1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Lets talk coffee! Roasting, Brewing, EDC, ...

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by Kripto, Feb 7, 2014.

1. hunter s gatherer
    • In Omnia Paratus

hunter s gatherer EDC Junkie!!!

Right Left Coaster! Actually I think I could show you a good time here in the Triangle. We don't have a coffee convention yet, but one of the World Beer Fests is here in April. (Tickets on sale now.)

Kripto and scbubba like this.
  2. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

That's one wagon I'm not falling off of. My boss had a stroke at his desk that day after drinking a whole pot. In CPR class the dummies are clean and dry. Not so in real life. I can't drink coffee since. Plus I carry a mouth dam everywhere I go.

Sent by Owl Post

3. snowkiwi
    • In Omnia Paratus

snowkiwi EDC Junkiwi

Im seriously going to go through this thread. thanks for starting it @Krypto

Probably just start with one of my cast iron fry-pans on the side burner outside and see what happens. It'll be fun giving it a try.

Kripto likes this.
  4. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

Just know that you will have to constantly stir the beans in the pan. They have to move continuously.

Also, they need to cool rapidly to stop the roast or you need to coast by taking them off the heat earlier than you think you will need to.

Either way you really can't go wrong. :)

snowkiwi likes this.
  5. hunter s gatherer
    • In Omnia Paratus

hunter s gatherer EDC Junkie!!!

Has anyone taken a look at the RK Drum roasters? Simple adaptation of spit roasting on your gas grill. I would think the variability of btus on different grills might be a prob. Plus there is not a way to view roast progress, only hear it. Folks seem to like it though.

scbubba likes this.
  6. scbubba
    • In Omnia Paratus

scbubba Loaded Pockets

I looked at it briefly a while back but, like you, figured it was too variable. Not that I have real consistency with my Whirly Pop (Hey, I do pretty good!).

Might be worth looking at again now that I know more about the whole process. Could be a good way to play around with the roasting profile if you grill has multiple burners (mine does).

Kripto likes this.
  7. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

I invested in a coffee grinder and a pod maker yesterday. In fact, I just finished making a batch of Jamaican Blue Mountain pods to take to work tomorrow. I got everything cleaned up last night and this morning I ground up some 100% Kona and some Blue Mountain. Made a couple test pods and had a delightful cup of Kona coffee this morning while I watched the thunder snow shower.

scbubba likes this.
  8. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

9. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

Update : I'm officially roasting coffee (1 to 3 pounds per week) :) Yes, I'm going through that much coffee. :)
    Very little has changed by way of preparation on the road, I still use the Aeropress, but at home, I use a Hario V60 pour over.
    IMG_3625.JPG

thePlumbah, scbubba and cowsmilk like this.
  10. scbubba
    • In Omnia Paratus

scbubba Loaded Pockets

Sweet! What kind are you roasting? What method of roasting and what type of roast are you doing?

We need details!!! :D

11. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

I just roasted a pound of Guatemala Chimaltenango La Pampa Gesha. Roasted to about a Full City (pulled it after first crack) .. I'm using a Behmor 1600+ roaster. :)

thePlumbah and scbubba like this.
  12. scbubba
    • In Omnia Paratus

scbubba Loaded Pockets

Nice!!! I'm still doing it old school with the hand crank roaster. Full City is my preferred roast for most beans I get. I went a little darker with the Sumatra I had. Getting some more of it soon along with some Mexican Chiappas.

13. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

I need a good Gaut supplier. Wifey & I both love the Guat, but my fav roastery is always out.
    Where do you get your's Kripto?

scbubba likes this.
  14. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

I get the green beans from Sweet Marias, the Coffee Project, or the Green Bean Buying Club.. Most comes from Sweet Marias as their green bean quality is amazing

thePlumbah and scbubba like this.
  15. scbubba
    • In Omnia Paratus

scbubba Loaded Pockets

+1+ on the Sweet Marias supply.

I'm fortunate to live in a port city that has a couple of coffee importers/purveyors. I and a few friends go in to buy bulk (60 & 70kg burlap sacks) so we get incredible per pound prices for green beans. I haven't gotten Guat in a year or so but I gotta say I do like it and it's pretty easy to roast.

thePlumbah and Kripto like this.
  16. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

That's essentially what SweetMarias does.. They run the coffee shrub site which is a supply for commercial roasters and the smaller batches go to SweetMarias. :)

I live in a port city as well and we're a very BIG buyer of coffee :) I can order <10 pounds of coffee and have it shipped over night for <$7 from them.. It helps that they are directly across the bay from me. :)

scbubba likes this.
  17. scbubba
    • In Omnia Paratus

scbubba Loaded Pockets

That's pretty cool. Shipping kills the cost for sweet Marias for me (East Coast and all). I can get my green between $4 and $7 per lb depending on the type & grade.

I wish I could get some of the sweet Marias stuff as cheap.

thePlumbah and Kripto like this.