1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Lever action rifle suggestions.....

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by DemskeetSkeet, Feb 6, 2009.

1. DemskeetSkeet

DemskeetSkeet Loaded Pockets

Hello there! I've been keeping my eyes out for a spanking deal on a lever action rifle.

I would like something like a .44, .45, and maybe a .40 if I can find one cheap enough.

I was watching the show: The Self Defense on The Outdoor Channel and the host of the show pulled out his lever action rifle that he said he paid $100 for it brand new in the box and it was a winchester. He said he bought it at a gun show and I have one coming up this weekend about 30 minutes from where I live.

My main question is how much would a lever action in a higher caliber run me? I would like it to be Winchester and doesn't have to be brand new but would like it mint.

Anyone have any ideas? Or what have you guys paid for a lever action similar to what I want?

Or another alternative for me would be something new on the market or sold at let's say Gander Mountain, what would be the price on a new model Lever action?

Thanks

Take care
    -Matt

2. Helstar

Helstar Loaded Pockets

I am not sure what all Calibers they have, but I have always liked Henry's. I think they are a good rifle!

3. Sharpdogs

Sharpdogs Uber Prepared

I have a .44 caliber Marlin in stainless steel. I love this gun. The price was $250 plus 200+ rounds of ammo. I threw in some .308 ammo from my side. This was over 5 years ago and prices of guns and ammo have skyrocketed. I doubt I would find this deal again. Winchesters may be a bit more since Winchester has closed its doors. I find the hardest leveraction to find is models in .357, people seem to love them, especially the 16 inch barrel models. I am only guessing here but I would expect to pay $400+. You may be able to find something less since people are selling off a lot of their hunting rifles to fund purchases of firearms that will be affected by future gun bans. If you have revolver in one of the calibers mentioned I would try and a lever action rifle in the same caliber. Good luck, everybody needs one, two, or three, etc. lever actions in their collection. I am hoping to purchase one in .357/38.

4. Rocket Jones

Rocket Jones Empty Pockets

My experience with lever actions is probably way out of date, but I carried a Winchester 30-30 for years and loved it. Wonderful brush gun. My brother had the Marlin lever-action and although it "pointed" better than mine, it was also a couple of pounds heavier, which made a big difference driving dogs up and around the Northern California mountains.

5. Brules

Brules Loaded Pockets

I've owned quite a few lever actions, including Marlins, Winchesters and Henry's. I doubt you'll find a lever action in 357, 44 or 45 for less than $500. The price of Winchesters has skyrocketed in the last few years, which has brought up the price of Marlins. For a 22, the Henry is hard to beat. For 44, 45 or 30-30, I prefer the Winchester.

6. DemskeetSkeet

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I found a 30-30 at a local pawn shop for $200(I'm sure I can get it for around $150 but I just don't like the caliber. I would much rather have a .40, .44, or .45.

I'll just have to keep a keen eye at the classifieds in the newspapers and especially at this gun and knife show starting next weekend.

Thanks for the help, if anyone else wants to voice their opinion the that would be great!

Take care!
    -Matt

7. Phaeton

Phaeton Empty Pockets

Are you trying to match the rifle caliber to a handgun that you have? That is why they make lever actions in pistol calibers. If not, why go for a pistol round? Take advantage of the rifle and get one in a real rifle caliber. .30-.30 is a classic and a very versatile cartridge.

If the rifle in the pawn shop is not shot out or junk, jump on it quickly at that price.

Mark

8. ppfd

ppfd Loaded Pockets

Marlin Guide Gun in .45/70!!!!! My other rifles stay in the safe since I bought this!

9. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

If I could only have one lever-action rifle, this would be it. Though it might be cheaper to feed one in .357, I prefer the .44 Mag.

10. DemskeetSkeet

I was thinking of the .44 mag.

I am going to be getting a glock model 30 this summer which is a .45 that's why I was debating on getting a .45 lever action just to save on the ammo.

I'm not sure, I just like the idea of having somewhere around a .40, .44 mag, or .45 Just can't seem to find hardly any of them. The pawn shop has 3 or 4 lever actions and they are all 30-30's.

How much is 30-30 ammo compared to .40, .44 mag, and .45?

Thanks!

11. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

Dunno about ammo prices, but they're all getting more expensive from what I hear.

I don't think there's a factory-stock lever-action that's chambered for the .45 ACP. Tell you what, though, it'd be cool to see one, wouldn't it?

For what it's worth, a load that performs well in a pistol will perform differently in a carbine, and vice-versa.

12. DemskeetSkeet

Totally agree with you on that, the only lever actions I have shot were in .44 mag, and a browning .22lr

I'll check out that lever action again that is a 30-30. I don't have a huge area to shoot with so I don't like rifle rounds because they will travel farther.

Oh well, I'll see what turns up at the gun show next weekend.

Thanks everyone!

13. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

A suggestion to Marlin Firarms:

Please make a repeating, non-semiautomatic pistol-caliber carbine that accepts removable magazines from commonly-encountered automatic pistols. A pump- or lever-action .45 ACP carbine that accepts standard 1911 magazines would be the bees knees, given the popularity of John Moses Browning's famous pistol. Give it ghost ring sights and an accessory rail for additional optics, as well as several options for stocks, and you'll have a huge hit. Thousands upon thousands of firearms users and enthusiasts will praise you for generations if you consent to this. Please send me the first prototype and I will begin testing immediately.

This is an awesome idea and you should totally do it.

KTHXBYE,

--Lugsalot

14. DemskeetSkeet

Has anyone tried out Puma repeating rifles before? I couldn't find a bargain at the gun and knife show so I may go with a Puma, Marlin, in 44 mag.

Thanks!

Take care
    -Matt

15. kid_couteau

kid_couteau Loaded Pockets

Hi All

It sounds like you want this lever action for self defense

I would suggest the Marlin

the main handgun calibers are 44 magnum and 357 magnum. There are others but these are most popular. Myself I would take the 30-30.

The reason I say the Marlin is because if tou get the right model you can add XS sights and an XS scout rail to it.

The XS sights are a peep sight style and allow you quick acquisition of the target. The scout rail allows mounting of a red dot for fast acquisition. Why both? cause if your red dot goes down you have a set of back up irons.

Add a stock mounted ammo carrier and two point sling and you are ready to go.

Kid

16. yoyosma

yoyosma Loaded Pockets

I've got a model 92 Rossi/EMF blued .45 colt lever action carbine. It's a hot looking gun. Just wish I had gotten a different caliber b/c the ammo has always taken too big a bite out of m'wallet. :doh:

17. DemskeetSkeet

You can buy a reloader! With ammo prices soaring and how easy it is to reload you can't go wrong!

What caliber do you think you should have bought? How is the action on your Rossi?

I'm really thinking about a .44 mag Puma stainless because I like the low maintenance.

Rossi is Marlin is it not?

Sorry not familiar with Rossi.

Thanks for the input

Take care
    -Matt

18. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Rossi is made in Brazil

19. twistedrover

twistedrover Empty Pockets

I have a Puma 454 --I've chronographed 300 grain bullets at 2080 fps from this gun

the puma is just a Winchester 1892 replica

the gun design that is 117 years old has all the bugs worked out it

20. Phaeton

Phaeton Empty Pockets

Virtually all handgun ammunition is in short supply and selling at very high prices. People in the business say that this situation will not get better any time soon and will actually get worse in the near term.

It really does not matter which handgun caliber you bought in a lever action rifle. The story is about the same. 45 Colt is an excellent choice and a classic cartridge.

To me, buying a rifle in a handgun caliber only makes real sense if you also have a handgun in the same caliber. Common ammo in that situation is useful and convenient.

Learning to load your own can help with the cost and availability issues. Also it is fun and very satisfying. 45 Colt is a great cartridge for hand loading. Fairly straight forward with many choices in bullets and powder.

Mark