1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Let's See the S&W M&Ps, Cousin Shield Counts Too

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Smoky Mountain, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Bimmer
    • In Omnia Paratus

Bimmer Loaded Pockets

So I'm curious about something. I have never shot an M&P handgun (I do own an M&P 15-22), but was looking at them when I bought my new Sig a couple weeks ago. Something about that trigger just doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy. It just looks like it would be an awkward trigger pull with the bottom half hinging and moving before the top half. Does it take some getting used to, or am I just over-thinking this when I look at that trigger?

2. rmodel65

rmodel65 Empty Pockets

the trigger is a common complaint..Apex tactical will cure all the trigger problems though

3. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

I have a M&P15-22
    Love this gun so much, cheap and fun to shoot (yes, I know the current pricing, but it'll come back around, plus I scored 1050 rounds of 22lr for 4c a round this weekend!)

[​IMG]

4. Rocket2012

Rocket2012 Loaded Pockets

Of course. For starters UNLOAD AND FIELD STRIP YOUR GUN. REMOVE ALL AMMO FROM WORK SPACE.

First off make sure you have a few hours of time alone. Interuptions and distractions can make a mess of things.
    All you need is a basic soldering or wood burning kit. I just picked up a weller wood burnig kit from home depot that came with a dozen or so tips. I used the finnest/smallest tip in the kit.

Decide what pattern and where exactly you want to texture. Be absolutely sure. When in doubt leave an area un touched because you can always go back to it but you cannot undo it.

Take a few breaks and take your time. I like to break it up into parts.

First make a basic outline with masking tape.
    Then carefully start the borders. Its tempting to go fast but the borders are critical.
    I usually do one side. Take a rest then do the other side. Then i border in the reference spots. I leave the backstraps for last because they are a softer material and you wanna make sure you have a good feel going when you start them.

Once you have your borders set take another break and look carefully at the lines. Make sure they are how you want them.

If everything is all good from there then just start filling in the blank spots within the borders. Again, take your time and take some breaks.

Also something very important to note. The polymer on the m&p is a little different than glocks. So it tends to react differently to heat. Take and empty mag and put it in the magwel. This will help keep the grip panels from warping. Frequently eject the mag a few times to make sure it falls free. Also check it for heat. If the mag is getting warm at all, take a break and allow the polymer to cool down.

Once you have everything filled in(if you took your time you should be into this about 4-5 hours) walk away from the gun for a bit then come back with fresh eyes to check over your work. Fill in any voids and as a final note lightly buff it with a scotch pad to remove excess burs.

Thats about it. Again some notes are.

Take your time
    Take lots of breaks.
    Keep a mag inserted and check it feequently for heat
    I like to field strip it so its lighter to work with and also it introduces an extra level of safety in the even a loaded mag gets inserted. ( But we should be keeping ammo away from our work space anyway)

Thats about it.
    P.m me if you have more questions. I will try and do a formal write up on it in its own thread.

5. pathfinder3

pathfinder3 Loaded Pockets

I recently dropped an Apex Forward Set Sear (FSS) trigger into mine and it really does make a world of difference! It's like firing a completely and a lot better weapon!!

6. goody6691

goody6691 Empty Pockets

[​IMG]

my new pro 9mm 5in with tlr1, my first handgun. ive put 500 rds through it already. going to get a 9c next

twodog likes this.
  7. fourxfour

fourxfour Loaded Pockets

I'm currently infatuated with my Shield. So far I've added Ameriglo all black sights, Apex Trigger and my buddy stippled the grip for me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My first M&P...
    [​IMG]
    I still do carry it a lot. I added VZ grips after my crimson trace tore. I have an APEX kit, just never got around to installing it.

SAKplumber likes this.
  8. Joeprez

Joeprez Loaded Pockets

Also in love with my Shield, so much that I'm considering selling my GLock 17 for a M&P 9 or M&P Pro.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Melders

Melders Loaded Pockets

10. PaBushcrafter4659

PaBushcrafter4659 Loaded Pockets