1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Lip Balm .... ?

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by MicroMike, Dec 14, 2013.

1. jazzbone1031

jazzbone1031 Loaded Pockets

I also tend to use Burt's Bees now. Main reason, honestly, is that it's the only one available for purchase where I work (office supplies chain).

2. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

Another one carrying Burts Bee's

Half of it comes down to the fact I just prefer the wee 8.5g tin version you can get as I like the size/shape of it better than the typical chapstick tube (which you can also get Burts bee's in) or the other 'jar' type ones I have seen.

3. Hi its me

Hi its me Loaded Pockets

I carry burts bee's
    I haven;t used it yet but i carry it :frantic:

jazzbone1031 likes this.
  4. Aaron Gillispie

Aaron Gillispie Loaded Pockets

Burts Bees, but it has to be the Mango. Dont lIke the peppermint.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

5. Cdunbar29

Cdunbar29 Loaded Pockets

Sorry I totally forgot to respond to all this. Yes, Basically she bought 100,000 acres north of baxter state park from irving paper. She posted and blocked all of the known roads onto the property and persecuted all caught trespassers. her intention was to donate the land to the Fed for a national park, which is ridiculous because baxter is 200,000+ acres for privately funded park, all surrounding Maine's tallest mountain. So why would you want a donated national park half of the size, with no real roads or infrastructure, next to self containing park that pulls like 60,000+. She shut out thousands of families from hunting and fishing camps that had term land leases from irving. a few years ago she stepped down and let her son take control of the project, i assume to get her face out of peoples minds, and he has yet to make any more progress other than proposing small parts of the land for this or that. The worst part of all this, Northern Maine is very quite. We all love to hunt, fish, snow sled, and make fun of the Tourists that come up to enjoy the beautify that our state has to offer, But this area 100% requires snowmobilers from south to come and ride in the winter and hike in the summer, tourism is the only thing keeping this area going after paper productions where outsourced 20 years ago. what we need the most is our favorite fishing holes, and our favorite hunting roads. not a government controlled gate that we have to pay to drive roads we built to places he can't hunt or fish anymore. Yes our half of the state gains from any tourist, but hikers and campers are not what we need. we need snow sledders to buy gas and stay in hotels rooms, deer hunters to by ammo and beer from our stores and fly fishers to eat in our restaurants after they strike out on the waters. sorry again for the small rant. if your interested more, i recommend a very well written article from the Boston globe, that outlines the new actions of the quimby party. there is much more to this but, you get my dislike of BB stuff.

Oh and PS, i heard from a State cop buddy of mine, she had to move down to southern maine because she received an extreme amount of death threats, one including a gate that had been torn down, and thrown onto her front yard with a note saying "put it up and we'll pull it down, brick it up and we''ll box you up"

Last edited by Cdunbar29, Apr 2, 2014
  6. blickblack

blickblack Loaded Pockets

Gas station ChapStick for me

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

7. Enemy Combatant

Enemy Combatant Loaded Pockets

Blistex is good. Solid SPF for outdoor activity. I also use Carmex when my lips look like Egyptian mummy skin.

8. MKram

MKram Loaded Pockets

Dermatone (sparingly!) when up in the mountains with snow, here. Otherwise something with a degree of sunblock and trying to remember that I should drink more water.

9. Karmakanic

Karmakanic Loaded Pockets

I've never needed to use the stuff on my mouth, but it's great for treating the splits I get on the ends of my fingers in winter.

10. Knightrock
    • In Omnia Paratus

Knightrock EDC Junkie!!!!!

Never use it.

11. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Some brands actually thin the skin and make it more susceptible to moisture loss. I think the wax / petroleum jelly options are pretty much neutral, but Carmex and medicated lip balms will reduce your lips' ability to retain moisture.
    Good suggestion.

Alternately, I use a 3mL dropper bottle with jojoba oil in it. You can get a lot of 10 or 20 on eBay (they actually market them for e-cig fluid). The jojoba works on dry hands or lips. It's technically a wax ester, not an oil, but it's chemically similar to sebum (natural skin oil).

powerring likes this.
  12. Eklipsis

Eklipsis Loaded Pockets

I carry ChapStick but only in my jacket...I've tried carrying in my pockets but it ends up sliding all the way out when its rolling around in my pocket and causing problems...I need to get some of the squeeze tube kind because the tubs seem too bulky for me.

13. pduds

pduds Loaded Pockets

I am firmly in the "addicted" category. I carry one lip balm at all times on my person. I have 2 more in my All Hazards backpack or Moab 6 (one of which always goes with me). in my BOB I think I have 6 or 8. I can't sit down to watch TV or go to bed without the lip balm close at hand.

One thing that I realized is that it doesn't make sense to put anything on your lips that you wouldn't want to eat. Preparedness (whether it's everyday or emergency) is all about making your body ready as well, and the healthier you are, the more likely you are to thrive and survive. Petroleum products, sunscreens-- all these end up absorbed into your skin or your digestive tract. over a lifetime could be quite a lot of material. so I use the natural ones. and I can firmly attest that they will make you dependent as well-- I couldn't go a day without chapstick!

These guys called Healing Bliss have a lip balm that is the same as their Rescue Salve with calendula and comfrey. works well on the skin for minor cuts and scrapes, although wouldn't overuse on lips due to comfrey content

14. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

Sir Robert Chesebrough, the inventor of Vaseline petroleum jelly, ate a spoonful every morning. He lived to be 96 years old. It certainly kept him lubed. ;)

15. dcmassena

dcmassena Loaded Pockets

I usually carry Burt's Bees or Blistex Medicated (my current choice). When I was in the Army I carried the Carmex in the little round tin, but I haven't used that in years.

16. GQP

GQP Loaded Pockets

Ive found that plain petroleum jelly works best for me if I put it on at night. Ill use and carry Chapstick for the day. I don't suffer from chapped lips often. Only time anything dries out in Memphis is on rare long\cold winters. I mostly use it when I am traveling to more arid environments. I would be a Chapstick junkie if I lived in Nevada. I swear I can feel my eyeballs cracking when I visit there.

powerring likes this.
  17. amen74

amen74 Loaded Pockets

Carmex here too. I find that too many like the normal tubed Chapstick is just too waxy for me. Does more harm than good from my personal experience.

18. gflack

gflack Loaded Pockets

Burt's Bee's...

19. robthedodo

robthedodo Empty Pockets

Palmers cocoa butter lib balm. as it is also SPF15 to give my lips a bit of protection if the sun ever shines....i live in the UK, it's rare (or certainly feels like it) :)

20. kkay

kkay Uber Prepared

I use either Classic Chapstick in cherry flavor, or I like Burt's Bees, especially mango. Oh, I am quite addicted to using lip balm, and I keep it with me 24/7. It is a habit, no doubt.