1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Lines, plain, or graph paper for EDC note[book|pad]?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by someoneyoudontknow, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Waterborne

Waterborne Loaded Pockets

I'm a fan of the graph ruled Moleskine as it fits my writing/drawing style better than plain or ruled pages.

2. JoeyBones

JoeyBones Loaded Pockets

You sound JUST like me...I even went so far as to have a local print shop try and produce a small 8x5 engineering paper type notebook for me...didnt turn out nearly as nice as I'd want for daily use as they couldnt bind it properly and the paper felt like copy paper....also was INCREDIBLY expensive. I would highly suggest you check out some doane paper/pads or also www.whitelines.se I will be ordering one of these when I next need a notebook.

I currently carry a moleskine like grid notebook because anything moleskine dimensions has a HUGE variety of covers and such to go with hit.

3. bozatron

bozatron Loaded Pockets

squared paper for me, it suits for writing and helps with drawing things out quickly when I am on site. I work in construction BTW.

4. Towanda

Towanda Loaded Pockets

You could try printing your own graph paper at this site with lines as faint as you like, and then get the paper bound into notebooks at Kinko's or somewhere.

5. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

My personal preference for EDC writing material is index cards. If I'm using a notebook, I like the line Moleskin Voliants or a grid-ruled level peg book. I find for a smaller writing pad, the grid doesn't add much. Granted, the largest notebook I will EDC is wallet-sized. On occasions where I will be sketching, I will take an engineering pad on a clipboard or a field book, which has a grid rule (for sketching) on one side and lines (for notes) on the other side.

Good engineering paper has lines on the back of the sheets, not on the front. If the lines are too dark for you, it sounds to me like you are 1) actually using graph paper, 2) using cheap engineering paper, or 3) you are using the paper backwards (don't laugh, I've seen it several times).

Engineering pads have a 0.2" grid, which is approximately a 0.5cm grid. The good ones also have a heavier line at 1" increments. It really helps when preparing graphs or drawing things to scale.

6. enine

enine Loaded Pockets

What I have currently is this http://www.staples.com/Ampad-Evidence-Engineers-5-x-5-Quadrille-Pad/product_601021?cmArea=SEARCH

the lines are on the back but then they are kind of fuzzy on the front.

My degree is in Electronics Engineering so I never really used or was taught to use real engineers graph paper like one would use in somehting like mechinical engineering, I like tto design and build things for myself and never really learned any CAD software either so I tend to think and design on graph paper.

7. JoeyBones

JoeyBones Loaded Pockets

well that is the point for just feint lines on the front. Make sure to keep the paper in "pad" form so you have multiple sheets backing things up, this will help greatly in having lines visible from the front. Once you get used to it there will be no substitute for working out some real designs and calculations. It is literally my favorite paper but even after contacting every manufacturer of this type paper, NONE will create the same design in a smaller "pocket" size.

8. someoneyoudontknow

someoneyoudontknow Loaded Pockets

You should pick up a book on drafting and invest in a small set of triangles and a clipboard-sized T-square. I took drafting in high school and I can tell you, even a poor drawing is easier to read than a drawing on graph paper.

9. enine

enine Loaded Pockets

I have some drafting templates and such, they seem to be rough on pens though. I think I may just have to hunt down a true drafting/engineering store and see what the engineers pads look like there, the $5/100 sheets that office supply stores carry probably are not the best quality, my college sold 10 sheets at a time for a couple $. I looked at an old scan and the lines are crisp and clear and the color is closer to white then the greenish I have now. Those were National brand, may have to hunt for it. IIRC I had to hunt down some log and semi log paper for one of the communications/antenna theory classes.

found it http://www.amazon.com/National-Computation-Inches-Sheets-42382/dp/B0007LTJO0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1290133516&sr=8-3
    and it can be ordered in white it seems. I don't see other then the 5 square grid but that may do.
    I like white because I like colors, just started testing new pens, I posted in the favorite pen thread about the uniball micro which I have in black, red, blue, green and have some rare highlighter colors which are either promotional colors (their web site lists promotional colors are available) or copycats (they don't have the brand on them). I just bought the 8 color pack of uniball vision elite.

10. enine

enine Loaded Pockets

Just got my new graph paper and the white does make a nicer crisper line.
    Picked up a set of pens for my son, he likes my rollerball but the tips damage easy. I found my old dried up Pilot Razor from back in the days of labeling floppy disks, they are like a marker but with a finer stronger tip so they write like a pen but don't have the problems of rulers and templates messing up the balls like normal pens.

11. Black Rose

Black Rose Loaded Pockets

In my quest for an EDC notebook, after taking Moleskines out of the running (I'm a cheap SOB) I sought out the small Rhodia lined pads.

The store I went to only carried the 5x5 graph versions and I was skeptical about using graph paper for EDC note taking, but I ended up getting a #11 and a #13 (both graph).

I was pleasantly surprised and am now sold on the graph versions. I like the fact you can write in either direction.

12. Trunkmonkey

Trunkmonkey Loaded Pockets

Either plain or graph paper is my choice for EDC.... I currently pack a write in the rain lined pad and a moleskin plain pad... both are 3x5.