1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

LifeProof Cell Phone Case

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by softaildeuce, Jan 15, 2012.

1. softaildeuce

softaildeuce Empty Pockets

Is anyone using a LifeProof case for your iPhone? If so what are feeling of it? Some reviews I read on the net are good some are not so good. One complaint seems to be a difficulty of plugging in headphones. Thanks.

2. schmoli

schmoli Loaded Pockets

Short review as I'm on my phone right now, but I love it. I don't use it as an edc case as it lowers touch sensitivity a slight bit, but definitely not enough to really bug me. I have no problems with the headphone port cable. Its pretty rugged too, I am taking it on and off about twice a week for hunting and snowboarding.
    Any specific questions?

3. Rabidfox

Rabidfox Loaded Pockets

Let it "cure" and the bubble feel will go away. Speed it up a bit by sucking air out via the upper vents on the face.

I've had one for 8mo and love it...as do my 12 converts ;). Charging is a bit of a challenge but there are a couple cables that'll work.

4. hettingerjm

hettingerjm Loaded Pockets

Its definitely worth it! I just got back from
    Antigua and went snorkeling with it! Recorded video under water. And it's thin. Pretty durable.

5. ty_higg

ty_higg Loaded Pockets

Got mine love it and the touch sensitivity on mine isn't bad at all like the online reviews say but you do notice a slight change but this is just my experience with mine. And mine charges perfect with the standard apple charger that comes with the phone.

6. Barnowl

Barnowl Loaded Pockets

Had mine since January, best case ever. Does what it's says on the tin. Can't wait for them to finally get the iPad version out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

7. H2O

H2O Loaded Pockets

Had mine for about a week,got it as a fathers day present from my wife to be.So far I really like it!I was using a otter box defender and had issues with the charging cover not sealing right on two of them. So far everything the otter box wasn't .

8. theotherphil

theotherphil Loaded Pockets

I've had mine for ages. Only problem is because your phone is completely encased, the noise cancelling mic no longer works and the regular mic struggles to pic up your voice. I've been told many times that the line is bad/ I sound muffled/ sounds like I'm talking underwater.

9. goosefacer
    • In Omnia Paratus

goosefacer EDC Junkie!!!!!

Mine has been awesome - and I've tried a LOT of cases. No problems with the mic though...will have to ask the person on the other end when I get a chance.

You can only charge with the new, smaller power adaptors but lifeproof sells an accessory that lets you use any power cord (I picked this up for use in the car).

10. hettingerjm

hettingerjm Loaded Pockets

Also their website talks about how to fix the noise muffling issue. But if it doesn't fix they generally send you a new one. Other people can hear me fine.

Just make sure if your phone goes underwater you blow into your vents to clear them of water.

11. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Love mine. Accedentally cut the screen with a knife when I was trying to hold to many things in my hand at once. Its a badge of honor now:)

12. Rabidfox

Rabidfox Loaded Pockets

Is it the old style without the button protector things? I think they changed the noise canceling vent. Check your vents for pocket lint too...I had the same problem but there was some belly button lint build-up :lol:

13. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

I just used the headphones and lost the little fob and the socket that holds it on the earphone adapter. Real glad I knew where the extra fob they include was.

14. theotherphil

theotherphil Loaded Pockets

Had a look and sure enough, there's new advice on how to fix that muffled sound. I'll give it a try, thanks! I am way out of warranty so I doubt they'll replace it if it doesn't work.

15. Austin Grimes

Austin Grimes Loaded Pockets

I stuck one on mine a couple of days after I got my iPhone 4s in October. It is fantastic for keeping the phone pristine, and I don't really notice much inconvenience when it comes to touch sensitivity. I do have people tell me all the time that they have trouble hearing me on the other end of a call, however. After my wife put an old iPhone in the washing machine, I don't let my phone leave this case.

I really do dislike the charging port, however. It is designed to accept only the most recent Apple dock connector cables. ANYTHING different has a hard time plugging in, or is impossible to plug in without an adapter. I can't use my flipsync with the case on, and I also can't use my aftermarket component/composite cables to hook up to an external AV receiver unless I have the adapter with me. That is a serious pain, and I find myself taking the case off when I need to use it like that since I never keep the adapter with me.

16. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

I know a guy who used a fatter charger than the case saw designed to for a while ansd he said that it warped the case so bad that he had to use the back from his daughters case as a replacement. The front is black and the back is purple. I think I wold rather buy a new case than have a purple & black one.

17. CanvasNBrass

CanvasNBrass Loaded Pockets

I'm doing a lot of Kayaking now. I might invest in this case as case for outdoor and on the water use only. I was going to get one when I helped upgrade my Mother (Technologically inept old lady, but I love her) to an Android. But the guy at AT&T said they're coming out with an improved version is more colors and that they'd partially discontinue any warranty or guarantees on the older versions. So I'm holding off until the new ones come out.

18. Jamuz

Jamuz Loaded Pockets

Blah, I felt one at Best Buy and they just feel cheap to me. I'm sure they work great, but I would never test it out.

19. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

YOu can only imagine the situations I get into. That little case has saved me from replacing a brand new iPhone twice. (especially since it is a brand new iPhone on the inside) Its those silicone soft & gooshy ones that feel cheap to me.

goosefacer likes this.
  20. chappel

chappel Loaded Pockets

I've had my iPhone 4s in a lifeproof case for about 8 months, and am really happy. I haven't noticed any muffled mic issue, although there is a decrease in touch sensitivity. I put a screen protector on the glass UNDER the lifeproof case (contrary to their recommendations), so the case has a minute air gap over the screen in some places, so you have to press down enough to make contact. It doesn't seem to be much of an issue; maybe I've just gotten used to it. I rarely use the headphones, so having to unscrew the plug doesn't bother me, and I like that the jack isn't collecting pocket lint, so there's a good chance it'll work great when I DO want to use it. I normally charge it in my car during my commute, and the cigarette lighter adapter I got happened to have a 'taller' plug, so it reaches up into the case without an issue. The case itself has saved the phone several times when I've dropped it, or had it slip out of my hand - once I dug it out of my pocket and it flipped down onto the concrete so hard the phone rebooted, but the phone itself is just like new.

My previous iPhone 3Gs was in an OtterBox, which served me well - it's still virtually pristine after several years of hard use. The otterbox was 'gummyer', so it didn't slide around as much (on a dashboard, for example), but it was much tougher to fish out of a pocket. I think the newer otterbox cases are now smoother. The two problems I had with the otterbox were that 1) the lip around the screen was so tall that it made it tough for me to get my fat fingers to the edge of the screen (moving icons between screens was a particular challenge), and 2) the belt holster stuck out so far that it tended to catch on things and send the phone flying, and then finally snap off the belt clip. After I broke my replacement clip in the first 45 minutes I had it I gave up and just stuffed the whole thing in my pocket. I haven't bought the Lifeproof belt clip (yet); I'm still just carrying it in my pocket.

SAKplumber likes this.