1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

LLBEAN Waxed Canvas Continental Rucksack any experience with them?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Bagheera, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Bagheera

Bagheera Empty Pockets

Hello everyone,

It turns out my green TAD Gear FASTpack (2nd gen) isn't to well received by many customers that I visit.
    I use the FASTpack to carry my laptop and all associated stuff, this is better for my back then carrying a heavy laptop bag over one shoulder.

I saw the LLBEAN waed canvas rucksack and it looks much more civilized and I don't think it will draw as much attention as the FASTpack.

I was thinking about buying the medium sized one and I would appreciate any tyhoughts/input from you guys&galls having one already good or bad.

The rucksack can be found here:

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&categoryId=42973&sc1=Search&feat=sr

Cheers,

Bagheera

2. lalew

lalew Loaded Pockets

I don't use the LL Bean backpack, but I am using a tactical tailor 3-day pack and customers don't seem to mind. My pack is in black but I used to carry one in woodland camo too.

3. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

Just curious. In what line of work are these customers?

You could attach some colorful, flowery patches to your pack with Velcro when dealing with the fashion critics, then remove the patches after work.

4. Bagheera

Bagheera Empty Pockets

I'm in the software business so flowery patches wouldn't be to good an idea ;D

I'm known to my colleagues and customers as the MIG "Man In Green" as that is my preferred color for clothes.

You can't hide the military look of the FASTpack so the LLBEAN Waxed canvas one really looked like a good alternative, the stupid thing is that LLBEAN isn't anywhere to be seen in Europe.
    So before I spend around $110.00 I would like some feedback from users.

One thing is that it will need to comfortably hold my laptop which has a 15" wide screen so really is not to big like the 17"ones are.

Ultimately I would be selling/trading the 2nd gen Green FASTpack for the LLBEAN waxed canvas rucksack.

So hopefully somebody has some first hand experience and can write down his/her experiences with the rucksack.

Cheers,

Bagheera

5. loveit

loveit Uber Prepared

First of all, I don't have experience with this rucksack. BUT, I have had many many experiences with LL Bean. They are a great company that stands behind products. They will refund anything you are not satisfied with. I have one bag that has held up well, but it hasn't seen that much use. A friend has a bag she uses daily. It has lasted 14 years. In that time a zipper finally broke. LL Bean fixed it free. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them.

6. cbdudley

cbdudley Loaded Pockets

I have several of their waxed canvas bags. They are of excellent quality, and the company stands behind everything they sell. Their customer service is just about the best anywhere.

One thing I can recommend - don't leave them in a closed vehicle in the summer - the heat will melt the wax. Don't ask me how I know about this.

7. Bagheera

Bagheera Empty Pockets

Guys,

Thanks for the info, CB does your waxed canvas rucksack from LLBean have that 3D mesh back "panel" like they describe on their website?

Any chance you could snap a few pics and post them? or pm me and I'll send you my email Addy and you could email them. I'm especially interested in the backpanel /straps setup and the main compartment setup as they talk about mesh dividers.

I would go for the medium sized (largest size available) waxed canvas rucksack, 2000 cubic inches = 30 liter size and I'm wondering if my 15" normal sized laptop would fit into it?
    If it does I think the time has come to say goodbye to my FAST Pack Gen 2 and get myself the LLBean one :)

Thanks on the customer service side comments, I already have some Filson gear and they are also very customer committed, the founders of companies like Filson and LLBean really stood 100% behind their products and it made their companies great, great to see that in modern times that same commitment to customers still exists, to me that is worth the extra $$.

Best Scouting wishes from Holland,

Bagheera

8. ppfd

ppfd Loaded Pockets

Just curious as to why a "pack" would offend anyone? :shrug:

As for LL Bean, I am a long time customer, and anything I have bought has been top notch! Returns are pain free as well! I don't have any experience with the pack in question. But if its like any Bean bag I've bought, the construction is top notch and Bean planners seem to put some thought into bag design.

I have this model, the turbo hauler, (link wont work)
    Same color, I don't know if it would hold a 15" laptop. It does have a laptop pocket in it.

9. dowtech

dowtech Loaded Pockets

I was interested in the LL Bean rucksack awhile back. I only saw it "in person" once -- a guy I met on the trail had one, and he liked it.

I was looking for a true, hiking quality daypack (not an urban laptop carrier) for a couple of reasons: so I could use it actually hiking when I travel, and so it wouldn't scream "expensive laptop inside." After a lot of research and brainstorming, I realized that I needed a couple of things: 1) a panel loading pack so it would be easy to remove the laptop when going through security checks, and 2) a two or three compartment pack so I could get the computer out at said checks without disturbing the rest of my gear. At the same time, though, I wanted extra padding for the laptop that is usually only available in the purpose-made packs.

I had almost decided on a JanSport model when I read a bunch of reviews online that cautioned about its durability. At the same time, I learned of the North Face Recon model. I ended up with the Recon, buying at one of the regular Eastern Mountain Sports sales for 30% off, along with a a padded sleeve for the laptop. Both for well under $100. I've carried the Recon daily for four years, to work, on planes, and on the trail and it doesn't show a sign of wear (not counting the remains of a banana that got squished in the outer "helmet" pocket!).

10. Bagheera

Bagheera Empty Pockets

PPFD,

Don't ask me, times are changing.

Hunting in the Netherlands for example is frowned upun and a hunter can't hardly go hunting anymore without some freaks of the anti-hunting community posting at their cars in the field, taping everything they do with a camcorder etc.

Because I'm wearing a lot of "green" clothing I'm often classified as "hunter" and get remarks about it.

Carrying a pocket knife, which I consider a normal thing, is seen as additional proof of me being really freaky.

Nowadays I only carry a small Doug Ritter RSK with yellow handle when commuting to/from work as I've had people talk to the conductor when I was peeling/cutting an apple using the full size black handled one, pocket knives are slowly turning into a No No thing for carrying with you in the Netherlands.

The green FAST pack is somehow amplifying, to this lot of :censored:, their level of "discomfort" anyone not having a curly haired pelt is frowned upon.

Anyhow, as I'm considered an oldtimer (50+, well just ;) ) and still remember carrying my fathers waxed German hunting rucksack when I was a youngster seeying the LLBean waxed canvas rucksack made me long for one.

Cheers,

Bagheera