1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Let's See Your Minimalist EDC Carry

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Brtsmpsn, Feb 25, 2014.

1. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I like the L-M-H UI just fine.

However, my first Lumintop was one of the titanium ones with a M-L-H sequence. It was actually pretty handy, and I found that I usually use medium anyway.

FiaOlleDog, ccwaters and Tony Sal like this.
  2. Doc18

Doc18 Loaded Pockets

Glock 43
    Suunto Core
    Gerber DIME
    Protac 1L
    DPX HEST/Frankenstein Urban Triple Night
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

Right now really min for summer- slim wallet and key ring.
    Can be changed to a $20, a Sak and house key!

#1603 Tony Sal, Jul 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  4. crwoody

crwoody Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Not sure if this qualifies as minimalist... it sure is compared to other carries I’ve had through the years!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tallboyjim and Tony Sal like this.
  5. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

What, no phone? ;)

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

Tony Sal likes this.
  6. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

Nope! No need, el Wife knows where I am, where I am is where I'm supposed to be !

Rfpd29, Fishin Fool, karlito and 2 others like this.
  7. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

+1 on no phone. One of the reasons I retired was so I didn't have to be on the phone all day. I have one, but it's mostly a paper weight. If I go far out of town, I'll grab it, but that's not an everyday occurrence. I do carry a mini-pen in the wallet and a cut to fit mini-pad. The rest is keys, knife and AAA flashlight--the latter two get more use than anything else, day-to-day.

Fishin Fool, ran23 and Tony Sal like this.
  8. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

Which make of mini pen sir?

9. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

In the wallet it's a Zebra T-3. I frequently pop my Machine Era field mini (uses D-1 refill) into my pocket if I'm going out & know in advance I might be signing something. The T-3 is always in the wallet, but not primary. I wear shorts and pocket tee's most of the time (Texas in the summer), and sometimes I wear a plain tee, so pens get carried in LF pocket. For that reason, I always use a compact type pen or "pocket pen"--meaning 4" approx. Just a personal decision based on what I like to wear.

Rfpd29 and Tony Sal like this.
  10. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

Thanks Texas T! I have 2 good old small Space Pens but I dont consider them EDC, reminds me of work. Lol
    My SAK has a pen incase I need to jot something down...

Rfpd29 likes this.
  11. Moshe ben David

@Tesla and @Tony Sal: I can relate to the sense of freedom of not having to be on the phone at all hours...I've been in 'forced' retirement { ;) } since the 'financial recession'... and I've become accustomed to not being on an electronic tether. However.... (a) for most of that time the wife worked out of state (NYC believe it or not!) and only since the 'plague' hit has moved back down here to Virginia to work from home. Needed to be able to be in touch. (b) son's career took him to Chicagoland shortly after college and its just good to be reachable...

So I have continued to carry my antique LG analog flip phone. Which, being on Verizon, means I am connected better than most. Mostly though, I learned long ago that Professor Murphy loves to throw curveballs and I like having a phone for unexpected things...

Re pocket pens. I am also a fan of Fisher space pens. But I stopped carrying the classic 'bullet' some time back. I have a Fisher Telescoping pen. Same refill. No need to be concerned where is the cap. I have a slim leather sheath (originally for Kaweco) that holds said pen and a Streamlight Microstream; both are nice to have at hand in my LF pocket.

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

#1611 Moshe ben David, Jul 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    That Movie Guy and Tony Sal like this.
  12. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I carried a Fisher Space Pen for years, but kept losing them. The $20~25 replacement cost started hurting a bit, so I got a Zebra SL-F1 telescoping pen and will never go back! The Zebra writes better, has a better clip, is more compact, and only costs $3~4.

parnass, jackknife and Tony Sal like this.
  13. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

Zebra pens are great writing tools!!!!!

By the same token, I' ve always thought that the space pen thing was vastly over rated.

14. Moshe ben David

Depends on your use case. The thing about writing upside down is rarely of consequence to me... if ever ;).

On the other hand, the ability to hold a document of some sort against a vertical wall and write is often just convenient.

Finally, I found years ago that an average pen left in the car was asking for trouble. In winter ink basically got so viscous it wouldn't write. In summer, in a hot car, any folder, pouch, etc., in which said pen resided was likely to get treated to ink leakage. Neither problem has EVER shown up in a pen with a Fisher space pen cartridge installed.

Read that carefully: I use the Fisher bp refills in all manner of pens; especially pens that accept Parker style refills, as well of course as actual Fisher pens. I am generally much more interested in the refill(s) that can be used than the pen body once I've acquired the pen in the first place...

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

15. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

I've never had a real issue holding a document against a wall & writing...upside down might be different, but that would be a rarity in the real world. I gave up on the "bullet" Space Pen because it will not tolerate being left in a car in Texas (summer). It will come apart due to the spring & the different coefficient of expansion between the brass insert and the plastic barrel. It's an okay pen to carry in a pocket if you can live with the subpar writing of the Space Refill. I couldn't live with either aspect for my use, so gave it to one of my boys. The original Astronaut pen or the click-o-matic are both fine, if you really think you need to write upside down in the rain. FWIW, it gets VERY hot here in Texas in the summer and I've yet to have a pen cartridge leak in the car...maybe I'm just extremely lucky, but if you're going to test high heat conditions, Texas, southern New Mexico, and Arizona would be ground zero...:cool:

jackknife and Tony Sal like this.
  16. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

Big Bullet Space Pen fan here. I edc one. I’ve also lost and had to replace at least 4 or 5 of them through the years. Sometimes I get lucky and find one that I thought I was lost. Unfortunately I’ve usually bought another by that time. Because of that I have 4 of them right now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#1616 dmattaponi, Jul 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
    Moshe ben David and Tony Sal like this.
  17. Moshe ben David

Yeah, I knew Texas and neighboring states get incredibly hot. Here in Virginia it can -- we're in the midst of a heat wave these couple of weeks. Even with usual summer heat here I've had far too many 'regular' bp refills decide to leak.

Have to admit I don't follow you on the 'bullet' Space Pen. Plastic barrel? Maybe I've overlooked something but I'm pretty sure the bullet - the two piece pocket pen - doesn't have a plastic barrel? At least none I have do.

Totally agree the medium point Fisher refills tend to blobby... OTOH, the fine point, especially the blue fine point does not have this behavior.

Hey let's face it. We're talking bp pens. Not the finest of writing instruments in general.

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

18. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

I may have assumed it was plastic (barrel was black), but whatever it is, I have firsthand experience with them coming apart due to heat expansion. With you on BP's not being top of the writing food chain.

#1618 Tesla, Jul 19, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
    Moshe ben David and Tony Sal like this.
  19. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

Yeah, definitely no plastic on the bullet space pen. Pretty sure it’s all brass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

20. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

I know it gets hot as all h--- here in Texas in July and August, but I've never had any problems with the two Bic pens in my cars glove box. They write every time and haven't leaked. Bic pens have served me all my life and I have no complaints. I love Bic products, lighters, razors, pens.

I think a lot of people go for the snob appeal with pens, knives, watches and whatever.

Tony Sal, aicolainen and Tesla like this.