1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Leatherman Wave vs. Charge TTi

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by nw1911guy, Oct 21, 2012.

?

If you had to pick one, which would you choose?

1. Leatherman Charge TTi

25 vote(s)
    61.0%
  2. Leatherman Wave

16 vote(s)
    39.0%
  1. nw1911guy

nw1911guy Loaded Pockets

Anyone have any input on their preference between these 2? I have a Surge presently and I've decide it's just to big and heavy to ride around on my hip. I really like the interchangeable screwdriver insert arrangement though. The TTi also has the addition of an S30v blade which I thought was a nice touch. I also like the one hand opening of the 2 blades on the Wave and TTi. So lets hear the feedback.

Frankly I'd be happy with the pliers, crimper, cutters, interchangeable screwdriver, wood saw and main knife blade. Too bad neither has the interchangeable jaw inserts.

2. themaindude

themaindude Loaded Pockets

I upgraded to the TTi as an upgrade to a lost wave. At the time, I really appreciated the weight difference. Now however the TTi is relegated to my always with me organizer.

3. nw1911guy

nw1911guy Loaded Pockets

I see. Yeah, I decided the Surge is a bit over the top. Heck, it actually sticks out off my belt further than my .45 does. After everything do you still prefer it over the Wave?

4. themaindude

Absolutely. I definitely prefer the scales as well as the knife steel.
    I am not a fan of the included bit tips. I twisted the slotted head around in no time and I just find that the the tips just don't fit screw heads very well. The old waves non changeable screw drivers seemed to fit better for my applications. It is all good though. I now have the bit extender with my own set of screw tips.

Verdict. Get the Tti with extension to go in the sheath. You are versitile with the clip as well as the sheath.

Sent from my XT603 using Tapatalk 2

5. nw1911guy

nw1911guy Loaded Pockets

Already have the extension:) And I can always make single ended inserts with a surface grinder if I have to. I figured the knife steel might be a point in the TTi's favor as well.

6. Montetobuso

Montetobuso Loaded Pockets

Like I have said before on this forum: if money is a concern at all, the charge isn't worth it. I went from new Wave to charge TTi, and i like the s30v knife blade, but the price is to high to really justify only one real difference.

7. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

Although I agree the s30v blade is nice, for my purposes, 420HC would do well enough. The Charge advantage is the scales, much easier on the hand than the sharp edged Wave. Other than that, I am not stoked on the pliers mounted cap crimper. Every once in a while it is good for something, but I can't help worrying about how the jaw strength is compromised. So far, it hasn't been a problem, but I would prefer the Wave pliers.

Just from the standpoint of cost/value effectiveness, the Wave is a better deal. Actually, I was shopping for one when a TTi came up at a price only slightly higher, and therefore worth it. Even so, if you want one, I think it possible to justify the higher price for something you would seldom purchase and would be in use for many years. Say the difference would be $50. That wouldn't much matter after 5 years, which is how long I've had mine.

8. mikey

mikey Banned

I would actually go with the Charge AL as it has the 154cm blade but doesnt have that crimper deal in the plier's head, which I dont care for! The Charge AL is also cheaper than the TTi one but if I could only choose between the TTi and Wave, I would go with the Wave cause it is half price and doesnt have the plier issue mentioned. :)

9. retizotyo

retizotyo Loaded Pockets

The Wave is more "tool", the Charge TTi is more a "men's toy" in my opinion.
    I agree with znapschatz, the blade steel of the Wave is enough.
    So I would pick the Wave, but I can understand people who choose the Charge TTi. Toys boys are an importnat thing ;)

10. themaindude

I resemble that remark :). Does it make any difference if what I have is the original Ti. At the time I was looking for something that came with a pocket clip and with the lighter scales. It was the only game in town for multi tools.

Sent from my XT603 using Tapatalk 2

11. nw1911guy

nw1911guy Loaded Pockets

I can honestly say I look upon 420HC with skepticism. Been using knives with 154cm, ATS 34, D2, etc... for a while now. 420 and 440 haven't been my faves but they do take an awesome polish.

Idaho Gunslinger likes this.
  12. mikey

mikey Banned

I am sure the 420 is fine but I would really like it if Leatherman started using at least the 154cm in their MT's like the Surge, Rebar, ST300, Wave, etc. :)

13. nw1911guy

nw1911guy Loaded Pockets

Before that, I'd love for them to use forged jaws lol

14. Flying Dutchman

Flying Dutchman Loaded Pockets

I had a Wave and a TTi at the same time for a bit, but sold the wave. The TTi is nicer IMO, including better blade steel, cutting hook, and Ti handles. Since I had both, I kept the one I liked better regardless of cost.

If buying one or the other, one must consider the price. The TTi is close to $50 more consistently when looking at new tools.

15. Renegade Style

Renegade Style Loaded Pockets

I don`t know if you can really compare these two...!?
    I think the Wave is the basic Modell and the TTi is a better Version of this. It`s like comparing a Porsche 911 and a Porsche 911 GTS Turbo .

nw1911guy likes this.
  16. Dale

Dale Loaded Pockets

I completely agree. I have both, they are both good tools. The TTI is more along the upgrade, compared to the base model wave.

17. nw1911guy

nw1911guy Loaded Pockets

So the answer is to buy both? lol

Dale likes this.
  18. Dale

Dale Loaded Pockets

YEP!

nw1911guy likes this.
  19. nw1911guy

nw1911guy Loaded Pockets

I think I'm leaning towards buying the Charge TTi and a Rebar and swapping the jaws.

mikey likes this.
  20. Renegade Style

Renegade Style Loaded Pockets

the answer is, if you are pleased with the materials used on the wave, the wave is sufficient, but if you want to spend more money to get a better knife blade and some better handles, go for the charge. If you already carry a knife for edc and you will only use the one on the multitool for emergency, i would not spend the extra money. If you are a collector get them both, but they are very similar, so if you are not collecting i would get some modells which are more different, like the wave and the ST 300 or the juice XE 6.

jeeves09 and k.o.milo like this.