1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Light sticks anyone?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by grayman, Apr 23, 2010.

1. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

So here is what I'm thinking. Depending on your setup, your light is only going to last so long under prolonged use. Now you thinking, "that's why i carry extra batteries." However, flashlights are great for illuminating relatively small areas. What if you are in a situation where you cannot build a fire? Wouldn't it be handy to have a couple quality light sticks in your pack? You'd need to keep them in something to keep them from getting activated.

2. Enkidu
    • In Omnia Paratus

Enkidu Loaded Pockets

I would rather use the space that the "couple quality light sticks" occupy for extra lithium batteries:) my Fenix LD10 runs 36 hours on alkalines,on low mode.
    I guess it runs for 50+ hours on lithiums..

my $0,02.

Edit; why would you want to light a big area?

3. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

Maybe you want to light a room or some enclosed area for an extended amount of time.

For example, you vehicle is out of commission, the weather is nasty, you can't fix it and can't get anyone out to help. You and your passenger(s) has to stick it out in the car. Light stick can give you a decent light source to see what you are doing and/or someone else is doing. They could also be used to mark a location if, for any reason, it is necessary.

4. Mcameron

Mcameron Loaded Pockets

i keep a few glo-sticks in my emergency kit....mainly for when the power goes out.

theyre great for marking trails, illuminating rooms, theyre water proof and theyre cheap so you can toss 'em around without too much worry.....and you can save your flashlight batteries

i mean, for the cost and weight....why not?

5. jsmitty1967
    • In Omnia Paratus

jsmitty1967 Go Big Blue

I have one in the FAK in my car. I have also use them when "caving" in the past. I think they are very handy and take up very little space. Plus if your kid is bored you can always give them one and say "go nuts".

6. Roach

Roach Empty Pockets

that alone would be worth the weight sometimes lol.

The disposable idea is good. I carried a Kriana Krill light on my armor in Iraq, but I would NEVER think about using it to toss down a hole or marking a road with it. I used disposable ones for that. I used the krill for personal area illumination, like inside the MRAP when I was looking for something and didnt want to rape my night sight.

(I have the Original 180* in green)

7. b.licious

b.licious Loaded Pockets

Does anyone know a certain brand that illuminates better? I know theres some "tactical" ones and the kind they sell at the party supply store but is there a difference?

8. Boy SureFire

Boy SureFire May The Bridges I Burn Light The Way

9. sjmack

sjmack Loaded Pockets

With the technology in flashlights enabling long run time nowadays, there are very few situation where I would take a glowstick over, say, a light on 'moonlight' mode that can run for an insane amount of time. For instance, the quark mini 123 can run on its low mode (3 lumens) for 150 hours. Glowsticks thrive in the situations where you need a 'disposable' low light source.

Nonetheless, I don't carry any. I just don't see myself in any situations where I would need them because of my lifestyle.

10. Patriot222

Patriot222 Empty Pockets

Given today's LED technology I'll never touch another lightstick. Besides being very low on the performance to size ratio, they're terribly unreliable and they've let me down on several occasions.

11. Atlas

Atlas Loaded Pockets

i always saw lightsticks as a novelty item..nothing really usefull in emergency situations...people with chemlights get laughed at.

12. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

Here is an interesting read about light sticks.

13. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

Three years ago we had an ice storm that was so bad that the majority of the metro was without power. The lucky people only had to go three days like this. I endured it for a week and I had friends that had to go two weeks. Stores were gutted in a matter of hours leaving no batteries, matches, lamp oil, generators, chainsaws, etc... We realized we weren't prepared for such an extended outage as 4-5 hours was the longest we'd ever gone without power. Fortunately we had two oil lamps that provided some illumination downstairs. Due to their "decorative" nature, you didn't want to try and move them around too much as they were hard to hold onto. Light sticks would have been perfect in the upstairs bathrooms and other rooms of the house as needed since batteries and lamp oil where in short supply.

We also use a closet under the stairs when the tornado sirens blow. Usually the power goes outs when it gets that bad as well. Those light sticks would be perfect to use in that closet under the stairs. That way you can save your batteries for more pressing matters.

14. enki_ck

enki_ck Loaded Pockets

15. Jim Bell

Jim Bell Loaded Pockets

I had a krill light, until the spouse let the dog play with it.

I don't keep light sticks in my daily carry, but there are several in the emergency supplies. I keep them primarily for light the bathrooms during power outages, and in case the New Madrid goes off. I wouldn't hesitate to use a light stick in that kind of a situation, but using a flame or electric light might be contra-indicated in the area that a gas line has been ruptured.

16. Crco

Crco Loaded Pockets

Stop looking at them as flashlight substitutes. Because they fail there.

Where they shine (pardon the pun) is as disposable and suitable light sources that you need for visual marking or signal purposes remote from your body. It's useful that they come in multiple colours in order to match mission-specific colour codes.

So their use is optimal when they ARE NOT IN YOUR HAND.

17. zev

zev Loaded Pockets

Almost bought a two pack of Coleman branded ones at walmart for $2. But then I saw they only have a two-year shelf-life. My emergency food lasts longer than that!

18. eme714

eme714 Loaded Pockets

Thank you... I think chem lights have their place. What if you want to mark your car on the side of the road while you wait for help? Your family stays in the car and you search for a call box or mile marker with your flashlight. Don't you think your family/friends will want a light with them? Mark the car while you are gone? Keep the kid less-scared? Chem light FTW!

Maybe you are in a urban or suburban survival situation and you don't want to let the "unprepared" people know you have a high quality flashlight. People will be desperate to have a light source if the power goes out/building collapses. Give them a light stick and keep your primary good flashlight private. Light a room up for others, while you go search.

Disposable, long-lasting, cheap and replaceable. I keep 1 white, 1 red, and 1 green in my GHB everyday.

They are not a replacement, but they serve many uses.

19. Atlas

Atlas Loaded Pockets

i couldnt find a more pressing matter than a tornado.....

20. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

Since I bought 15 Cyalume chem lights, I cracked on open and threw it in the closet. One is enough in a small area to allow you to see what you're doing, fiddle with a small radio, etc...A ten pack is only $13.50 for 12 hr. chem lights. They also had 5 min., 30 min., and 3 hr. ones available too. They even have IR models.