1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Leatherman Wave vs Charge TTi

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by jonpwn, Apr 7, 2011.

1. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

Thanks I had no idea, I thought it was only for crimping detonators for blowing things up! I got it for the gut hook /line cutters. Also thanks for the videos!

2. Wolvee

Wolvee Loaded Pockets

I wish I would have bought the Charge TTI instead of my wave. Although, if I would have bought the C TTI I would have wanted the WAVE instead.

I guess I wouldn't be the best person to ask. lol Buy the charge now save for the cheaper wave later. :0)

3. pipedreams

pipedreams Loaded Pockets

While the crimper may work well for .22 rounds, I am fairy certain it was designed for blasting caps.

4. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

Which makes you like the rest of us. ;D

5. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

Thank you, pipedreams. That clarifies my remark
    We don't really have anything in the way of avalanche hazards at my 2 ski areas, so we rarely get to do much blasting.

6. jonpwn

jonpwn Loaded Pockets

interesting, i didn't know it was designed for ammunition. and can someone explain why i would want a downgraded multitool after buying the superior charge tti?

7. malamalama

malamalama Loaded Pockets

Just in general, I would say size for one. You mentioned working at a school, so perhaps you are planning on carrying it in a bag vs. on your belt. Otherwise, that's a big MT to carry on your belt or pocket. Also, depending on which tool you use more often, other MT's may have a better design. For example, people have mentioned the SOG pliers and their compound leverage. It's no different than what people have just said about the Charge having a superior knife with the S30v blade if you plan on using the blade often.

Of course, there's always the adventure of looking for something newer and better. What's the fun of having one multitool or knife and not looking at others. (Please note that this advice applies only to multitools and not spouses!)

Having said all that, I've been looking at the Charge TTi myself.

8. jonpwn

jonpwn Loaded Pockets

wave and charge tti are almost the same in size and weight.. I did look at the surge which is a bit cheaper than the charge tti and doesn't look too bad either.

i was at costco today and they had a wave+monarch 400 flashlight combo for 60 bucks.. it was really tempting but i was really not too comfortable squeezing the wave when i tried it at walmart..

is the tti much more comfortable to hol dthan the wave? i'm really considering the combo pack because i also lack an EDC flashlight and 45 lumens doesn't sound too bad.

9. derfyled

derfyled Loaded Pockets

The comfort of the handles justify having a TTI. I own both and I prefer the TTI by far, the sharp edges on the wave are really annoying.

10. jonpwn

jonpwn Loaded Pockets

that was what drove me to want the tti at first, a lot of people said it was more comfortable than the wave because it has rounded edges and some of the saws/knives were more recessed into the handle. however after seeing a few pictures and watching an upclose video comparing both, i do see the difference but I also see opportunity for me to play with the wave to make it more ergonomic and comfortable.

I think i'll go with the combo set, and later on get the tti if i really feel that the wave is unbearable.

Thanks for all the help guys!

11. mihatek

mihatek Empty Pockets

Now that I bought the Wave(like 1year ago) I wish that I payed the 30$ more for the Charge...Im gonna get the Charge too in some time :)

12. mihatek

mihatek Empty Pockets

EDIT: Sorry double post. :\

13. SP120K

SP120K Loaded Pockets

I used to want a TTi until I realized the extra 40-50th bucks is a waste for the features gained. The Wave has an excellent, high value price point. function and value trump form in my mind.

14. INFIDELxSTRONG

INFIDELxSTRONG Loaded Pockets

well, i can't say much about the Wave, but what i can say is i absolutely love my Charge TTi. for just a few dollars more i say go with the better materials in the s30v blade & titanium handles. i can't see myself needing to get any other full size multi tool now that i have this. i love it!

15. jsmitty1967
    • In Omnia Paratus

jsmitty1967 Go Big Blue

I have a Charge and a Wave. If I had neither I would be more likely to get the Wave and spend the extra $30-$40 on a dedicated folder. The tool set on the two is virtually identical so it really comes down to the blade. A MT is never going to be a knife replacement for me.

16. Vicepres

Vicepres Loaded Pockets

I own Both .... the CHARGE and the WAVE, BOTH are incredible Multi tools,

Personal preferences, budget, and of course the WOW factor !!! GET the CHARGE, the "extra" is for the s30v blade, and the Titanium scales - it is really a nice blade, but the 420hc on the WAVE isn't too shabby either. How do you plan to use it?

They weigh the same almost (8.2 oz Charge vs the 8.5 oz Wave) other "tools" are identical. I bring the weight issue up because you probably will want the BIT Kit, Extension, and a Holster to carry a Fenix E05 flashlight or other light. That's quite a bit of weight on your hip/waist. But your SET, you can CONQUER the WORLD ........ If you went for the WAVE you would be able to afford ALL the "extra's" and have a WOW factor with what this MT and Accessories, can do. If you went with the CHARGE, you still will have the WOW factor for just the MT, (that Titanium is very, very cool looking) and you can pick up the other tools/accessories, as a treat to yourself, later. (Christmas, B-Day, etc) Realistically the COST will be a long term investment, the $30-$40 extra you spend now for the CHARGE, you will not have to buy another Multi-Tool. ...........................I keep telling myself that, AS I BUY ANOTHER, and ANOTHER, and ANOTHER ........ But that is the way it is - ENJOY IT !!!! I know you will !!!

17. powernoodle

powernoodle Loaded Pockets

One would suspect that if this were Leatherman's intended or primary usage, it would have so stated in its literature. They characterize it more broadly - and generically - as just a crimper.

18. jonpwn

jonpwn Loaded Pockets

so an update since this thread is still on the first page;

I was at a costco and i saw a wave + monarch 400 combo for 60 bucks plus tax, i couldn't give it up. At the time i was deciding if i wanted to spend a little more for the fancier and better comfort for the charge, but at that price I couldn't resist since i didn't have an edc flashlight either. i'm pretty happy with the wave, it's not comfortable to squeeze tightly but it's not like it cuts my hands or anything. The combo is great, it came with a little pouch that i carry on my belt and it's perfect for me. I would definitely recommend this set from costco for anybody who's looking to get into EDC. Only thing i wish it might've included is a bit kit but those are all over ebay and i haven't come across the need for a different bit yet.

Maybe sometime in the future i'll pick up a charge for kicks.

product:
    http://www.amazon.com/Leatherman-831265-Multitool-Monarch-Flashlight/dp/B00382C5YQ

19. BertTom

BertTom Empty Pockets

I have a charge TTi and it is a great multitool, I do have an issue with using it to turn screws and hex bolts which makes it feel like it may snap the part that the different bits go into. Its probably just me feeling like it isn't as strong as it is but it gets a fair bit of twist on that metal. I'm not sure what the wave is like but it's something to keep in mind.

20. The CoPilot

The CoPilot Empty Pockets

They are both great tools, it's just that the Charge Tti is the better tool.