1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Lightweight Budget Fountain Pen Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by thegrouch314, May 3, 2018.

1. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

I'm in the market for a new fountain pen. I prefer a lightweight pen, fine nib and standard cartridge if possible, preferably under about £20 ($35ish).

The one I'm using at the minute is bamboo and the weight is great but it doesn't flow smoothly

2. Stuart Mantel

Stuart Mantel Loaded Pockets

Take a look at the Lamy Safari line. I've used them for years and they have great feel and performance for the price.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

3. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

4. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Jinhao 159. Four whole freedom bucks a pop shipped from china.... you wont find much cheaper or lighter a functioning fountain pen. Pretty colors too, 35 bucks will buy you a color for each day of the week with one left over to gift a friend.

5. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I'll second the suggestion on Lamy Safari. Plus add a different suggestion: Pilot Metropolitan. Here in the US these are priced at $11 ~ $15 on Amazon. Variety of colors. Variety of nibs. Ship with a converter for bottle ink.

Pilot make awesome fountain pen nibs. I've several Pilot pens and frankly: They. Do. NOT. Run. Dry.

If you are seeking a 'fine' nib writing experience either a F nib or a M nib may work for you. I say this because in general Japanese M nibs run more to what US and European pen makers would label as an F. Its a cultural thing; related I think to how ideographic character sets are written on various grades of paper -- I'm generalizing for Japanese, Chinese, and Korean for example.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

6. highlife

highlife Loaded Pockets

By ‘standard cartridge’ do you mean ‘international standard cartridge,’ or just ‘cartridge?’

I say that because Lamy’s and Pilot metros (at least the US versions) and some others use proprietary cartridges. They’re readily available, but not ‘international standard,’ so your choices are limited to the brand’s ink (unless you refill them or a converter with bottled ink).

If you’re Ok with proprietary cartridges, I would suggest a Pilot 78G. They’re inexpensive, but look pretty nice, are VERY lightweight, and write quite fine. You may need to tweak the nib a bit if you get an ‘F’ as they’re typically like an ‘EF’ in other brands. I can’t get a Lamy nib to write EF. I think they may only accept Pilot cartridges though.

I’ll also suggest the Kaweco Sport. They’re light, small, smooth and better built. I think they even take international standard cartridges!

I’ve heard good things about platinum preppy’s but haven’t tried one.

Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moshe ben David and WillAdams like this.
  7. Gogogordy

Gogogordy Loaded Pockets

The Preppy is quite a nice writer....also req a proprietary cartridge though....however some convert it to an eyedropper with a little silicon grease and/or an o-ring..

Moshe ben David likes this.
  8. Kris

Kris Loaded Pockets

Kaweco Sport fits the bill very nicely. I carry one round in my pocket all the time, fits really nicely, writes well and uses Int cartridges. It's also available in a variety of finishes and colours

PragmaticMurphyist likes this.
  9. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@highlife: Yes, the Kaweco Sport series accepts standard (meaning short) international cartridges. There are also some converters available to facilitate bottle ink. Mostly squeeze converters although seems I've read that Monteverde does have a small version of a piston converter that should fit. Haven't tried one.

Only thing about Kaweco that the OP needs to think about is just how fine a nice he may want. They're typical European nibs so I think he'd need to test out a F nib to see if it suits.

I agree with your comments on Pilot. Also @Gogordy comments re the Pilot Preppy. There's also a Pilot Prera which is not very costly and comes with a piston converter IIRC. Amazon has the Prera for $29 ~ $34 depending on trim color. In my experience, every Pilot FP I own writes smoothly and the feed just keeps going as long as there's ink in the cartridge or the converter. No drying out issues.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

10. Gogogordy

Gogogordy Loaded Pockets

There is a Preppy Crystal on the horizon....all of the Preppy, none of the labeling.

11. thegrouch314

I've decided to give the preppy a go. I dislike proprietary cartridges out of principle, as well as convenience, but these are reasonable enough. Not sure what I'll do with 30ish cartridges that don't fit leftover from the pen I'm using atm

12. usk15

usk15 Loaded Pockets

Jinhao 992

13. porkchop

porkchop Loaded Pockets

If you want to use international cartridges with a Platinum fountain pen, Jetpens.com sells a cartridge adapter for just this purpose. Only $2 and you can leave proprietary cartridges behind.

Personally, I have a couple of Platinum Preppy fountain pens one with an Extra Fine 0.2mm nib. I converted it to an inkdropper and use cartridges in the other when I get the urge to splurge with color.

WillAdams and thegrouch314 like this.
  14. thegrouch314

That's good to know, thanks.

porkchop likes this.
  15. qkarl

qkarl Loaded Pockets

I have one of those platinum plaisir/preppy pens and i just use s blunt syringe to refill the cartridge when it's empty. Been using the same cartridge for 3 years now.

porkchop likes this.