1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Legal/small pocket knife for German laws

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Ingo, Sep 14, 2017.

1. dRo0G

dRo0G Loaded Pockets

I'm really sure the one on the right is illegal too. Just read a "Feststellungsbescheid" about the blade style. I try to find it again...
    /Edit found it quickly, was just yesterday I read it ;)
    https://www.bka.de/SharedDocs/Downloads/DE/UnsereAufgaben/Deliktsbereiche/Waffen/Feststellungsbescheide/Messer/120709FbZ243KarambitMesser.pdf
    So its not an illegal weapon, but you aren't allowed to carry it in public...

Tony Sal likes this.
  2. dRo0G

dRo0G Loaded Pockets

I THINK its about carry options. You can carry a 9cm OH Blade in your pocket, a 9cm fixed blade doesn't easily fit in, has to go on the belt, where its seen. Or in the backpack where you can't access it directly.
    I hate this law so much, I like the Spydercos, but they're too expensive just to carry around the house. So I'm stuck with two handed opening blades that lock (with the hope the police officer doesn't get it open one handed in any way...) a slip joint or a small fixed blade. But if I draw a fixed blade on a barbecue there's almost screaming the fear of the non-knife guys and no-one believes that its legal to carry...
    All knives, not looking like grandpa or SAK are screaming Weapon for most of the germans. Opinel is also ok, with everything else I get much bad or fears looks. I Mostly carry a SAK and something bigger thats not Opinel, so I get these looks quite often :D

I normally carry one of these:
    https://www.boker.de/taschenmesser/manly/comrade-cpm-154-black/gray-01ml034?_dbl=
    https://www.boker.de/taschenmesser/boeker-plus/innovative-messer/fr-titan-42-01bo745?_dbl=/search?sSearch=titan;__csrf_token=bO1bXxHJ9wjD25aDuSVWoGZZdR8G6S
    https://www.knivesandtools.de/de/pt/-steel-will-druid-205-feststehendes-messer.htm
    Or an Izula or Enzo necker. (+ VIC Pioneer the only Vic I trust ;) )

Last edited by dRo0G, Sep 20, 2017
    #22 dRo0G, Sep 20, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    Moose and Tony Sal like this.
  3. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Have you heard of some police officers going to great lengths to try and get a blade to open then? It would seem that some UK customs officers do going by the confiscation of certain knives.

Tony Sal likes this.
  4. dRo0G

dRo0G Loaded Pockets

Sorry, I don't know if I exactly understand what you mean with "going to great lengths to" (I'm obviously German ;))
    I've read in the German tactical forum or knife forum that one user was checked by the police and had a one hand opening blade but with the thumbstud disassembled and the axe screw tightened so you normally can't open it with one hand. The officer had rubber gloves and opened it one handed. It was confiscated. The attorney couldn't open the blade at his desk and the user got his knife back and no charge.
    Then there's a "Feststellungsbescheid" of a "two handed blade" design where the officer could grab the blade with his thumb wide enough to flip it open and it was classified as a one handed blade. The Knife is the "Pohlforce foxtrott two outdoor". The reasoning to classify it as OH is that the Blade can be opened one handed "without training".
    So my conclusion is, I just carry Knifes with Thumbstud removed and axe screw very tight or knives I think no one can open one handed "without training" ;). I literally never get checked by the police, but the fee for carrying is something like 200€+ and the knife gets destroyed and thats too much money for me to risk anything. You're still dependent from the skills of the officer...

Moose, garza and Tony Sal like this.
  5. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

I just carry a granade launcher, they never seem to check my knife. ... sorry

garza, Moshe ben David and Journo like this.
  6. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Too noisy; draws too much attention. I say go with a bow and arrow. Or see if you can find one of those small crossbows that I sometimes see in old pictures, the ones designed to be used from horseback. Probably easier to edc..... ;-)

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

garza and Tony Sal like this.
  7. Hagbard81

Hagbard81 Loaded Pockets

I would recomment THE German pocket knive. The Otter Mercator, doing his job since 1867. In the picture you see the large brass version:
    [​IMG]

The smal version still has a 85 mm blade, so it might be too large for your taste. But it is a very thin, light and people friendly knive.

You could also have a look at Otter, Carl Schlieper, Hartkopf etc. knives. Or get an Opinel.

Last edited by Hagbard81, Sep 24, 2017
    #27 Hagbard81, Sep 24, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  8. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

I meant do they try very hard to open it, using sneaky tactics too by the sound of it. For example, pinching the spine of a blade between thumb and finger then being able to flick the handle open is not on in my book.

Tony Sal likes this.
  9. Ladev

Ladev Empty Pockets

So in theory can I make my Leatherman Surge a non lockable one hand opening knife and be legal to cary it in public?

10. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

Guys, when you're speaking about German laws, you can stop thinking about what's legal and what not.
    If you followed the news you'll see that politicians from a wide political range are trying to establish "no weapon zones" within whole cities.
    That point was meant for areas with a lot of (knife) criminality like around train stations but they try to make it easier around simply everywhere.

These "weapons" would be any knife, even a tiny keychain SAK, screwdrivers, scissors, most tools, walking sticks without a "need" to it.
    I'm sure they'll find a way to ban lighters soon as you could use it to burn a house.

Craftsmen were fined for carrying knives with snap-off blades without the blades removed because it's a one-hand-opener with a lock and OMG! it's an out-the-front knife!
    A senior lady got fined and her balisong confiscated when she carried it in her car. She's bought it in an AsiaShop and used it to cut mushrooms, didn't even know how to open it with one hand, but Oh, ze Däändzher!

Simply put, inverse Rule No. 9 in Germany to Never leave your house, or if so, don't take any hard object with you, the law will turn it against you.
    (Even more so if you're pale an speak the local idiom)

garza, Nick4305 and Tony Sal like this.
  11. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

I hit 'like ' but this is very sad and serious...

garza and Adahn like this.
  12. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Same situation here in Italy...

Tony Sal and Adahn like this.
  13. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

Sad indeed. The German MesserMagazin (5/2018) has a form to fill out and send to any member of the parliament or whatever politician you know to stop this madness but unlike in the US where the knife industry has a lobby and speaks with one tongue the German makers and seller are rather quiet.
    Why that is so is beyond my knowledge.
    On the other hand even here in Switzerland - where every man (and many boys, girls and women) were carrying a "Sackmesser" (Hosensack is the pant's pocket in Swiss dialect) just some decades ago - I got raised eyebrows for always carrying a folding knife. Not in public, but in an orthopedic company that works with sharp knives to cut and thin leather on a daily basis.
    I just wonder what app they use to cut open those magnificent blister packs.

Btw, after being in this Co. since 10 years already everybody introduces me as the one who sharpens their knives and esp. their scissors ;)

14. GermanyChris

GermanyChris Loaded Pockets

The fun thing is the last time I went through a DUI checkpoint I was carrying an AFO one officer played with it while the other gave me a breathalyzer when I was done she told me it was a cool knife and handed it back.

Knife laws are strict in Germany but my experience has been that they're not really enforced or are a additional charge. My Sebenza still goes with me when I head home and while in out and about.

Tony Sal likes this.
  15. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Not that I need it -- I LONG ago decided to never set foot in Germany, not even to change planes at Frankfurt airport -- but this thread just makes it even more clear to me that I've made a wise decision!

Moshe ben David

Tony Sal likes this.