1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Lets talk rescue knives...

Discussion in 'Knives' started by phorsaken1, Jul 10, 2009.

1. phorsaken1

phorsaken1 Loaded Pockets

Hey guys first thread! I'm a firefighter/emt and I've decided it's time to invest in a decent rescue knife for work. I had a S&W First Responder, but the punch mechanism was ridiculous, so I sold it. I have since been carrying and el cheapo 12 dollar knockoff rescue knife, but it's definitely time to upgrade. I have my eye on the Gerber Hinderer Rescue, but I can't decide between the regular or the CLS version. I really like the oxygen wrench feature, I just can't decide on the blade style. My mind is not absolutely set on this knife, so I am willing to entertain any other suggestions for a rescue folder in the 75 to 100 dollar range. It must be good steel, at least partially serrated, and have glass breaking capabilities. An oxygen wrench and assisted opening would be a bonus, but not necessary. So, what say you, fellow edcer's? Any and all help is appreciated guys.

2. aguineapig

aguineapig Empty Pockets

Spyderco rescue. I believe those are VG-10 stainless, which is some really good stuff. Also most of the models can be found under 60 bucks.

3. wmcamp0

wmcamp0 Loaded Pockets

:iagree:

I use an Atlantic Salt SE for my rescue blade.

4. phorsaken1

I looked at the Spyderco's , but the model with the glass breaker was about $130. I'm also more of a thumb stud guy, but I LOVE their clips. Thanks guys for the suggestion, though. I will keep it in mind. :)

5. JIM
    • +3 Supporter

JIM Loaded Pockets

My opinion: Don't get a specific rescue-tool, just use the stuff on the engine/ambulance. I would just get a non-serrated folder for your bunker-gear, preferably something that's cheap enough to replace when needed.

6. phorsaken1

Hey Jim, I have a schrade cliphanger on my gear. This knife will be for ems calls mainly for when I'm not wearing gear. My department doesn't like to spend money on EMS, so all our shears are dull and several years old. I also do confined space/high angle rescue hence the need for serrated. My edc Benchmade is plain, which I prefer, but is not practical for work. Thanks for the input, though. It is appreciated.

7. lamepro

lamepro Loaded Pockets

i just had a sog flash 2 rescue edition. partially serrated and assisted opening. aus 8 steel if im not mistaken pretty nice knife. :)

8. greyhound352

greyhound352 Loaded Pockets

Not sure if a fixed blade would work for you, because the forum should be making another Boker order in the future and will probably include the cop tool.
    Here is the link to the store for the Boker Cop Tool

9. Captain. Glock

Captain. Glock Empty Pockets

The sog trident has a rather interesting design that could be used as a rescue blade.

10. phorsaken1

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. While at Academy today I asked to see the Hinderer Rescue. The clerk told me it was on sale. Normal price was 75 and it was on sale for 50. Needless to say I took that as a sign it was meant to be. :) My initial impressions are that it is a well designed knife that is seriously overbuilt. The build quality and attention to detail definitely isn't as good as a BM or a Spydie, but for 50 bucks I didn't expect it to be. So far I feel pretty good about the purchase. The only negative so far is the seatbelt cutter is difficult to deploy. I hope it will loosen some over time. If not, I'll try to loosen the screw. I'll try to put it through its paces and report back on the durability of the knife and the usefulness of the features after some extensive use. Again thanks for all the helpful suggestions guys. This forum rocks! O0

11. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

Have you looked at the Spyderco Assist?

12. DSC

DSC Banned

I think that is the one he is referring to here...

13. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

I see the Assist with glass breaker for only $80.

14. DSC

DSC Banned

Yeah, that's about what I paid for mine, but looking at a few websites I see people trying to sell them retail for $130 or so...

15. towheadedmule

towheadedmule Loaded Pockets

I have both versions of this knife. I like both, but I leave the civilian version in the T-pack and the MIL version in my pocket or EDC bag. (I mostly carry a Benchmade Griptilliion)
    I have used it to pry open storm windows, punched several car windows I didnt have the time to wait on the fire dept to show up. I use the main blade on the civie blade to cut seatbelts, but not the MIL version. I lost the bar for the tools, and Gerber sent one free of charge to me. When I cleaning it I lost one of the screws and Gerber sent one free a charge as well. Its a good knife.

16. deeker

deeker Loaded Pockets

A hefty folder worth looking at, that is designed in the 'rescue' frame of mind, is the Spyderco D'Allara Rescue.
    Mine lives in my SAR pack.

17. Vic303

Vic303 Loaded Pockets

Benchmade 7 hook in the midlength version.
    I carry a Benchmade ERT-1 strapped to the underside of the steering column of the van just in case.
    Then there is this one: Kershaw Zero Tolerance Shroud Cutter Rescue Tool JB2.

18. tadbik

tadbik Empty Pockets

19. greymethod

greymethod Loaded Pockets

+1 on the SAK rescue tool. I handled one the other day and it is one nice piece of kit.

20. thewayofthegun1

thewayofthegun1 Loaded Pockets

I know its out of the price range but i really like the Surefire Delta as a rescue knife.

It has a nice window punch, seat belt cutting blade, wire cutter, wrench grooves in the frame.

Top notch materials: Titanium frame and S30V blade. The designer is Steve Ryan, basically its a Ryan midtech.

The other one I like is the swiss army rescue tool. It has some nice features but not overbuilt like the delta.

FWIW.. You could always buy a boker rescue tool and a manix 2 for a little over $100 bucks. The boker (about 30 bucks) has a seatbelt cutter, window punch, screwdriver and winodw punch. For 30 bucks, if it breaks you could always replace it. Save your Manix 2 for doing what it does best.... Cutting.

Just my .02

Godspeed

Richie