1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Lets see those TAD Packs

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Flexxx, Dec 1, 2011.

1. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

I don't own either of those, but I love my litespeed. It really does feel more like putting on a lopsided vest than a backpack.

Just going by pictures, it seems like it has more of an admin section than the gr1 (it isn't in any of the official pictures, but it's there and pretty good), plus more molle if that's your thing.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

bigfoot likes this.
  2. Cprrckwlf

Cprrckwlf Loaded Pockets

Look, the GR1 and the Litespeed are about the same pack: About the same size. About the same dimensions. Even about the same weight. Both are made primarily from 1000 denier cordura. Both are 1 primary compartment clamshell opening backpacks.

But they are about the same pack made with 2 very different design philosophies. Almost like 2 independent civilizations were both given the same description of a problem and then worked in complete isolation to come up with a solution. Like an episode of the old show Junkyard Wars, or like the US and Russian space programs.

The GR1 is about minimalism. It's a "this is what we've encountered in the past and here is the bare minimum we need to get through it" kind of idea. We need a little MOLLE, not much!, just in case. Here's a small panel for ID. Ok, we sometimes need to separate things we'll move the laptop out to a different area, add a couple of zip pockets. We're good. Oh, yeah, padding is nice. Here's a little. We don't need much. Great now lets overbuild the hell out of the thing.

The Litespeed is about adaptability. It's a "we don't know what we are going to encounter so let's cover all the basis we can and then make sure we can adjust as we need to" kind of idea. MOLLE? I love MOLLE. Patches? Hell yeah! Compartments? Sure! We'll keep the big stuff inside, add zip pockets and admin. Hey, what, if we need to carry things in the bag that don't even fit in the bag? Transporter tail, top-cord and high-5s all around! Padding? Padding is great and wait till you see what I can do to shape it on a shoulder strap! Great now lets overbuild the hell out of the things and then build a huge number of panels, pouches, garbage bags (RDDPs ;-) ) and sheaths for it.

Both philosophies have pros and both have cons. The question is which suits you. I'm a Litespeed -- actually, I'm 2 Litespeeds I decided not to give up my v1 when I got my v2. I appreciate what GoRuck does, I love their gym bags for certain somewhat static uses (like the bag of spare clothes and things I keep in my car), but for my EDC grab-and-go configure on-the-fly backpack TAD is what works for me.

You said you love the GR1, if that's what works for you then awesome! You and I are lucky -- there are plenty of guys here who go through a bag a day and never find what they are looking for. But if that's working for you then the ultimate, direct answer to your question, "what can the Litespeed add?", is: For you? Not much.

3. cbthedookie

cbthedookie Loaded Pockets

Or you can be like me, and like them both, and refuse to choose...

I have a gr0 for work, and both a gr1 and fp-ls (and I occasionally use a Moab10 sling) for "not work". If I were forced to get rid of a goruck or my tad, I'd have to keep the gorucks, almost solely due to laptop area. Despite cp1, I still can't get comfortable with carrying laptop and/or iPad given limited padding and not-so-great ease of access.

But I don't have to choose, so using fp-ls as primary bag around town/edc for time being. I'm finding I'm increasingly using molle, especially interior - suspending pouches, clipping a light or knife, mounting a sheath, attaching things with a carabiner - so starting to carry things differently now that I have the tad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cprrckwlf and bigfoot like this.
  4. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

Last edited by bigfoot, Feb 4, 2016
    hawkeye180 and moostapha like this.
  5. World in Transition

World in Transition Loaded Pockets

I thought I’d share how I mount my OP1 to my Litespeed - I’m using two Grimlocks mounted to the molle under the beavertail - It's great because I can quickly swap it out with another OP1 or GPP2 with different contents. I find it it especially useful when travelling as I can put all my flight unfriendly bits in OP1 and chuck it in my check-in at the airport, then I replace it with a GPP2 with all my flight comfort and entertainment goodies inside. It is only attached at the top but held in-place securely by the beavertail. I also use the same setup on my Geigerrig Tactical 700 so I can interchange setups between the two with ease. :censored: I love this gear. Life upgrade.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

THX2008, Bowman1911, Isla TX and 2 others like this.
  6. TacticoolMike

TacticoolMike Loaded Pockets

I'd really be interested if they release a pack in a true green color (not foliage). Has anyone heard of any such plans?

7. Tnev123

Tnev123 Loaded Pockets

8. Mingecutter

Mingecutter Empty Pockets

My Litespeed v2 edc setup

[​IMG]

gear_queer, Weej, Krellh and 2 others like this.
  9. Krellh

Krellh Loaded Pockets

Where can I get that vegvisir-patch? I´m thinking of getting a vegvisir-rune as a tattoo, and a patch would be a good start....and it would match my arm later on :)

Weej likes this.
  10. Mingecutter

Mingecutter Empty Pockets

Prometheus Design Werx

Weej and Krellh like this.
  11. gear_queer

gear_queer Loaded Pockets

More terrific taste.

12. Fisher_man_matt

Fisher_man_matt Empty Pockets

[​IMG]

Here's a shot of my Fastpack EDC. I don't carry a lot of stuff in the pack on a daily basis. Mainly gym clothes in the main compartment, lunch strapped in the tail and office essentials in the top pocket. Working in an engineering office I have to transport a lot of rolled plans. The pack really excellcels in that. I'll pack my laptop and portfolio in the main compartment, one roll of plans on the bottom straps and up to two more in the tail. The belt really helps take the load off my shoulders when packed and the load lifters make carrying the heavily loaded pack comfortable.

13. TacticoolMike

TacticoolMike Loaded Pockets

Does anyone know if TAD will be releasing a belt for the LS v2? I know a 1350 cu in pack really wouldn't (shouldn't?) need one but it'd be nice for more pockets/water bottle holders when hiking. Thanks!

14. gearheavy

gearheavy Loaded Pockets

Rumor says it's in the plans, but I've heard that almost a year ago, so given TAD's product development cycle we might hear something more concrete in about another year or so :giggle: But seriously, I've been waiting too.

BERSERKER101 likes this.
  15. UsubM

UsubM Loaded Pockets

I've been away from these forums for a little while, but I took my Litespeed V1 out in the backcountry of the Wichita Mountains today and got some pictures.

It really is the perfect size for a dayhike and is bombproof enough to be thrown around the coarse granite rock so I could scramble down a cliff or two

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. edjo69

edjo69 EDC Junkie

I was going to get a V1 LS at the start of the summer, I called and they where in the process of finishing up the V2 and the wait was about 2 months. So I got an ASAP instead. I would like to hear peoples opinions on the V1 vs. the V2?

17. Bowman1911

Bowman1911 EDC Mechanic

Well, after a LOT of searching, I'm thinking a TAD EDC will be my next bag in about 2 months. Anybody able to talk me out of it?

343KD and Jarhead Greasemonkey like this.
  18. gear_queer

Get it. I've edc' mine for a month now and could not love it more. I never liked the v1, and was pumped when I saw the v2 set up.

Bowman1911 likes this.
  19. Bowman1911

Bowman1911 EDC Mechanic

@geer_queer Appreciate the reply bro! I absolutely hate pack shopping, and I tried, I mean I really tried to find a cheaper alternative, but every time I keep coming back to the edc. It just has everything I'm looking for! It all boils down to wanting an edc pack, that is comparable to my Eberlestock. My bonus comes in on the 23rd. I just hope coyote is still in stock then!

20. gear_queer