MOLLE sheath attaches to stuff better ;D

10. phaserrifle

phaserrifle Loaded Pockets

yep. problem is they make them out of far thinner leather now. still quite stiff, but it worries me.

11. themadplumbarian

themadplumbarian Loaded Pockets

I like both, the nylon is more comfortable, but you have the velcro, it sucks, love leather, i do most of my own because, they just dont make it like they used to, i ordered a Case knife, with a leather holster, and well it was crap, not the knife, but the leather it was so thin, and cheezy, if you get a good thick leather sheath, its better, takes a while to wear in, but last, just like when you got your first base ball glove, you had to wear it in,,, JR

12. greenLED

greenLED Empty Pockets

:worthless:

13. dfinf2

dfinf2 Loaded Pockets

I tend to use both. I carry my SOG PowerLock in leather when I EDC it as it matches my leather belt perfectly. I use Nylon when camping or hiking, etc. because I can attach it from my belt to a bag to my leg or whatever and just makes it easier

14. scott_blah

scott_blah Loaded Pockets

Personally Im not a fan of leather, I find it too rigid and a little old school.
    But in saying this I dont carry my leaherman OWB so not really and issue, but I prefure a nylon one for protection if i throw my leatherman in a bag or something similar

15. chaka

chaka Loaded Pockets

Do you have one? Does it have the side and back compartments as the regular ones?

16. b@man

b@man Loaded Pockets

unfortunately it doesn't have the side pockets just the back one. wish it did :shrug:

17. chaka

chaka Loaded Pockets

Well, it shouldn't be too hard to add the side pockets...

18. b@man

b@man Loaded Pockets

I have an industrial sewing machine so I can modify just about anything :evilgrin:

19. chaka

chaka Loaded Pockets

:evil: You just want me to get jealous...

Any chance of making a molle sheath with side pockets for me???

20. b@man

b@man Loaded Pockets

you got me thinking and looking at my sheath. they're set up a little differen't but I think it would work. maybe I'll try with mine and I can do one for you if it works. I think you can get the MOLLE sheaths on the 'bay