1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

lightweight FAK + need a refresh

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by Ofir_ISR, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Ofir_ISR

Ofir_ISR Loaded Pockets

hi, what do you suggest to include in a FAK for a 2 days backpacking? i need it to be lightweight.
    the path is always close to villages and roads, so if there is an emergency, help will be there soon.

note: this is an emergency FAK, i usually carry with me some pills (headache, stomach problems).

also, i think i need a refresh about basic dressing:
    the England flag, the Russian-something-arterial-tourniquet (the one you use a stick to tighten the knot) and the 2 other dressings with cloth strips (one to be used directly at the wound, and one that can be used as an arterial tourniquet without snapping the bones of the patient).
    is there any video guide about it?

besides of that i remember it all very clear.

p.s
    AHA! the the arterial tourniquet i couldn't remember it's name - it's called in hebrew "the dutch arterial tourniquet", hope it's the same in english.

2. Leemann

Leemann Loaded Pockets

3. JIM

JIM Loaded Pockets

4. Rich

Rich Loaded Pockets

If you're hiking for the first time in a while then: moleskin, moleskin and more moleskin!

You can improvise a bandage, dressing or tourniquet out of a lot of things, but you can't improvise moleskin (well).

Check out this kit while you're at it.

-Rich

5. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

I generally just stick to a basic FAK - wipes, plasters, a few small bandages and so o to cope with minor bumps and scrapes.

The one edit I would make (whatever you are doing, not just here specifically) is that if you know you are going to be doing a lot of certain activities, take a few specific items to deal with the common problems - so a few dressings for blisters if you are going to be on your feet a lot.

6. JIM

JIM Loaded Pockets

That kit you mentioned is full of flaws..

- Kit is 'water-resistant' not WATERPROOF
    - It has an instant cold pack, which generally is regarded as to bulky and heavy for hiking
    - No ACE-wrap for sprains or fractures
    - No basic wound care supplies: gauze pads, gauze bandages, etc. Tegaderm isn't suitable for all wounds!
    - Alcohol prep pads are the worst choice when it comes to first-aid antiseptics..
    - CPR deep in the backcountry? Forget it..
    - Ciproxin, oxycontin Hope you've got scripts for them
    - Only real trauma item is a single quick-clot sponge. Great, how do you secure it onto a wound?

Ow, and moleskin can easily be improvised from pretty much any first aid- or duct tape

7. solocanoe

solocanoe Empty Pockets

well, I'm not gonna beat on anyone's kit too hard -
    AMK's are great to grab and throw in a bag - especially for those who won't go to the trouble of doing their own.
    but...like most things, it's better if you find some things you'd like to carry
    and then search around your "life" to find a container you like to fit your stuff in.
    good luck and enjoy your hike either way!

8. cap6888
    • In Omnia Paratus

cap6888 Loaded Pockets

This is a link to my basic FAK.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F80udzC3bA

If I were going camping, I supplement it with a second pouch (Spec OPs Brand BDU pocket organizer) which has more vacuum packed 4x4s, some vacuum packed Kling, and some triangular bandages. I think that would about cover you. I keep them packed separately since I think they serve two different purposes. The one in the video is more of a boo-boo kit, while the second pouch handles more serious wounds. Depending on what the need is will depend on which pouch is grabbed. Of course, you could just throw them both together in a ziploc bag, or just merge the contents into a bigger pouch. Even by getting a bigger pouch, it still wouldn't take up that much room. Actually, while school shopping with my kids at Walmrt, they got zippered pencil pouches which were actually made of somem pretty heavy material. And at $3 a piece, they would be a good cheap alternative as a FAK case that needs to be a little bigger. (Or they would make great organizational bags to put into bigger bags.)

9. cap6888
    • In Omnia Paratus

cap6888 Loaded Pockets

I got to thinking more about this and re-evaluated my own kit. Since I am getting ready to go on a trip with the family next week, I got to thinking about the "what if" situation if I am away from my home FAK. I put this travel FAK together with the intent of taking it while traveling or camping (just throw it in the ruck). It isn't as lightweight since I have a small bottle of sterile water in it, but I would rather carry that little bit of extra weight and bulk if I were to really need it. Here is a link to the video..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69NofzgWINM

10. ExoticVizonz

ExoticVizonz Empty Pockets

Thanks for the Vid!

11. Rich

Rich Loaded Pockets

JIM,

Agreed, minus the part about the moleskin. As a marathoner I can tell you that there are many ideas for improvised moleskin, but not any that work quite as well as moleskin, at least for me.

My intent was to share someone's design of a kit made for a similar purpose. I think what I appreciated about the kit was that it was built pretty much from the ground up (including the case). I was not trying to suggest it was a comprehensive solution. And there are more than a few things wrong/illegal there!

cap6888 has a much better kit that obviously took some real creative thought.

My own hiking/backpacking kit isn't this comprehensive and does NOT contain a cold pack, quick-clot or any prescription medications like the Wired kit. When I'm hiking/backpacking I carry moleskin, band aids, a couple of 4x4s, a 5x9, a roller gauze, a triangular bandage, and yes, a couple of tegaderms. I usually also have some non-prescription Benadryl and Loratadine and maybe some Naproxen.

Remember that to get into and out of the back country in some parts of the US you are going to be hitting parking lots. For the price of less than an ounce I do have a CPR "key" that's smaller than the one in the Wired kit, and gloves because people are freakin' dirty. But I agree and CPR in the back country is not going to happen if I'm around. That said, people have fallen off of a nearby bouldering hot spot and I could see doing some rescue breathing if their head was smashed in but they had a pulse.