1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Left-Handed carry Assisted Flipper, 3in or less

Discussion in 'Knives' started by SOS24, Apr 2, 2018.

1. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

I am looking for an assisted opening flipper with a blade that is preferably 3 inches if not slightly less that can be set-up for tip-up left pocket carry.

I edc a Benchmade 490 Arcane which I love, but want a similar knife with a shorter blade so I can carry it in some areas that have blade length limits (3in being most restrictive). I am left-handed and want to be able to carry it in my left pocket, which rules out some of the nicer knives. I know that I could purchase a knife then have it custom drilled, but I would prefer not to do this.

2. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I know that the PM2 comes in a left hand configuration; but when I checked the Spyderco forum, not the PM3. No, these are not flippers; but with the Spyderco compression lock, once you squeeze that lock to disengage it the blade is totally free swinging and hence could work much as a one hand flipper does.

Not exactly what you wanted to hear, I know. Sorry about that.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

3. Hangman
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hangman Loaded Pockets

Have you considered a mini-Barrage? Not a flipper, but a powerful assisted opening, and ambidextrous

4. Sinkhole

Sinkhole Loaded Pockets

#4 Sinkhole, Apr 3, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    qualitycarry and Nick4305 like this.
  5. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

Most of them in the link seemed to not be assisted opening and I didn’t see a way to select that. Thanks for the suggestion of the Cryo, I forgot about that one. I looked at the Dividend, but the Cryo might be the better of those.

#5 SOS24, Apr 3, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    Adahn likes this.
  6. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

Does anyone have any experience with the Kershaw Pico?

I was looking at getting the Kershaw Cryo and then saw the Pico for my less than 3 in folder. The two seem very similar.

Pico
    Steel: 8Cr13MoV, stonewashed & satin finish
    Handle: Steel, bead-blasted finish
    Blade Length: 2.9 in. (7.4 cm)
    Closed Length: 3.9 in. (9.9 cm)
    Overall Length: 6.8 in. (17.3 cm)
    Weight: 4.2 oz. (119 g)

Cryo
    Steel: 8Cr13MoV, titanium carbo-nitride coating
    Handle: 410 stainless steel, titanium carbo-nitride coating
    Blade Length: 2.75 in. (7 cm)
    Closed Length: 3.75 in. (9.5 cm)
    Overall Length: 6.5 in. (16.5 cm)
    Weight: 4.1 oz. (116.2 g)

7. Moshe ben David

@SOS24: go on YouTube and search for 'Kershaw Pico'. Bunch of video reviews. I'd especially look at the ones by BirdShot IV and Zelrick.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

8. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

Thanks. I did watch and read a couple reviews. I think I am going to try the Pico. I think it will fit my need of a one-handed folder for when traveling to/thru blade length restrictive states.

9. Moshe ben David

Enjoy!

Moshe

SOS24 likes this.
  10. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I am a lefty, too, and I find that Spyderco most consistently provides ambidextrous knives.

The only draw-back to a flipper, though, is that it is almost invariably a liner or frame lock knife. Liner/frame locks are right-handed locks, unless specifically made as a left-handed lock.

If left-handed closing is important to you, you might consider a waved Spyderco Delica - you get the ambidexterity, non-spring mechanical opening, and a sub-3-inch blade.

Not exactly what you asked about, but a possible work-around depending on which is more critical - ambidexterity or flipper opening.

11. Moshe ben David

@jag-engr: sort of following on the train of thought you began above ^^. Spyderco knives with compression locks are sometimes also available for left hand operation. Seems to me that although these aren't flippers, once you 'open' the lock essentially the blade can and does swing free -- at least as freely if not more so than virtually any flipper I've used or seen reviews of. Maybe that's another strategy for a left handed knife?

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

12. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I used to do that with my Paramilitary. Along a similar vein, Benchmade’s axis lock knives can do the same (perhaps even better) when you pull the axis lock back with your thumb and forefinger.

13. Moshe ben David

Yes, the BM axis lock can work that way. But I like the compression lock better... ;)

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

14. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

Unfortunately, when I did get an opportunity to actually test out the Pico, I did not like it. To me the assisted opening was very gritty and a took mor effort that all the other Kershaws I have tried. I found my ZT0900 smoother and quicker despite not being assisted. So, I decided against the Pico and for know will just stick with the ZT0900 for my smaller blade until I find another that peaks my interest.

15. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

I have had enough practice with frame-locks that I do not usually have a problem one-handed closing. It is not as smooth or fast as right-hand but I can do it.

My ideal would be if Benchmade would make a mini Arcane or Vector in sub-3in, like mini-Grip length. I don’t know if it will happen, but then I don’t think they have been making flippers that long so maybe one day.