1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

leaving every day carry

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by ianxjr, Dec 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonester

tonester Loaded Pockets

No problem with trying to get your thoughts across, but when you have less than 20 post and go on to say on a forum based on Edc that edc'ing is some sort of pathetic way to be a savior... Well that's trolling. So do us all a favor and stick to what you said and don't come back. You haven't contributed anything to this community and we don't need you.

As far as your name, if it's so important to you then you should have thought twice before joining a forum on the Internet.

2. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

That's funny. If the OP has that much experience with forums, he should know that the internet is like Vegas - what happens on the internet stays on the internet.

Agreed, this sounds like more of an angry melt-down than someone deciding this forum is just not for them.

3. Riggs

Riggs Loaded Pockets

I'm sure Aron Ralston was glad he had that 2" pocket knife, even if it was dull.

4. billybag
    • In Omnia Paratus

billybag Loaded Pockets

This was the first forum I ever joined and I can't say I have ever noticed this kind of thread here.
    So I was curious what a troll is? Sorry I'm not up on the terms and such.

I was curious
    Just googled ianxjr....... I think I answered my own question.

5. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Loaded Pockets

A troll is someone who says inflammatory things to get on people's nerves and provoke arguments.

6. billybag
    • In Omnia Paratus

billybag Loaded Pockets

Thank you.

7. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Loaded Pockets

I'm sure there's a better definition out there, but that's always how I've thought of it :p

8. iomatic

iomatic Loaded Pockets

"personal carry" would be a less clunky, stigma-less, and more generic term. Or something like it.

9. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Loaded Pockets

If you're replying to me, I was talking about trolls.
    If not, I think every day carry is perfectly generic. Regardless, the stigma doesn't come from the word; it follows it.

10. stevem174

stevem174 Loaded Pockets

Every single person has Every Day Carry items. It might only be sunglasses and a house key, but they carry them everyday. If the only thing I learn from this group is that there is a better pair of sunglasses than the one I currently have, then great!! It was worth the price of admission.

Do some people take the EDC to extremes? I think so. But who am I and why do I care if they want to carry two of everything to the point that they have 30 pounds of gear and it takes them 2 hours to stuff their pockets full every morning? Now if they start trying to stuff my pockets....there will be a problem.

There are things that I need or want to have on me or near me.
    What do I use everyday?
    What do I need most days?
    What do I seldom need but when I need it I need it now?
    What do I want most days?
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    What do I have to have ON me?
    What can stay in a pack at my desk, home, office, vehicle?

To me, this site is about using many peoples collective education and experiences to answer one question. "How can I make my daily life easier and safer"

But that's just me, YMMV

11. egrep

egrep Banned

Yer hilarious pal. No one forced you to register or to post. Those were YOUR choices, YOUR actions and YOUR words. Now go run to your mammies skirts. You're not ready for adult responsibilities, are you?

12. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

Merry Christmas,and goodbye.

~Gnarly :evilgrin:

13. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

scríbhneoir Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Thread now closed.
    :peg2:

14. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

There where a huge number of really good posts in this thread. In fact many of you don't know how happy I am to see the kind of post that where made.

In the past I used to get a steady stream of messages similar but different than yours. Rarely does an "I am leaving message appear in public, usually they where sent straight to me". I am thankful they are dropping in number quite rapidly. I am now thinking the reason I am not getting as many of those messages are related to the attitudes in the posts I saw in this thread. All the messages that have been sent to me about leaving have the common theme of some level of dissatisfaction. I am taking advantage of your post to make some points so I will do just that then go back to people who tell me they are leaving the forum.

I think we will always have blanket statements and maybe sometimes they are appropriate but it is my opinion that usually the contents of a blanket statement are conditional. What I mean by this it usually seems to me that a blanket statement might be true for box's a, c, e, g, and f. Sometimes true for box's b, d, and, h. Never true for box's, i, j, and k.

One of my hopes is this forum will never be a place where we become a homogeneous group and that the entire forum carries and does the same exact set of things. In my mind that would mean we where all in the same climate, do the same job, live in the same kind of neighborhood, do the same activities, have had the same life experiences, and on and on and on. Some people have sent me messages telling me that they have figured out that a bunch of my posts are devils advocate posts (ack...more messages) some have seen where I have stated that I make devils advocate posts. Those are just reminders that even if something is true for 90% of people there are some members it might not apply to (Where these posts are made is because some member or members have pointed it out to me).

Now on to why some people have said they are leaving the forum. Some members have told me that they think the forum is nice but there is not much or any discussion that applies to them, I think this is fair but I hope when people feel like that they can try and talk about those empty holes in forum that applies to what they carry on a regular basis. There are some members who have left because they have read several places on the forum "If you don't practice abc you shouldn't be on the forum" or if you "All of us believe in xyz", I can understand the frustration with that but if you look around you will see we all don't practice or believe in the exact same things. A closer look and you will find there are several smaller groups on the forum and a ton of vin diagrams going on.

What I hope comes from this thread is the realization that we are different and can't be lumped into a single group except maybe that we carry stuff.

Now about the comments from the OP.

There is a mention about the idea of being prepared. What is being prepared? I think we all do it or only some of us doing depending on what you are talking about. Are you prepared for a standardized test requiring a #2 pencil? Are you prepared to go shopping by having your wallet, cash or credit card? Are you preparing for a flood? I think the word prepared has such broad meaning that it can be hard to pin down what a person means. There are certainly people out here that try to be prepared for the unknown event as much as they can. There are those that think if you carry too much you are not prepared to move as easily, some think over preperation is a negative. Some are prepared to do the things they do each day and what they requires varies all over the place. Some people use such a large number of items daily it would be difficult to be redundant and be able to physically accomplish their goals, these people might not find it difficult to prepare for too many unknowns. Carrying much might not be much use to you daily but it does not mean there are others that would use these items on a regular basis. Some do not need these items daily but will find themselves wishing they had it someday so they have it, that is an honest reason for carrying it as well. I am guessing there are things you do carry and use, maybe not a pocket knife for flashlight but I bet there is something you carry and use.

You might never need these things and thats ok, maybe someday you will will you had them, I have know way of knowing. I am not going to fault someone for having something then will never use and will not fault them for not having something because they felt carrying something else was more appropriate. I have carried a gun for pest control but never thought I would actually shoot a person but I have. I doubt that will ever happen again and I certainly don't want to do that again. I have nothing against those that want to be prepared but I also don't have anything against those that are not...what ever the word prepared means. Now saying these items will have no use to anyone is not fair. There are some people on the forum that work with horses, they are a subset of the category (anyone) I have seen people working with horses melt the end of a piece of rope with a lighter so it will not fray. I tended to use tape but what they did is quite alright. A flashlight for some people on a daily basis, for some once in awhile and there are some that would not use it ever outside of an emergency. I used to live 7 miles from a source of artifical light other than my own. I found it nice to have if I didn't want to wait for my eyes to adapt to avoid objects going to my front door (I miss my old home) saying a light will serve no purpose to anyone in my opinion is a bit of a stretch, they might have been able to manage without it but sometimes it simply makes life easier. On the other hand there have been emergencies or power outages that a light might be very handy. I have had almost 30 days of no electricity this year alone. Sometimes things can wait till you get home, for some it saves enough steps to not have to go home to make having something worth carrying, that just depends on what you do and encounter. On survival tins I don't like them but other people do. I have lived and worked outdoors for extended periods of time and prefer other methods of carrying those things over a tin. I don't like to think of it as my surviving but like to think of it as living.

When I have carried more than one knife it was not a backup, it was for a different job. I have never carried a knife with the tought of fighting with it or survival though they could be used for that to some degree. I carried them to do jobs and have learned long ago that some jobs are better done with one type of knife and other jobs are better done with another. I will not fault someone for carrying a knife for survival or emergency just like I hope they don't critisize me for using a knife to repair something, to gather wild plants, or to prepare rope to work with a block and tackle. I find headlamps more useful when I am working, backpacking, and a few other activities. It is easier to repair a fence having both hands available. I think one would be hard pressed to be prepared for a third world war with what they can carry on their person, I think they could only carry some things that might be useful but I don't think they can really prepare for that and it still be EDC. I don't carry pouches and the backpack that I use daily is full of what I am carrying to the post office, it comes home empty each day unless I stop at the store.

If someone needs, wants, or finds a flashlight, scissors, leatherman, and so on useful they can sort it out for themselves if they want to. It does not mean they can't come in here and talk about it. I don't understand what are getting at on "who do we think we are"? I started the forum out of thinking about being more efficient, others came he for other reasons. I think many of us feel quite different about who we are. I have been around military people all my life, my dad was a 27 year veteran, my grandmother was one of thirteen and lost some brothers, all the brothers severed. I have worked in the field with veterans, have backpacked with veterans. They carry stuff too and I found that most of what they used and carried did not match what they carried and used in the military as they where not a match. In the military they where prepared for war where one of the strengths of the USA is a massive logistical support system. You do things different when you don't have a massive logistical system and are not fighting a war. It would have been silly for them to do things exactly the same as the conditions where different.

I will toss out some people I have encountered when I was not carrying my EDC but backpacking. I have gone some places backpacking where I didn't encounter any backpackers, I did find people spread out over several days though and they where working and carrying their EDC. I will state I was not interested in backpacking to try and survive, I carried stuff to live, why I liked to go out there was to see things, be remote, and get away from things. I have run into field geologists, I have run acrossed a person that was a soil scientist that normally specializes in tundra, I have run across someone doint scatter plot studies of bird populations, I have found mappers and people doing natural surveys, and I have run across someone trying to find a lost head of cattle but didn't find any backpackers aside from myself. They where all carrying the tools of their respective trades as well as things to make life easier working in remote areas. I honestly think some of these people knew as much about more about surviving (living) in remote areas than many people that talk about surviving.

I really am not trying to beat up on you at all and I have no problem with the first part of your post, if you don't want to carry certain items, prepare for certain things, or don't find some items useful, you don't have to carry them. Where I am troubled is when I feel we are being lumped together and judged as a group. We all don't fit so neatly into one category. It has been my hope that this forum can be here for all people that carry something for almost any reason. I hope we can be accepting of people that carry because they think it is cool as well as those that want to make life easier, those that carry for school, work, for the unexpected, for self defense, to help others, to be more comfortable, or just for fun. I don't see why all these different groups can't be in here for their own reasons.

15. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

We are going to reopen this thread but will ask that people be nice.

That does not mean you can't post what you think but we would like you to post what you think in a civil manner.

If it becomes mean it will get locked again. Again you can post what you think and can agree or disagree with anything in this thread so long as it does not become personal.

16. aedmband21

aedmband21 Loaded Pockets

It seems like the op decided to start carrying all of that stuff purely because of this forum. Not bc it's what he or she could use on a daily basis. You should carry stuff that you use or carry stuff to be prepared for things you may worry about. Its been said before but if you're not worried about **** scenarios, don't carry it. It's almost comical how the story line of the post reads. I came to this forum... carried a flashlight and altoids tin because someone else does...didn't like the weight...then cried... and took my ball and went home.

17. JasonAre

JasonAre Banned

Why do people make these threads? Just simply stop coming, why broadcast your leaving publicly. What are you expecting people to sit and beg you to stay? You’re leaving an internet forum, not stepping down as CEO from a fortune 500 company. Making a whole show and insulting people for their hobbies is stupid.

No one cares.

18. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

Having been in Emergency Medical services since 1980, I find this more than a little insulting, albeit incorrect. :sigh:

Am I the only one who finds someone making an open post (rather than a PM to an admin) asking to have his posts and username removed somewhat ironic? ???

Take a really good look at YOURSELF in the mirror with all your criticism. Why do you care what others carry? If you choose to carry nothing, good for you and Godspeed. Why the rancor? "You don't need it!" :tickedoff:

19. Cloak

Cloak Loaded Pockets

This post makes no sense. Every human EDCs something, so to say you are going to stop EDCing would mean you're going to stop carrying your house/car keys, your wallet, your phone.

EDC means every day carry, its what YOU carry everyday, and if you see no need in carrying a FAK, why carry it in the first place? It sounds like you came on this forum and saw what others were carrying, and you thought you needed to do the same. Personally, im fine with my wallet, phone, a folding knife, my keys and my cell phone. EDC is not just to prepare for a natural disaster or another world war, its to make your day to day live easier, and if a knife, or a pen makes someones life easier, why bash them?

20. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

This forum exists with limited freedom which is good beacuse that sets a few limits. We should all remember that. There's too much going on here for reasons I can't agree with. Ah, nuts -- it makes me long winded.

I neither know nor care whether or if the OP was trolling. There are however a lot of noses getting bent out of shape and that puzzles me. I always thought that it was OK to agree to disagee. Why waste time trying to make a world where everyone thinks alike? Why let something like it get to you?

I tend to go with the "To each his own" school of thought. I learn a whole lot more from differing thoughts than those that just coincide with my own, even if it just goes to reaffirm why I do what I do or think what I think. It seems to me that life's too boring with only one set of opinions. It even keeps my blood pressure from getting too high.

I could never see what makes people so upset about maybe looking at things from a different viewpoint. Nobody ever said it was illegal or immoral to disagree with almost any idea. Maybe the OP could have said things a little bit less inflamatory but there wasn't a whole lot of harm in what was (probably) meant. Maybe we could do with getting past it. If it still bothers folks, I don't see it but it keeps things from being the same all the time I guess.

Anywhoo... Back on topic --

Yeah, I do carry more than I use every day. But I don't carry it all every day. A little variety and a Whoop-de-do! On the other hand I carry a lot of things that I use once or more times each and every day. Some of them are necessities, others convenient, and a few just entertaining (ah, the sweetness of EDC!).

Other items I carry every day might only get used once in awhile and there are even a few that get used once in a blue moon.

A few items can (and have been) life or sanity saving -- I'm grateful not to have to need those items every day but I've always got 'em with me just in case. Why not? I'm the one carrying them and who else is concerned as long as it doesn't negatively affect anyone else? I don't carry a kitchen sink though.

Still, I do go through things on a somewhat regular basis and pare down my kit when I need to or just feel like it. So I do see things from both sides of the argument.

To me the whole object of EDCF -- and life -- is to learn new things, find new items to use or new uses for the stuff you've already got, and to learn how to get through life better.

I'm the type who also carries things to help others as well as myself. Going through life only being able to look out for yourself seems pretty lame to me. Seems to me it is even worse to choose to only look out for #1 but that's an individual choice on my part too. As they say YMMV.

Carry or don't carry what you want. 'S'no big thing so why sweat it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.