1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Leveling up

Discussion in 'Knives' started by pathwinder14, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Tegan's Dad
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Tegan's Dad Loaded Pockets

This is the hard part though. For those of us new to EDC (or EDCF), you may think you know exactly what you want only to find different when it shows up. That's the hardest part of all. If you had the experience with various styles, sizes, locks, etc. and lost/damaged your blade and needed replacement, I'm sure you could jump straight to what you really want. For us newbies, it's more of a learning curve ;)

I think it helps to either have friends/family in close proximity with similar interests in gear to find what works for you.

There are a lot of really good points being made in this thread, and it really speaks to the path I've taken in gear. For me, it shows that experience can exceed education/research when it comes to selecting what is best for you. A combination of both is best of all.

wrath0r likes this.
  2. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

TVR? You have a death wish I see. Besides the older 911s , TVRs are the only car that is actively trying to kill you at all times! Lol, and they have their own engines, a straight 6 and a flat plane v8, and have been out of business for a decade... Good luck finding parts! However I too lust over a Sagaris, but will never ever have one... You have good taste!

Darth_Firebolt likes this.
  3. Darth_Firebolt

Darth_Firebolt Loaded Pockets

if the engine goes in the sagaris (the car i also lust over, in tungsten gray), i'll just put a 2jz in it. still a straight 6, can make good power N/A, or can be boosted to the moon! maybe an rb26 if i wanted to go full blasphemer...

see, this goes back to my philosophy. if the exotic engine craps out, i'll put in a fairly mainstream, reliable, easy (and fairly cheap compared to the original) to get parts for, and can make the same or more power. even my ridiculous over the top car would have a toyota engine in it!

Sriracha likes this.
  4. bpeezer

bpeezer Loaded Pockets

I don't think it's a perfect direct comparison for knives though. Take Hinderer for example. Hinderers may be considered pretty high end production knives, but aftermarket parts are readily available, it's a very simple knife that can be easily maintained, and the warranty lasts as long as Rick is alive. Not to mention it can be easily resold to recover all (or almost all) of your original cost.

I guess the point I'm trying to get to is that "exotic" knives require MUCH less of a commitment than exotic vehicles.

5. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

Until I'm a Level 50 Shaman with 50,000,000 rubarbs (or whatever) saved, I doubt I'll spend more than 50-100 per nice knife.

I can do a lot more with a couple hundred bucks than get a new sharp object to do a patchy arm hair shave once a month.

I like using my tools/knives, and it is really hard for me to slam a new knife into the dirt to cut a root. It pains me, literally...

My most expensive knife (BK15) sits on my B.O.B., it is admired and oiled and wiped, that is about it... rofl.

I think the comparison to gaming is novel, because I used to ROT hours away with such frivolity. But not really applicable to everyone's EDC.

For me, it is finding the best all around item(s) for the best price(s), at the best usable quality.

Unagi42 and Darth_Firebolt like this.
  6. Al Effendi

Al Effendi Loaded Pockets

The phrase "you get what you pay for" pops up a lot, but I don't believe it is the case all that often. Like, WTH justifies $400 for a production knife? Even quality materials, construction, and customer service cannot account for that cost. It's status, and I for one will not pay a premium for status. Many will, though, and that keeps the :censored: flowing.

In the guitar world, Gibson is a good example: Lots of good models, some awesome, some crap, and probably every single one that costs over $2,000 could and should sell for half as much. I have $400 guitars that are better sounding and playing than $4,000 Les Pauls I've played. I don't care that when I'm on stage that my off-brand guitar doesn't rate with the hipsters and wannabes. I care that I got something good and didn't pay for status.

My holy grail fixed blade is an ESEE 4. It's worth what it costs, it's designed to be used. Some of my favorites in my collection are my old Beckers. My BK7 cost me something like $50 or $60. New ones are well over $100. There's no innovation happening in that time span, just a business decision, and with so many choices available, should I need a similar knife some day, I will not buy another Becker; I would get an more appropriately priced ESEE, in part to encourage better business practices.

--Al

ManVsLawn and Darth_Firebolt like this.
  7. Darth_Firebolt

i think we all understand a car is more of a commitment than any knife. the point is, what makes a supercar worth 10-50 TIMES more than a regular car, especially when you're just a regular person that drives it to the office in traffic every day. is it 10-50 times better in that role? if you justify owning it by using it exclusively as a track car (which is likely to void your warranty), is it 10-50 times faster than a sport bike?

the same argument applies to grail knives (and everything, really). how much extra are you willing to pay for that name or exclusivity? if you can afford it and you want it; it's your money. but you'll have a hard time convincing me (and a lot of others) the grail knife is 10-20 times better ESPECIALLY in an EDC role in the US for an average person.

8. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

The practical, functional difference between a $20 knife and a $200 knife is bigger than the difference between a $2000 knife and a $200 knife.

9. Darth_Firebolt

thanks for proving my point. :}

MedusaOblongata likes this.
  10. bpeezer

bpeezer Loaded Pockets

It's not always about the name or exclusivity though. For me, the grail knife is one that I can't find a single flaw with. I'm tired of saying "if I designed this knife, I would have done this or that differently."

But what really makes it worth the cost? Every time I use my knife, I get a giant grin on my face. I definitely get 10-20 times more happiness out of my knives than the average person, and THAT is what makes it worth the cost.

11. Nevada

Nevada Loaded Pockets

Without knowing the time span in question, your assertion above is fraught with implications. On the face of it, raising prices is "just a business decision." Of course, it could be the decision to stay in business or not. There's this ugly lit'l phenomena known as "inflation". In 2004 I purchased a brand new Honda ST1300. The 2013 model of the same bike, 99% identical (except color), carried an MSRP 40% higher than the 2004 model year's. While that's an extreme example driven largely by currency fluctuations, it still illustrates the point. Inflation.

I'm not knocking the ESEE, or for that matter, the Beckers. I have neither. Get whatever floats your boat.