1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Lightweight and packable raing jacket (Paclite)?

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by Molly, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Molly

Molly Loaded Pockets

Hello guys,

I'm looking for a lightweight rain jacket that can be carried in the city when the rain comes and could be used outdoors. I'm sticking more to the GoreTex Paclite fabric as a lightweight, packable and highly waterproof membrane.

I want to fit in a ~$150.0 budget and found two possible options so far:

1) Cabela's Rainy River Parka
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-GORE-TEX174-PacLite174-Rainy-River8482-Parka-150-Regular/724148.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Drainy%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26x%3D0%26y%3D0&Ntt=rainy&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

it may be simple cut but it looks like to have all features that one may need in the city or outdoors. If You are not going to Everest :)

2) North Face DIURNAL jacket
    http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/men-39-s-diurnal-paclite-jacket.html

i found it for about $150.0 on eBay... I looks like to have a simple cut too but may be a more attractive option to the Cabela's one...

Maybe someone have experience using two above jackets or can suggest any other options?

Regards, Yuriy.

2. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

The Marmot Precip has treated me well for years.

3. TomWelch

TomWelch Loaded Pockets

Marmot Precip is a wonderful jacket and REI sometimes puts this jacket on sale.

4. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

In fact it already is on sale on REI-outlet.com for $70, down from $100. A very good jacket, and if you treat it right it'll keep you dry for years.

5. Molly

Molly Loaded Pockets

And how this Precip material performs compared with Paclite membrane?

6. stax
    • In Omnia Paratus

stax Loaded Pockets

Check out the LL Bean Stowaway jacket as well. I have the Stowaway and my wife has the Marmot Precip. Both jackets are good performers.

7. thedoover

thedoover Empty Pockets

I too am a fan of the precip but I wouldn't consider it packable like some other rain jackets. it compresses into a 6-7" square pouch I use but packable to me means pocket sized. I'm a 3x, and truly packable rainwear for someone my size is hard to find.

I will backtrack and repeat the other sentiments that the precip is a great rain jacket.

8. hafpit

hafpit Loaded Pockets

Carrot, thanks for the tip. I have been eyeing this jacket for a while, and ordered it at the sale price. BTW, the sale ends today.

9. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

I don't really know the answer to that question. My understanding is that Paclite is Gore's version of the popular 2.5-layer laminate DWR fabrics. I don't think I've ever used Paclite personally. Precip is Marmot's 2.5-layer laminate and as far as I'm concerned it keeps me dry and happy. I don't believe that Gore has the market cornered on good water resistant textiles or else nobody would use anything else.

I consider the Marmot Precip jacket packable. Rolled up it will fit in a cargo pocket and is small and light enough that I NEVER consider traveling without it. I wear a Large. It doesn't really have a lot of features but the hood is well designed, the pit zips and pockets offer sufficient ventilation, keeps you dry and is cheap.

At the kind of prices you can regularly find them it is pretty hard not to recommend. There's pretty much nothing else for $70 this good as far as I've seen. Even at $100 it's fairly priced, although then you have other solid competitors from REI, EMS, and even Patagonia.

10. J4C3

J4C3 Guest

Berghaus extreme Ignite,permaloft and Pertex warm waterproof stwos down to nothing at all,most versatile clothing you can get imho

11. julioroman

julioroman Loaded Pockets

Has anyone used the Columbia Watertight jacket? I've been reading reviews of it on Basspro's website and Dicks Sporting goods. Seems like a good deal at well under 100 bucks.

12. hafpit

hafpit Loaded Pockets

I wore the Precip on a hike through the hills near my house. The rain stopped after 45 minutes, but I left the jacket on for the remaining 40 minutes - this is the coldest July that I can recall! I remembered reading the tip of opening the "pit zips" and pockets to increase ventilation. I did notice some moisture inside of the sleeves during the uphill segment of my walk, but it evaporated on the way home. I am very pleased with the Precip.

13. julioroman

julioroman Loaded Pockets

So yeah, remember that Columbia jacket I mentioned? Columbia's idea of "packable" is quite liberal.