1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Letherman Juice S2 or Skeletool ?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by CptCrookedEye, Sep 15, 2009.

?

Please Vote

1. Juice S2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Skeletool

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. nbmaine2007

nbmaine2007 Loaded Pockets

I've gone away from both the Juice and the Skeletool and I now pocket carry my Wave with a clip. I found that the Skeletool was too limited, and as others have said isn't exactly unnoticeable when pocket-clipped. And the size difference from the Juice to Wave was worth it given how much more tool the Wave is.

2. JN

JN Loaded Pockets

For those who find it difficult to carry the S2, back when I was EDC the S2, all my working pants have a "coin pocket" hidden in the waist. They are just big enough for the S2 and you don't really notice the S2 as it rests suspended somewhere around the middle of the normal pant pockets. If the pants do not have a "coin pocket", I sent them to the tailor. Actually, I made 2 "coin pockets" then so I can hide my pager in the other one, well back in those days when I was still carring a pager and the S2 as a IT administrator.

3. Coolio

Coolio Loaded Pockets

I just got the Skeletool and I'm not impressed. Although they tout it as a full-size multi-tool, it has a small plier head about the size of the Juices, maybe slightly smaller. Build quality is better than all the I have had Leathermans and have used but it is still stiff and gritty and well below the quality of Vic's Swisstool and Spirit. Even my SOG Powerlocks' pliers and tools open smoother. Neat design but it won't replace my Spirit. As an "only the basics" multi-tool, it does have the 3 tools I use 90% of the time on multi-tools (knife, pliers, screwdriver).

I will try the Juice line in the near future. Just trying to figure out which model.

4. leatherman123

leatherman123 BST/Marketplace ban

Are you serious? You need to "break in" Leatherman tools when they're new. If it's gritty use some lubricant. I think your just biased! :)

5. Coolio

Coolio Loaded Pockets

Oh I wish I could love my Leathermans more. They are brilliant designs but poor execution in comparison. I have been "breaking it in" every day since I got it and use RemOil like I do in all my multi-tools and folding knives .No signs of "breaking in" any time soon. Same with my Wave I got a few months ago. Still stiff. :(

Gritty and stiff on my Wave.
    [​IMG]

Lock up is poor on the saw. Barely catches.
    [​IMG]

Lock goes clear to the other sid on the file. Blade lockup is fine.
    [​IMG]

No fanboi here. I show the love where it is deserved. ;)

6. yam350

yam350 Loaded Pockets

The first LM ( PST ) I bought must have been 20 odd years ago and I have never had a problem with manufacturing quality on that or any others since. I have a Skeletool which I have been carrying daily for about a year now and the only thing for me which would be a good addition is a saw, but then I'm a carpenter!
    I carry the tool clipped to my right pocket, I'm left handed so I keep my left pocket for change.The kind of job you have and the life you lead determines the items you may need in a MT, for me the Skeletool may not be quite perfect ( nothing ever will be ) but it does everything I ask of it well including cutting fencing and fine barbed wire, I am in the process of re-profiling the blade as it came with a thick tip but it did still cut reasonably well, for me it must be able to easily sharpen a chippy's pencil which it does but I'd like a finer edge because that's what I like in a blade. For prying I have other tools. One of the best things onn the skeletool is the bit system I bought the kit and have one of the bit holders with the bits I come across most in my EDC bag all the time so I always have a selection of over 20 tips without even having to think about my tools in the truck.I carry with it a Chive in the left pocket and a classic in the 5th pocket of my jeans.

7. alex fekete

alex fekete Loaded Pockets

I own the juice s2, the skeletool, a crunch, a micra and a squirt. I keep coming back to the skeletool. It's just too convenient, I hate having the tools knocking around in my pocket and don't like the feel of holsters. I wear the skeletool in my right pocket on it's clip and hang my keys from the carabiner clip on it. I can pull out my keys by just yanking the tool out of my pocket. Granted the juice has more tools and I would LOVE to carry it instead, but I prefer the one hand opening blade on the skeletool and the pliers work better as well. If they made the juice with a pocket clip and a one hand opening blade (doesn't even have to lock as far as I'm concerned) I would snap one up in an instant. While I like the idea of putting in coin pockets on my pants I really love the quick draw capability of the pocket clip and the fact that if my hands are greasy (I love to work on my car) I can pull out my keys without having to put my dirty hands in my pocket.

8. P35

P35 Loaded Pockets

I pocket carry a Skeletool each day at my work, for me it's just about perfect. :cool:

9. 182

182 Loaded Pockets

Because of our laws about onehand opening blades I never tried a Skeletool, But my Juice S2 never let me down yet..

10. jsmitty1967
    • In Omnia Paratus

jsmitty1967 Go Big Blue

Interesting thread because I have toyed with getting a Juice as well. I have a Skelletool CX and love it. It gets criticized for not having the full complement of tools, but the ones it does have are what you use 99% of the time on a MT. Also, what it does it does well. The screwdriver socket works well, the pliers are a nice intermediate size, and the blade is almost as good as a folder. Plus you can clip it to anything which makes access much quicker. I am intereted in the Juice just for something different, but I don't think you could go wrong either way. Don't forget the Skelletool carabiner is also a bottle opener you can get to quickly.

11. qharjo

qharjo Empty Pockets

Just one word of advice: Handle both of them before buying if at all possible. I was psyched about the Skeletool, looking on it as a pocket knife that just happened to have a set of pliers on it. When I handled it, the humpback off-center nature of the knife was offputting, and the plier head smaller and stubbier than I was expecting. I immediately handed it back, thanked the lady for her time, and walked away.

For now, I settled on my old Buck multi and a Subcom (at least until Wenger pulls their head out and puts a one-handed blade on the Ranger 75!)

12. jsmitty1967
    • In Omnia Paratus

jsmitty1967 Go Big Blue

I picked up a Juice Cs4 the other day and I am a little disappointed. I don't feel the build quality is as high as the Skelletool. Maybe it is the aluminum scales or the riveted construction, but it just doesn't feel as solid. Also, I don't like that the sides are not balanced. The corkscrew side is one layer thicker than the opposing side. Another thing I don't like is the scale across from the corkscrew angles up toward the corkscrew instead of laying flat. I don't know if it is supposed to be like that or not.

13. Trickster

Trickster Loaded Pockets

I have neither, but hopefully Santa will have a Juice S2 for me somewhere in his sack. ;)

That said, I would always prefer the S2, because it is more compact and has more tools. Not to mention that I cannot EDC a Skeletool here because of our knife laws.

I have to admit that the Skeletool looks sturdier, has a bigger blade and is locking. All three points speak for it, but from my own personal point of view and for my requirements the S2 is better.

14. joshearl

joshearl Loaded Pockets

I have a Skeletool and Charge, and I'm very happy with both. The Skeletool has fewer options than the Juice, but it implements them very well.

I have a Juice coming in the mail as a Christmas present for my wife, though. :)

Josh

15. Trickster

Trickster Loaded Pockets

16. Marlinaholic

Marlinaholic Loaded Pockets

If you need robust pliers and a real knife blade, get the Skeletool. The Juice S2 has lots of tools, but although the pliers look about the same as the Skeletool, they are not as thick and the handles flex a little if you really bear down on them, while the Skeletool pliers feel as solid as my Wave when I squeeze down hard on a bolt. The knife on the S2 is more comparable to a small slip joint, a little bigger than the blade on a Case peanut, not in the same class as the Skeletool blade that is thick and feels very strong locked open. Actually, the Freestyle is what I have been carrying for the last couple weeks. I love the pocket clip and I have a Victorinox Super Tinker I always carry that covers what you lose going from the Skeletool to the Freestyle anyway. The Freestyle is about the same overall length as the Juice. I just got a Juice S2 for fun and its nice too. Great scissors and small screw drivers, it's a great tool, and probably even better than the Wave if scissors are a big deal for you. Its hard to decide, which is why we all seem to end up with several multi-tools hanging around.