1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Leatherman Wingman for EDC

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by lazybusinessman, Dec 3, 2011.

1. lazybusinessman

lazybusinessman Loaded Pockets

debating about picking one of these up for EDC. normally i just carry a knife, but there is normally a need for a small set of scissors etc. why not grab one of these and and kill multiple birds with one stone.

so my question is for people that own these, how comfortable is to carry in your pocket for EDC? my only concern is it being too heavy or a little too bulky. bulky i could get over. but it would be clipped on my pocket where my knife would normally sit. i dont know if id full on replace my EDC knife, but probably switch out depending on the situation.

2. Amafan

Amafan Loaded Pockets

I carry a Wingman EDC, clipped to my front right jeans pocket. Most of he time I forget its there except when I need it. No probs so far. The pocket clip is well designed and slides right in without any drama at all.

3. lazybusinessman

good to hear that. im probably going to pick one up soon. i need a new multitool and the design/tools on this one fit my needs pretty well. thanks for the input!

4. cubegleamer

cubegleamer Loaded Pockets

When I was looking for a MT to EDC I found that the Juice S2 was the lightest MT that had Pliers, Scissors, knife, screwdrivers... I put a P7 suspension clip on mine and it is the most comfortable way I've found to carry one.

5. Rawls

Rawls Loaded Pockets

Leatherman sent me a Sidekick for review and it is a very nice, low cost option. I can't imagine the Wingman being any different. I especially like the calm shell cutter.

6. DemskeetSkeet

DemskeetSkeet Loaded Pockets

Menards has the Wingman on sale for $19.98 this week.

7. lazybusinessman

too bad i dont live near a menards anymore. they dont have them in the southwest. ill probably just order it from amazon or something.

8. able_man
    • In Omnia Paratus

able_man Loaded Pockets

I like the Wingman, it's lighter and more basic than my Wave which is a little bulky in pocket even with the clip. For me anyway. The only thing is the clip on my Wingman seems kind of loose. I've tightened the screw, but the clip slides easily on the fabric of my pocket. It's not going to fall out of my pocket, it's just more mobile than I'm used to with pocket clips I guess. All around nice tool set and light in the pocket though.

9. Zatx

Zatx Loaded Pockets

Home Depot has/had it for $19.99. You can't throw a rock without hitting one of those stores in the South.

The Juice S2 is a fine alternative. I have both the Wingman and the Juice. The Juice was darn near $65.00 though. You just can't beat the value of the Wingman. I bought a bunch for my relatives for Christmas.

10. b0wz3r

b0wz3r Empty Pockets

The Juice S2 can be had for about $42 from Cutleryshoppe.com; excellent CS as well as great prices on most of their items.

http://www.cutleryshoppe.com/juices2colorchoices.aspx

For my needs, the Wingman and Sidekick are too heavy, particularly compared to the S2. I'm a cyclist and hiker, so weight is important to me. If I'm going to carry the 7+ oz. or so of a Wingman or Sidekick, I'd rather move up to something like a Fuse which is an ounce lighter, or a Blast, which is about the same weight. If I'm going to commit a half a lb. to a tool, I'd go with a Charge instead, as it will do everything most any other LM will do, and a SAK as well.

I know I'm being picky here, but when biking or hiking, if you can shave an ounce or an ounce and a half out of each of the things you end up carrying, you end up saving a couple of lbs total weight in your pack, which does make a difference in terms of fatigue, agility, etc. when on the road or the trail.

11. karlito

karlito Loaded Pockets

At $20, the cost of a Micra, give it a try. You can always leave it in the car or bag if you don't like the way it carries. I carry mine clipped in the right front pocket; don't even know its there thanks to the pocket clip. If it didn't have the clip and sank to the bottom of my pocket I wouldn't carry it. Not to say it is a bad tool at all, it great especially for the price, I just don't like stuff in the bottom of my pockets.

12. lazybusinessman

yeah i was going to order one from amazon, but then looked at the home depot website and they had them for cheaper and in stock. picked it up this evening after i got outta work. really happy with the size/weight. put it in my pocket and its no bigger than the knife i normally carry. looks like its a keeper. give it a whole test day tomorrow but overall i think its great so far.

13. mvyrmnd

mvyrmnd Loaded Pockets

14. lazybusinessman

ahhh! wow thanks for pointing that out...gotta be careful. i dont see myself torquing anything down with the screwdriver but you never know.

15. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

As an inexpensive first time multi-tool, I can't think of anything better than the Wingman. It may be all you need. However, if you already have a comparably sized Leatherman, a Wingman offers no additional capabilities, and is all too clearly the "economy" model.

16. cubegleamer

cubegleamer Loaded Pockets

I just picked up a Wingman today from Home Depot for $24.99. I've been thinking about getting the Wave because I like the bit driver set but I thought that I'd get the Wingman first and see how I like the size. I've been carrying the Juice S2 for a while now so this is a step up in weight and size for me. The scissors are great on this MT. I'll carry it for a week or two before I decide if it's going to make it into my rotation.

17. angusW

angusW EDC Junkie!!!

I carry my modded Wingkick in my back pocket. I sewed a bit of the pocket so it stays on the outside and doesn't slide in. I actually prefer it to my Tti or Wave. It's a bit smaller and Leatherman has improved the way it opens and closes. I find the tti and wave get a bit stuck sometimes when opening or closing the pliers. Also the spring loaded pliers are easier to use. At the price point of the Wingman I would give it a try.

Here's a size comparison.

[​IMG]

Here's the mod.

[​IMG]

18. lazybusinessman

ive been carrying it everyday for the past what now...2 weeks? has come in handy more then one time. especially at work. happy with the purchase and so far ive only been carrying this instead of a knife for time being to save pocket space.

19. bladeblabber

bladeblabber Loaded Pockets

I bought my uncle one of these for christmas, it looks like a good tool. The price point kind of scared me but it looks like it has good leatherman quality!

20. Max Archer

Max Archer Loaded Pockets

I really want to try a Wingman. Would've left HD with one today but turns out my usual store doesn't have them.

How's it feel compared with the Wave? I found that mine is a bit too heavy for comfortable carry, I'm wondering if the Wingman will be enough of a difference.