1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Leathermans warranty/customer service..WOW

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by marsos52, Feb 4, 2014.

1. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

like the title says..

last week I broke the wide screwdriver blade on my Charge TTI. I was so bumped.
    Plus, I wasn't even abusing the blade at all.

I downloaded the return form and send it out last Monday. I tracked it, to see Leatherman
    received it on Friday. To my surprise, I got a email the next day telling me my Charge has been shipped back to me with a tracking number included.

Came home yesterday, checked my mail and there it is. WOW that's fast.

I was expecting it to be repaired, but they sent me a new charge and the current version too.

At first I was wishing they just repaired my old one, because I like the scales better, now it is here
    the new version is just fine and I have my tool back.

Kudos to leatherman

docer, pvsoriano, bzimmerly and 6 others like this.
  2. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

That's also why i'm a big fan of LM ;)

bzimmerly, GRH, AK Adventurer and 2 others like this.
  3. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

Sweet!
    For future reference, They have(or used to anyway, but I think its still there) a spot on those forms that you mark if you want your old tool back instead of replaced. :cool:

bzimmerly and Nick4305 like this.
  4. Xiii
    • In Omnia Paratus

Xiii Loaded Pockets

Thats great service, its good to hear that a company stands behind their warrantee. I had a similar experience with LM about 20 years ago and that is one of the reasons I continue to buy them. (plus they are a great tool)
    Xiii

5. Octane957

Octane957 Loaded Pockets

I have a LM Crater c33tx I carried every day and broke the bottle opener one day (Misuse on my part). I sent it back and they had a new knife to me in less than a week. I was a customer for life after that. They are not the flashiest knife but to this day it's still one of my favorite knives to EDC. Great company IMO

AK Adventurer, Xiii and Nick4305 like this.
  6. gear_queer

gear_queer Loaded Pockets

my employer issues leathermans to all of us. our office dispatcher usually sends about 1 a month out on warranty. agreed, awesome company.

AK Adventurer likes this.
  7. generationlost

generationlost Loaded Pockets

Agreed. I broke the small flat head bit on my Juice S2 and sent it in under warranty and they shipped me a brand new Juice (same color) within a week.

8. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

yes they do have that option to have your broken LM repaired and returned.

AK Adventurer likes this.
  9. 99Formula

99Formula Loaded Pockets

I wonder what would happen if you broke a discontinued tool? I trashed a fuse a few years ago before realizing how good the LM warranty really is.

10. SpyderPrepper

SpyderPrepper Loaded Pockets

They keep a supply on hand for warranty purposes. When said supply runs out they give you the next closest thing to it. For example, a Rebar would be a suitable replacement for a fuse etc. What I'm curious about is whether or not they will replace tools that are older than 25 years. Leatherman only has a 25 year warranty, it was never an issue before but now that the company is 30 it will be interesting to see if this transitions to a true lifetime warranty,

11. kembativz

kembativz Loaded Pockets

At the risk of resurrecting a semi-dead thread, I just had a fantastic experience (my first experience, also) with Leatherman's customer service which I wanted to share.

I bought a Juice CS4 online recently (new) which I was a little disappointed with when I recieved it - I found that the saw wouldn't shut straight, the knife blade backspring had almost no tension holding it in place (I own 2x other model Juices, so I have some basis for comparison), the scissors didn't seem to sit in straight and the pliers stuck on the handles getting it out. Basically, I got a lemon. In any case, I emailed Leatherman's customer service asking if this was covered under warranty, and if not, what I could do to get it fixed. I recieved an email back in less than an hour, telling me to send it in. I did posted it in, and a week later I hadn't heard anything else...

...until a package arrived in the mail with a completely knew Juice CS4 in it. It appears they straight up replaced the tool with a new one (with none of the problems I'd had), no questions asked, no fuss. I'm frankly very impressed.

So I just wanted to share it here - Leatherman's customer service really is as awesome and everyone keeps saying!

keith1234 and CNeal like this.
  12. MDavidson

MDavidson Empty Pockets

Yeah you can't argue with Leatherman's customer service and warranty. King of the multitool market IMO.

keith1234 likes this.
  13. Gravy

Gravy Loaded Pockets

A few weeks ago the eyeglass driver on my Wave snapped and I sent them an Email. Their reply essential said: "We wont send you a replacement bit. You either have to send the whole thing in or buy a bit replacement kit." I'm obviously paraphrasing, but this just bothered me. I guess I'll have to live without the bit for now.... (sorry for hijacking the thread, just had to rant... :p)

keith1234 likes this.
  14. figuy

figuy Loaded Pockets

I sent them an email about my brand spanking new Squirt PS4 because "the Philips is extremely difficult to deploy". Their response:

"I am very sorry to hear that the Phillips is hard to deploy on your PS4; we do use Loctite when we put them together which can cause them to be snug at first. We recommend thoroughly saturating the tool with a light machine oil and letting it sit overnight; completely dry it in the morning. It can take a few times of performing this procedure but it should help loosen up the tool.
    If after trying the above it doesn't work please let me know."

Wrong answer, I returned it to the retailer and got a Gerber Dime.

dork likes this.
  15. tsabatine

tsabatine Loaded Pockets

I've always been very please with leathermans warranty service. I sent in a charge ti after it had been discontinued and received it back with an s30v blade (it was originally 154cm) so a bit of an upgrade from LM. They sent me a back a bit of a unique tool! :)

And figguy I have to agree with what the leatherman rep told you. I've had quite a few different models out of the box nail breaking tight, and everytime working a bit of oil into the pivots did the trick to loosen them up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. figuy

figuy Loaded Pockets

I worked at back and forth at least a couple hundred times or more and it barely made a difference. I didn't use any oil though. Still I shouldn't need a tool to deploy a tool.

17. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

I've found most new Leathermans are a bit stiff, sometimes nailbreakingly so. Every one I've had smoothed out perfectly with use.

18. Daz

Daz Loaded Pockets

I dunno, it's common with a lot of tools from all manufacturers that you'll need to do something to it (e.g. sharpen the blade). I don't think that makes it a bad product. Besides, regularly oiling/sharpening tools is not a bad habit to get into if you're after keeping them in top condition.

On topic, Leatherman has some of the top customer service I've come across. They seem to have this novel idea of using people who know what they're talking about at the very first level of contact, which is almost unheard of in other companies: "I'll just pass you through to our Customer Services/Engineering/Turn-it-off-and-on-again department, please hold for 43 minutes". It makes getting an answer incredibly easy and it's a nice change from the norm.

cowsmilk and keith1234 like this.
  19. AirBourneMedic

AirBourneMedic Loaded Pockets

Last edited by AirBourneMedic, Apr 21, 2014
  20. derfyled

derfyled Loaded Pockets

For people in Canada, they have a warranty service based in Ontario. I've sent a broken XE6 without a receipt and 8 days later I received a brand new one. Simply fantastic.