1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Light for general household chores?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by sveqs, Dec 19, 2010.

1. sveqs

sveqs Loaded Pockets

Hi all,

I am fed up with the cheap, unreliable junk I have been using but do not want to spend a fortune either, especially not on something that I don't need.
    So: I primarily need lights for reading bedtime stories for my sons, and for finding their runaway toys under the furniture ;D
    I won't be using this light for hiking, I need nothing tactical, just a reliable close-range light. I have been set on getting Safe-Lights (Survivor or perhaps Lantern?) but am open to alternatives if you have some suggestions.

Thanks,
    - Greg

2. Detox

Detox Loaded Pockets

Just get a Maglite 2 or 3D LED and call it a day, readily available, bright for your mentioned needs, and affordable.

3. tonester

tonester Loaded Pockets

look into the Maratac AA and AAA. good quality, very affordable, and uses more common battery cells.

4. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

HYBRID SOLAR LITE... very cool and solar. I keep one in the kitchen window. Hopefully this will be the future .

5. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

Based on what you've written...close range, inside applications, I think you would find the AAA Fenix E05 quite satisfactory. It is a 27 or 30 lumen flood light. Fenix has a good reputation, and is affordable @ $17.95. With lithium batteries it will last approximately 5 hours on a single battery, and it's small enough to have in a pocket or on a lanyard all day, everyday. I liked the E05 so much I bought 3 to have around. It is a very usable light, and even does a decent job outside if you don't require a lot of throw. It illuminates a fairly large area for it size, nicely. Pictured second from left.

The Quark Mini Cr2 would also serve admirably. It has a nice low setting that might be useful for reading, and brighter settings for other applications. Also has a nice floody beam, although it has some decent throw too at 45 and 180 lumens if you need it. Comes with a nice lanyard and two batteries for only $28.95 shipped. Pictured first on left.

[​IMG]

6. sveqs

sveqs Loaded Pockets

Thanks guys, that's a lotta good info in short time
    I had previously also considered the Fenix E01 and Led Lenser P2 / P3. Both sounded excellent little lights and there is really no reason why I didn't get them...
    Come to think of it, there is one - these things cost a fortune over here in Hungary. A Maglite 3D Led sells for upwards of 50 dollars, and a P2 would set me back around 35 bucks. The Fenix, probably around 30. Loco, eh?
    So I'll have to get them from the States, but customs regulations means I'll have to stay under 30 dollars shipped to avoid a 25% tax...

But I guess any of these lights could do it for me, thanks a lot again!

-greg

7. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

I agree with the suggestions for a small AAA light. I think even a 2AA Maglight would be too bright for the uses you mentioned. Personally, I use a Fenix E01 or Maratac AAA when we have the grandkids spending the night. Enough light for me to see when checking on them, but subdued enough to keep from waking them.

8. sveqs

sveqs Loaded Pockets

I wonder if there is a reason why no-one is seconding my original choices of PALights?
    Are they considered lowly light-forms? (pretty bad pun, I know...)

9. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

I just looked at the PALights...very interesting. It looks like they would ship free to you, so you could probably get a couple of those at a reasonable price. I may pick up a Survival and Lantern myself. Thanks for the heads up on those!

10. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

11. Black Rose

Black Rose Loaded Pockets

I can't comment on the PALight models you mentioned as I don't have those models.

I recently received a pair of PALight Selectors.

It has 7 levels of ramping output (no disco modes) and works well. There is not much spill though, but for inside use they work well.

12. Death and Taxes

Death and Taxes Empty Pockets

Have you considered using a headlamp instead of a flashlight? I like having both of my hands free when I'm cleaning up after my kids.

13. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

A big +1 to this! I have lots of flashlights, but at home I use a ZebraLight headlamp for everything.

14. sveqs

sveqs Loaded Pockets

Actually my dad uses a headlamp at their house to pick up slugs (yuck) at night, and when my kids saw that they wanted to borrow it and went running around the garden with the light on their head :)
    so yes, I have considered it and it is tremendously useful but I am afraid it might end up turning bedtime into party time... but then again, the magic would be gone in two days and I could just use it normally. Thanks for the suggestion!

15. sveqs

sveqs Loaded Pockets

Thanks Mumbojumboo, I actually like eco-solutions, so that's a good way to go. (One reason I like the PALights is that they run loooong on a 9V cell)
    I haven't checked if Hybrid Lite ships overseas, but your post spurred me to dig up a never-used dynamo light from the closet, and it works... nothing special but runs without batteries, and that's the trick. I'll bookmark Hybrid Lite though, and thanks!

16. 5534

5534 Loaded Pockets

How about a peli vb3
    http://www.pelican.com/lights_detail.php?recordID=2220

Small enough to fit in your pocket. Bright enough to read and look under chairs or light a pitch black room ( the light is diffused and not in a beam)
    The head swivels 180 degrees and the clip is useful to clip to clothing Ect
    Batteries last ages as well

17. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

If you like eco-solutions, get a good AA light and some Eneloop or Duracell white-top rechargeables. They wil get hundreds of cycles before they have to be thrown away. The solar flashlight will, in all likelihood, be thrown away much sooner...

18. sveqs

sveqs Loaded Pockets

I forgot about those
    I always thought they were interesting

19. sveqs

sveqs Loaded Pockets

I have not had good experience with rechargeables, used them in my digit camera for a year or so and by the end they wouldn't hold their juice at all
    Maybe that is the normal lifetime - and certainly more sensible than buying non-rechargeables, but I had enough of getting no more than two dozen flash shots before the batteries were half drained
    (I don't know much about batteries, that's the truth)

20. sveqs

sveqs Loaded Pockets

by the way, jag-engr, that key carry compilation of yours, it's an amazingly useful and inspiring thread, I've always wanted to thank you for that :)