1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Les Stroud Temagami Knife

Discussion in 'Knives' started by bigshowrenfro, Jan 19, 2011.

1. bigshowrenfro

bigshowrenfro Loaded Pockets

So check it out. I don’t know how many of you follow the survival knife craze. Those superior knives created or designed by the top survival experts out there. So we have seen the Bear Grylls knives both the expensive model made by Bayley Knives and the cheaper made knife by Gerber. Dave Canterbury has his pathfinder knife made by Blind Horse knives, and Ray Mears’ Bushcraft knife that is hardly ever available for sale. So who is the new kid on the block? Helle Knives and Les Stroud have teamed up to design the full tang Temagami. I think it is a pretty good looking knife myself. It will come with either a carbon steel blade or a stainless steel blade. Price point for this knife looks pretty average for a Helle knife so I think this will be a good one to get. So far all I have found are the guys over at The Canadian Outdoor Equipment Company that will have it. You can preorder it from their web site.

https://www.canadianoutdoorequipment.com/store/images/P/Temagami-Canadian-Outdoor-01.jpg

https://www.canadianoutdoorequipment.com/store/Helle-Temagami-knife.html

2. wishbone

wishbone Empty Pockets

I have to say I was somewhat underwhelmed by the design, but I have a lot of respect for Les Stroud. If he believes in the design I'm sure it will do its job well.

3. RiotSnake

RiotSnake Loaded Pockets

I'm a Mora convert i'm afraid, i even tend to buy them for friends and family now as gifts. Looks ok but i will stick with my clipper ;~)

RS.

4. bigshowrenfro

bigshowrenfro Loaded Pockets

There is nothing I could say bad about a mora knife except maybe I don't have enough of them. They are great knives and I think you would be unable to find another knife as good for the money you pay. As for Helle they know what they are doing in knife making and for the people who want to spend a little more on a knife I think they get a lot more. A custom knife is just that but you pay for custom prices. This knife is being made by a well known and proven knife maker and is priced as such. I think it will do well. They should be introduced at the sportsman show in Canada and I am wanting to get one then.

5. iacchus

iacchus Loaded Pockets

Of all the "survival show knives", this is my favorite.

Sent from my A854

6. popedandy

popedandy Loaded Pockets

Helle makes excellent knives and Les knows his stuff and is a real class act. It's nice to see them working together.

7. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

Les is the best!! I am not forking out that knida cash. I just think I can do better for the money.

8. leefx

leefx Empty Pockets

I love it. I think Les is amazing and any knife he designs will be totally utilitarian and function very well as a bushcraft or survival knife.
    This one happens to be gorgeous as well!

Agreed... well sort of!

What about Dave Canterbury's (Dual Survival on Discovery Channel; the bald military trained guy) knife? It's for his survival training school: "Pathfinder Survival School"
    It's made by Blind Horse Knives:
    [​IMG]
    More info here: http://blindhorseknives.com/pathfinder.htm

9. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

If it was fancy, with a ton of bells & whistles, or a super tactical look; then it would be mall-ninja junk.

When I read the thread title, I knew it would be a very basic, totally pragmatic, design since Les attached his good name to it. Definitely not disappointed. That design is excellent for bushcraft and outdoor survival. Pragmatic . . . To the extreme!

10. Sharpdogs

Sharpdogs Uber Prepared

Same here. Besides I love mora knives, so I am a little biasis towards this knife. I wish the sheath had a loop for a ferro rod. Helle makes great knives. This knife should be a hit. At least it does not have a part serrated blade.

11. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

Looks like a full tang version of my Fjellkiven at about twice the price. It will probably be a good seller. I like Stroud. Met him once in Seattle. Nice, down to earth guy. Took time to speak with everyone for a few minutes. Glad he didn't emblazon the knife with his name.

12. iacchus

iacchus Loaded Pockets

I still prefer the Helle. I like the spot on the back of the blade for a ferro rod. The handle looks more comfortable to me also. Both are nice, but for me the Helle has the edge.

13. Gareth

Gareth Loaded Pockets

That's quite a bit more than Helle's normally retail for here, it'll be interesting to see just what the UK price will be. Whatever the price I really like the look of it.

14. Tradecraft

Tradecraft Banned

It is a nice knife but I would spend $180 for it. There are too many other options that are less expensive with high quality.

15. Aonghus

Aonghus Loaded Pockets

Why not? Les Stroud endorses it and he's a pretty popular celebrity. It will sell. Different strokes for different strokes. I wouldn't pay $150 for a pair of jeans either, but people do it every day. I'd sooner buy the $180 knife :)