1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Lets see those TAD Packs

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Flexxx, Dec 1, 2011.

1. tandem

tandem Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Myrddraal

Myrddraal Loaded Pockets

The foliage EDC's were on sale yesterday, so I pulled the trigger and ordered one with a sterile transporter tail. How are you guys liking the new gen EDC? I carry a laptop everywhere, so I'm excited about the roll-top compartment, but I think I'll miss the pocket that used to be on the front behind the tail. Has anyone found a waist belt that works with the current gen bags?

3. Ken Watson

Ken Watson Loaded Pockets

I like mine, but I don't carry it a whole lot. The biggest thing for me is its a bit of an in between sort of size. If you can get along with the size it's a pretty good bag.
    What I mean is that it's pretty big for an office/edc bag, but kinda small for travel or hiking. Just depends on your use case.
    The kifaru omnibelt is reported to work well, I am also betting the Prometheus design works belt for the shado would work too. Although the pack is 22", it's designed to carry high like a goruck, so how well you can make a waistbelt work will depend a bit on your torso length I suspect.

I wish they made this exact bag scaled down to the litespeed size. A litespeed with a toll top laptop compartment and side pockets would be a ridiculously awesome pack.

Graywolf.dv and Myrddraal like this.
  4. gearheavy

gearheavy Loaded Pockets

Congrats on your new pack. I always thought the FAST Pack EDC to be one of the best looking packs in the 30L range. I eventually gifted mine because I found it too large, too heavy, and a little lacking in internal organization for my urban and day hiking EDC needs. But that's just me, and I still sometimes think of buying another.

I have a friend who is assigned to field operations in Africa for months at a time as a United Nations Peace Keeper. For him, the FAST Pack EDC is perfect. He works in rugged conditions and has to carry a Jet Boil, water, water purification system, first aid, ammunition, food, GPS, radio, sat. phone, etc. every single day in the field. I think this is exactly the kind of use the EDC was designed for. Other brands call this class of pack a 3 Day Assault pack, which I think much better describes the FAST Pack EDC.

Regarding the weight, its dry weight is 4.5 lbs.. Add to it a padded hip belt, control panel, OP1 Admin pouch, and hydration reservoir, and now you got about 6 lbs of pack...EMPTY...that's just too heavy for me. At least that's how I had to have my EDC rigged to meet my needs. Where I hike in Yosemite and other California trails, it's often very hot. Perhaps it's just psychosomatic, but virtually cloudless days with the intense sun beating on me just makes my EDC feel like it weighs even more.

I like Ken Watson's idea of a scaled down version to a Litespeed size.

Last edited by gearheavy, Feb 22, 2017
    #1264 gearheavy, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    Myrddraal and RED-FIVE like this.
  5. Myrddraal

Myrddraal Loaded Pockets

I ended up sending it back. The roll-top pocket was way too small for my laptop, which made the pack useless to me. The quality just didn't seem to be there, either. The first gen EDC I bought from them just exuded quality. This one, not so much. The material seemed very thin, and the stitching for the molle webbing was causing small holes in the surrounding nylon.

6. slivver71

slivver71 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My current summer work bag.

Jordan Smeenge and dmwhiteman like this.
  7. Brit1664

Brit1664 Loaded Pockets

My Tad collection. 2 new style litespeeds (multicam & coyottee brown) and old version EDC (black). [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Nice bags but started to fall out of love with them due to too many straps, too heavy with extra puches with not enough space inside. The loss of the rear hydration/laptop zip compartment and replacing it with the admin pannel is usking up too much space. I use the brown litespeed for running to my sports clubs and the multicam one for big endurance walks. All 3 of these bags have completed a 42 mile load carry across rough terrain on Yorkshire Moors and both litespeed have been used on recent ski trips. They are tough but just a bit over complicated and cramped.

So I plan to abandon them and replace them with my other trusted bag series Goruck. I have a tested set up in my old EDC GR1 and run with heavy loads for many miles.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I've ordered a multicam GR1 and plan to strip many of the pouches off my litespeed to use as my new hiking, running bag. I still love Tad stuff but I have found combining a few Tad pouches with a ITS Tactical tall boy trauma kit in a goruck bag with source bladder makes the best combination. Tad will be still taking a lot of my money on their jackets and AC bottoms but the combination of a TAD bag full of TAD piouches just becomes a mess. I plan to keep my stripped down multicam litespeed , this is where I believe the bag works best with its beaver tail.

THX2008, gearheavy and slivver71 like this.
  8. TacticoolMike

TacticoolMike Loaded Pockets

Let's talk about the new Ranger Green webbing option on the new Spectre pack. Great color. Really hoping they have some matching cordura and make it in the Litespeed and EDC. I'll buy everything they have in that color.

Graywolf.dv likes this.
  9. dmwhiteman

dmwhiteman Loaded Pockets

After being a huge TAD follower for about 5 years, I finally have a litespeed. Needed to be the right time (and have them be in stock) for me to make the purchase. After about 2 weeks now, I think I have it where I want it. I love the internal space and shape. The fit is excellent and quality is uncomparible.[​IMG]

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

10. Ghostbear68

Ghostbear68 Loaded Pockets

The brown truck just showed up today and dropped this off.
    [​IMG]

11. Journo

Journo Loaded Pockets

What colour is that one? Looking good though, will be interested to see it set up.

12. Ghostbear68

Ghostbear68 Loaded Pockets

All pieces are black. Light is coming in from window throwing off shade.

13. freeriderth

freeriderth Empty Pockets

hi folks,

since a couple month I read in this forum and now i have to ask you something...

i like the tad bags, and i decide to buy one of the litespeeds. in europe it cost a lot of money (400€) but in the states it is much cheaper... my next vacation goes to Fort Lauderdale (at this point i wish the folks much mental strength to overcome the devastation of hurricane irma!) i know TAD has two shops in San Francisco but i can´t find one in Fort Lauderdale.

can someone help me to find a distributor of TAD- gear?

thank you!

free

14. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

TAD does not have a US distributor network to my knowledge. They are rumored to be opening a Colorado store but that doesn't help you much in Florida.

Probably your best bet would be to purchase the bag and have it shipped to a location in Florida near where you plan to visit.

15. freeriderth

freeriderth Empty Pockets

Thank you for your answer. Is it possible to find something in a military/hunting- shop?

16. UsubM

UsubM Loaded Pockets

Does anyone know if TAD will repair their products? One of the major seams at the top of my Gen 1 Litespeed (where the main zipper is connected right by one of the fastex buckles) started coming undone. The pack is about 5-6 years old and has been through a lot of :censored:.

17. slivver71

slivver71 Loaded Pockets

I’d contact them and see. I contacted them about getting 1/2 of my chest strap and was told they don’t carry individual parts for packs. But as far as repair, it’s worth a shot .

18. tandem

tandem Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

slivver71 likes this.
  19. slivver71

slivver71 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mistah_Kurtz likes this.
  20. Robotrogue

Robotrogue Loaded Pockets

Just ordered my Fastpack Litespeed... can't wait. (Sadly shipping to Canada cost 1/5th the price of the bag...)

Jordan Smeenge likes this.