1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Leatherman Wingman for EDC

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by lazybusinessman, Dec 3, 2011.

1. karlito

karlito Loaded Pockets

When closed, mine has quite a bit of up and down play in the arms. Anyone else?

2. sotto2

sotto2 Loaded Pockets

I ain't gonna buy any more multitools until I find one that can be used to work on itself. ;-)

3. Flying Dutchman

Flying Dutchman Loaded Pockets

For me, the Sidekick at 7oz did not offer enough weight savings to justify a light-er duty EDC. Not saying it's not capable of many tasks, but for 1.5 more ounces I can have my Wave or Charge, with exchangeable bits, stronger pliers, etc. If you don't own a Leatherman and want a low cost tool that is capable, by all means, Wingman & Sidekick are perfect. If you are already sworn in to the Leatherman brotherhood, and are looking for a lighter EDC option, get a Juice S2. Just my personal opinion. I recently sold my Sidekick and bought a Juice S2, couldn't be happier.

4. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

I like the Wingman much more than I thought I would. I agree that's it's not the best tool per ounce. On that basis, I would choose a Leatherman Wave (8.5 oz) or a Victorinox Swisstool Spirit (7.4 oz.) over it. Likewise, the more pocketable Juice S2 offers a lot of the functionality at a lower weight (4.4 oz).

At $20-25 though, I believe it may be the best full size tool for the money. It may not fight above its weight class but it fights way above its amateur status.

5. MDCCLXXVI

MDCCLXXVI Loaded Pockets

Its built to a price more than the Wave/Charge are.

Its one of those stocking stuffers that fathers can give their boys and not tear a hole in the bottom of the wallet.

If kiddie loses the tool, it sucks but its not as big a deal as losing a Charge TTi.

6. nw1911guy

nw1911guy Loaded Pockets

I think my favorite is still my old Wave. It's one of the first ones.

7. CarpentryHero

CarpentryHero Loaded Pockets

Wingmans are a great tool, I've gotten two as gifts for people. It's a great size/use ratio. I use larger when at work like the Mut or Surge, and a skeletool around the house (best bottle opener ever)

It is a little lighter than my wave that's now my truck multitool.

8. Quixotica

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

I got a Wingman for Christmas. It's been in my pocket instead of my Victorinox Climber for the past week. I'm loving it, so far. It clips nicely into my pocket and I can't tell it's there until I need it. I also forgot the benefits of having a one hand opening blade. I built a bookcase with the screwdrivers the other day, and I was impressed with how easy and usable the philips screwdriver is. It's also nice to have a little more reach with the philips screwdriver instead of using the can opener on the Climber as an impromptu philips. The best part is that the Wingman isn't any thicker than a 3 layer Vic, has a sturdy clip, and isn't significantly bigger all around. Weighs a bit more, but that's a non issue, really.

9. yam350

yam350 Loaded Pockets

I just bought a Wingman before Christmas, I saw it in a local Angling shop for a little less than half the price of a Skeletool, which is what I usually carry.
    I thought to get a lot more funtionality for so much less money at a similar size and a little more weight would be a good deal. I carried it for three weeks but I don't think much of the scissors ( My Vic Executive has better) and it doesn't grip my pocket as well as the Skelly. Also the cutters are not bypass which is a down point for me. I still think the Wingman is good value for money especially as a starter but in general the Skelly does enough combined with my Muela in the other pocket, so I will stick with that and hold the Wingman as back up in case I lose or break the Skelly.