1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

LM Sheaths: Leather or Nylon (and why?)

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by STHFNGLD, May 25, 2008.

?

which lm sheath: nylon or leather?

1. Leather

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Nylon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. STHFNGLD

STHFNGLD Empty Pockets

So tell me... Which type of sheath do you favor for your LM Multitool? I personally prefer the nylon.

2. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

Neither is completely satisfactory. Leather wears better, but nylon is more comfortable. Most of the leather sheaths ride too high and under many situations dig me in the back. OTOH, I hate the sound of ripping Velcro and it doesn't last more than a couple of years. All considered, I opt for nylon and expect to replace it periodically.

3. MFS1589

MFS1589 Loaded Pockets

The leather sheath that came with my last Core sucked!! Thin leather and looked like the cheap leather goods you see in a Mexican boarder town, Nylon is the way to go for me. YMMV.

4. cptd

cptd Empty Pockets

Kydex that I made for it. Totally secure, cheap, easier to use than either the leather or nylon.

CPTD

5. bruner

bruner Loaded Pockets

The only LM I have with a sheath is my Crunch. It's sheath is nylon. I don't carry it on my belt, only in my BOB. I voted nylon and prefer nylon because it is less bulky and more flexible. For me, it is more of a protective cover than a carry option. Though, if I were to carry it on a belt, I would still prefer nylon for the same reasons.

Dan

6. schlemshfifty5

schlemshfifty5 Empty Pockets

I prefer nylon, though I always replace the Velcro with snaps. They are much more durable, last longer, have no annoying ripping sound, and don't get lint and bits of string stuck to them. They are easy to put on with a home snap kit, I got mine from Wal-Mart, all you need is a hammer and an awl.

7. Ainsley

Ainsley Loaded Pockets

I have one of the older brown leather sheaths with the snap for my wave. It holds up very well and looks better as it wears. I have contemplated getting one of the new leather ones so that I can stick the wave back in while open (might be easier when fishing) and my understanding is that they also have a small space where I could perhaps slide a 1xAAA light as backup. After the opinions in this thread I think I'll stick with the one I got.

8. millhouse

millhouse Loaded Pockets

I use both but generally prefer nylon.

On tools where a proper fitted nylon pouch is available, I use that. Where there is only a universal pouch available, such as on the Kick, the leather is better as the nylon one is ill fitting and cumbersome.

On my Charge Ti, I use a Wave nylon sheath. On my Kick, I use the standard leather.

I tend to prefer nylon as I find them more comfortable to wear. The leather sheath that came with the charge use to rub and irritate.

9. jp2515

jp2515 Loaded Pockets

I voted for Nylon since I usually scratch anything made with leather.

10. Taylor

Taylor Empty Pockets

I love the nylon. I had a leatherman wave for a couple of years before my brother lost it. I had a leather sheath. But after the leatherman was gone, I had no use for the sheath. The nylon are made with elastic sides which can fit a very wide and thick phone. Plus. In the event that you are outdoors for an extended period of time, the nylon will not rot on you.
    :cool:

11. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Loaded Pockets

Leather for added EDC value - the double elastic sides allow for stuffing stuff :) A small single-AAA light, several rolled banknotes, the list can go on.

12. Taylor

Taylor Empty Pockets

Thanks for that tip. I will get single celled led. What kind do you have?

13. Ainsley

Ainsley Loaded Pockets

They don't have a separate slot to slip something like this, do they? I'm guessing you just stick the light in right up against the tool.

This would be pretty cool... might have to get a nylon case for when i'm back-packing and portaging so I can slip my L0D in next to my wave, just incase (although I do already carry a headlamp and a surefire (or two))

14. schlemshfifty5

schlemshfifty5 Empty Pockets

The sides each have 2 pieces of elastic in them, so you can fit in small objects between the elastic, like an AAA Flashlight.

15. Ainsley

Ainsley Loaded Pockets

Very cool! thanks for the quick reply. I may have to try and pick one of these up some time soon. Perhaps I'll grab a squirt p4 while I'm at it.

16. oldblazer

oldblazer Loaded Pockets

I like both leather and nylon for different reasons.

I like leather because:
    1. it can be worn with casual to dressier clothes
    2. it "wears" well, meaning its durable (when it shows a little age just treat it with your favorite leather care products to keep it from looking worn or from getting hard & brittle)
    3. my friend has a custom pouch - natural color, white stitching, and with his employer's company logo embossed on the flap

I like nylon because:
    1. of the reasons already mentioned by others, except I made my own (using fabric from a castoff green backpack, thin open cell foam for padding, velcro, green nylon webbing, and nylon thread)

17. STHFNGLD

STHFNGLD Empty Pockets

Nylon lets you do the same ;D

18. STHFNGLD

STHFNGLD Empty Pockets

oops sorry for the one below. quoted wrong one lol :lolhammer: but ya, nylon has double slastics. at least my tti does

19. Snapper314

Snapper314 Empty Pockets

I have the leather one that came with my Charge Ti and love it.

I carry it horizontally at the 4:30 to 6:00 position.

20. Stutoffee

Stutoffee Loaded Pockets

I like the original brown leather sheath for my (old) Wave as it has that "lived in" look.
    But, I bought a Nylon one as an add-on & found that very practical as It held a Swedish Fire-steel & Mag Solotaire in the elasticated side pouches.

I actually ended up using the Nylon pouch as a carrier for my Motorola Razr V3x mobile phone.